Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Indian or Chinese?

Four different times, by at least two different authors, I've run
across this choice of tea offered in English mystery novels. It seems
to be an upper class choice. If I find myself is an English mystery
novel, what am I being offered, and how do I choose? Toci

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

toci > writes:

> Four different times, by at least two different authors, I've run
> across this choice of tea offered in English mystery novels. It seems
> to be an upper class choice. If I find myself is an English mystery
> novel, what am I being offered, and how do I choose? Toci

If I found myself in an English mystery novel, I'd worry about getting
killed. Even tea would be ... secondary.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Jun 3, 4:38 pm, Lewis Perin > wrote:
> toci > writes:
> > Four different times, by at least two different authors, I've run
> > across this choice of tea offered in English mystery novels. It seems
> > to be an upper class choice. If I find myself is an English mystery
> > novel, what am I being offered, and how do I choose? Toci

> If I found myself in an English mystery novel, I'd worry about getting
> killed. Even tea would be ... secondary.
>
> /Lew
> ---
> Lew Perin /

A true Englishman will always choose Empire-produced Indian tea over
Chinese.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

toci > wrote:
>Four different times, by at least two different authors, I've run
>across this choice of tea offered in English mystery novels. It seems
>to be an upper class choice. If I find myself is an English mystery
>novel, what am I being offered, and how do I choose? Toci

Probably an undistinguished Assam and a heavier China Black blend. I
would tend to ask for the China tea, weak with no cream please.

I am told that the current Prince of Wales blends are more or less close
to the common British China-tea blends of a century ago. Although China
teas were a small player in the market by then, there were still people
drinking them.
--scott

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Lewis Perin > wrote:
>toci > writes:
>
>> Four different times, by at least two different authors, I've run
>> across this choice of tea offered in English mystery novels. It seems
>> to be an upper class choice. If I find myself is an English mystery
>> novel, what am I being offered, and how do I choose? Toci
>>

>If I found myself in an English mystery novel, I'd worry about getting
>killed. Even tea would be ... secondary.

Stay away from the butler and anyone involved in cooking or photography
and you'll be okay.
--scott

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Jun 4, 3:07 pm, Lewis Perin > wrote:
> (Scott Dorsey) writes:

> > >If I found myself in an English mystery novel, I'd worry about getting
> > >killed. Even tea would be ... secondary.

> > Stay away from the butler and anyone involved in cooking or photography
> > and you'll be okay.

> Would tea preparation count as cooking for our current purposes?
> Remember, the English are prone to long steeps.
>
> /Lew
> ---
> Lew Perin /
> recently updated: San Dao Cha

Well, in one case the tea was offered by the person who turned out to
be the murderess. She wasn't a poisoner, however. All of the tea was
offered to the detective or the inspector or the sergeant, so they
weren't in much danger, at least at the end. Toci

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Jun 4, 1:58 pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
> toci > wrote:
> >Four different times, by at least two different authors, I've run
> >across this choice of tea offered in English mystery novels. It seems
> >to be an upper class choice. If I find myself is an English mystery
> >novel, what am I being offered, and how do I choose? Toci

> Probably an undistinguished Assam and a heavier China Black blend. I
> would tend to ask for the China tea, weak with no cream please.
>
> I am told that the current Prince of Wales blends are more or less close
> to the common British China-tea blends of a century ago. Although China
> teas were a small player in the market by then, there were still people
> drinking them.
> --scott

I love undistinguished Assams, but only in the morning. I guess I'd
brave the Chinese in the afternoon. Of course without adulterants:
"blend" scares me enough. Toci

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Lewis Perin > wrote:
(Scott Dorsey) writes:

>> >If I found myself in an English mystery novel, I'd worry about getting
>> >killed. Even tea would be ... secondary.

>> Stay away from the butler and anyone involved in cooking or photography
>> and you'll be okay.

>Would tea preparation count as cooking for our current purposes?
>Remember, the English are prone to long steeps.

With sodium cyanide, if Agatha Christie is to be believed.
--scott

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Jun 4, 3:09 am, toci > wrote:
> Four different times, by at least two different authors, I've run
> across this choice of tea offered in English mystery novels. It seems
> to be an upper class choice. If I find myself is an English mystery
> novel, what am I being offered, and how do I choose? Toci

It really depends on the moment, don't you think?

If you are on the run, a cup of Guyu Hong is an excellent company to
calm and help focus; if you are on the prowl through the dark night,
nothing may be better to keep you alert than a brisk cup of Praadesh
Gold CTC; but if it is later nights in the library looking up clues,
the Upanishad Spring Thunder is a great friend to keep you alert. A
fantastic morning pick-me-up after late night sleuthing is the Yunyao
Qingzhen; and to celebrate the bulter's the killer, and a mystery
solved, try the Gold Medal Fenghuang Zicha...

Then again, this being in the novel, nothing is really what it
seems...

:")

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Good one. I'd still be looking for the Chinese compounds.

Jim

wrote:

> Then again, this being in the novel, nothing is really what it
> seems...
>
> :")

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

In article . com>,
toci > wrote:

>Well, in one case the tea was offered by the person who turned out to
>be the murderess. She wasn't a poisoner, however. All of the tea was
>offered to the detective or the inspector or the sergeant, so they
>weren't in much danger, at least at the end. Toci

"Here's your arsenic dear. And your weed-killer biscuit. I've throttled
your parakeet. I've spat in the vases. I've put cheese in the
mouseholes. Here's your....nice tea, dear."

-Dylan Thomas (who was a Brit, if not an Englishman)