Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Cloudy Misty tea in my pot

These type of teas are called YunWu or Cloud and Mist which describes
the mountain weather at the elevation of origin. Not much sunlight or
rich soil. It struck me recently that also describes how it looks in
the pot. Although frothy and murky might be better. I enjoy these
teas when I need a change of pace. Hardly no nasal aroma or bud taste.
It does coat the throat and warm the stomach. If a tea could be
described as anemic this would be it. It has a dry taste. It stands
in stark contrast to the Yan or Rock teas with their mineral taste or
higher sunlight GaoShans with more floral flavor.

Jim

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I'm not familiar with this tea... could you tell where you bought it
from? It sounds like something I'd like to try, and currently I've been
hunting for some new teas and tastes for the winter.

- Dominic

On Jan 26, 11:41 am, "Space Cowboy" > wrote:
> These type of teas are called YunWu or Cloud and Mist which describes
> the mountain weather at the elevation of origin. Not much sunlight or
> rich soil. It struck me recently that also describes how it looks in
> the pot. Although frothy and murky might be better. I enjoy these
> teas when I need a change of pace. Hardly no nasal aroma or bud taste.
> It does coat the throat and warm the stomach. If a tea could be
> described as anemic this would be it. It has a dry taste. It stands
> in stark contrast to the Yan or Rock teas with their mineral taste or
> higher sunlight GaoShans with more floral flavor.
>
> Jim

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Hi, Dominic,
I had some of this white tea from Holy Mountain, although many Chinese
dealers seem to sell it web-wise. It's one of the "ten most famous"
Chinese teas, although I really don't know if "famous" equals popular.
The tea (Gushan Baiyun) from Fujian via Holy Mountain was not as
"anemic" as Jim's, it seems. Slightly sweet, slightly nutty.
I think it was reasonable considering it was domestically available and
I enjoyed in September when the weather was warmer.
To be really honest, I was taken withthe mythology of the
name...........
Shen

On Jan 26, 8:32 am, "Dominic T." > wrote:
> I'm not familiar with this tea... could you tell where you bought it
> from? It sounds like something I'd like to try, and currently I've been
> hunting for some new teas and tastes for the winter.
>
> - Dominic
>
> On Jan 26, 11:41 am, "Space Cowboy" > wrote:
>

> > These type of teas are called YunWu or Cloud and Mist which describes
> > the mountain weather at the elevation of origin. Not much sunlight or
> > rich soil. It struck me recently that also describes how it looks in
> > the pot. Although frothy and murky might be better. I enjoy these
> > teas when I need a change of pace. Hardly no nasal aroma or bud taste.
> > It does coat the throat and warm the stomach. If a tea could be
> > described as anemic this would be it. It has a dry taste. It stands
> > in stark contrast to the Yan or Rock teas with their mineral taste or
> > higher sunlight GaoShans with more floral flavor.

> > Jim- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Thanks for the info. I have to claim some ignorance when it comes to
Chinese green teas... I only have been exploring them for a year or
two. I had favored Japanese greens and Chinese teas other than greens.
I've been hitting the Chinese greens more and more as I go, but it is a
big task being as I am more familiar with Japan and Korea. I'm getting
there and I'm sure just the mention of this tea will have me reading
and learning by the weekend.

Dominic

On Jan 26, 12:53 pm, "Shen" > wrote:
> Hi, Dominic,
> I had some of this white tea from Holy Mountain, although many Chinese
> dealers seem to sell it web-wise. It's one of the "ten most famous"
> Chinese teas, although I really don't know if "famous" equals popular.
> The tea (Gushan Baiyun) from Fujian via Holy Mountain was not as
> "anemic" as Jim's, it seems. Slightly sweet, slightly nutty.
> I think it was reasonable considering it was domestically available and
> I enjoyed in September when the weather was warmer.
> To be really honest, I was taken withthe mythology of the
> name...........
> Shen
>
> On Jan 26, 8:32 am, "Dominic T." > wrote:
>
> > I'm not familiar with this tea... could you tell where you bought it
> > from? It sounds like something I'd like to try, and currently I've been
> > hunting for some new teas and tastes for the winter.

