Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Chameleon teas

Today I finished the last 5 grams of a wonderful chinese Oolong that
wouldnīt only change itīs character depending on brewing parameters,
or slowly evolve in subsequent steeps but rather radically switch
among a set of different discreet aroma/taste "modes" or "profiles",
klick-klick-klick. In this case from vegetal w/notes of honey over an
intermediary fruity step [~peach/mango/vanilla] towards something
entirely floral - with exciting contrasts between taste and aroma. Not
too much of any of those "modes" would remind you of a preceding
steep, or reveal too much of the rest of the story. I gongfued some of
that tea for my old DJ guru and he simply couldnīt believe what was
happening in front of him, despite that some Darjeelings - especially
some of my beloved Autumnals, which he doesnīt like too much - can
come pretty close in terms of behaviour.
I bought some 100g of this Oolong back in Kunming, went back to the
hotel for a sampling session and when I returned the next morning to
snatch some more - guess what - "feeneeshed". The shopkeeper sold it
as TGY, but ? knows what it really was.

Does anyone know of any such teas and where I could get some ?

Many thanks in advance,
Karsten [2006 FF DJ Pouchong in tazza]

I'm looking for new teas to try The Anonymous Critique Tea 1 19-05-2017 09:43 AM
How many teas to you have? Ed[_14_] Tea 6 05-10-2009 10:02 PM
new teas [email protected] Tea 0 09-12-2006 03:35 PM
Industry Packed teas or loose teas? STJones Tea 5 06-02-2006 02:24 PM
it teas me over~ MJS Tea 0 04-01-2004 01:41 AM