> > - Dominic

> > On Jan 26, 11:41 am, "Space Cowboy" > wrote:

> > > These type of teas are called YunWu or Cloud and Mist which describes
> > > the mountain weather at the elevation of origin. Not much sunlight or
> > > rich soil. It struck me recently that also describes how it looks in
> > > the pot. Although frothy and murky might be better. I enjoy these
> > > teas when I need a change of pace. Hardly no nasal aroma or bud taste.
> > > It does coat the throat and warm the stomach. If a tea could be
> > > described as anemic this would be it. It has a dry taste. It stands
> > > in stark contrast to the Yan or Rock teas with their mineral taste or
> > > higher sunlight GaoShans with more floral flavor.

> > > Jim- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

The big websites will refer to it as "Cloud and Mist" tea not YunWu.
It is a fairly common tea but the specific mountain names like HaiNan
or TongYu might hide the classification which are two notables. If it
says GaoShan it isn't YunWu. I think it is an interesting tea because
you can feel the nutrients in the throat and stomach.

Jim

On Jan 26, 9:32 am, "Dominic T." > wrote:
> I'm not familiar with this tea... could you tell where you bought it
> from? It sounds like something I'd like to try, and currently I've been
> hunting for some new teas and tastes for the winter.
>
> - Dominic
>
> On Jan 26, 11:41 am, "Space Cowboy" > wrote:
>

> > These type of teas are called YunWu or Cloud and Mist which describes
> > the mountain weather at the elevation of origin. Not much sunlight or
> > rich soil. It struck me recently that also describes how it looks in
> > the pot. Although frothy and murky might be better. I enjoy these
> > teas when I need a change of pace. Hardly no nasal aroma or bud taste.
> > It does coat the throat and warm the stomach. If a tea could be
> > described as anemic this would be it. It has a dry taste. It stands
> > in stark contrast to the Yan or Rock teas with their mineral taste or
> > higher sunlight GaoShans with more floral flavor.

> > Jim- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Yeah I have been looking and reading up on it... but like I find with
Chinese teas there are always like 3-4 variations on each type and then
of those there are as many more... some Chinese teas can be almost
unapproachable for me without unfolding layer after layer to figure out
which is which and even a remotely accurate picture of the "truth." I
have even seen "The ten famous teas" with 12 different teas listed...
and not having a full understanding of the language and geography it
leaves me at a loss sometimes.

I have already vowed to make this year all about China and beyond the
Snow leopard and Min Pei, this will be another one of my starting
points to understanding the geography, regions (outside of the common
ones), and lore. Totally OT but I watched the PBS series "Inside China"
the other day in HDTV and it was some of the most enjoyable TV I've
watched in years. I've always been into China and the religions, and
wars, and history but never got outside of that into more modern
everyday life and the lesser known areas. I'm enjoying it, and the
history is so deep it could be a lifetime pursuit... they have pickle
stores older than our nation.

- Dominic

On Jan 26, 1:52 pm, "Space Cowboy" > wrote:
> The big websites will refer to it as "Cloud and Mist" tea not YunWu.
> It is a fairly common tea but the specific mountain names like HaiNan
> or TongYu might hide the classification which are two notables. If it
> says GaoShan it isn't YunWu. I think it is an interesting tea because
> you can feel the nutrients in the throat and stomach.
>
> Jim

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Teance, whose teas I am so-so on in general, has a really great 'Drum
Cloud and Mist' green tea that would be a terrific place to start. I
found it delicious and accessible, as well as easy to brew.

cloudy wine McKevvy Winemaking 0 26-02-2010 06:38 PM
new news about misty may [email protected] General Cooking 0 22-08-2008 08:08 AM
Cloudy Dr. Deb Winemaking 6 24-10-2006 01:27 PM
Cloudy Strawberry bwesley7 Winemaking 7 02-01-2005 02:09 PM
cloudy ice tea Jim a General Cooking 30 19-10-2004 09:59 AM