Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Tea etiquette

I am planning a tea party for a group of my friends, several of whom
are from England. As such, I want to make sure that I do everything
correctly to meet their high standards, so I'm hoping someone here can
offer some help.

I know that the overwhelming majority of English people add milk their
tea. What type of milk should I offer? I usually use skim milk. Is
that acceptable or would that be akin to offering only low-calorie,
fat-free foods (which most people don't like)? Should I use whole milk
or compromise by using 1% or 2%? I thought of offering more than one
kind, but that seems like it might be going overboard and getting too
complicated.

Second question: should I offer lemon slices as an alternative to
milk? I'm not sure if adding lemon is an American thing that would
make my efforts to do an English tea look unauthentic. Someone told me
that in England that adding milk to tea is a "working class" thing that
most people do, but if you really want to be posh, then you should use
lemon. I have no idea if this is true or not. Does anyone know? I
really want to get this right.

Thanks in advance.

Fran

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

12/27/06

> I am planning a tea party for a group of my friends, several of whom
> are from England. As such, I want to make sure that I do everything
> correctly to meet their high standards, so I'm hoping someone here can
> offer some help.
>
> I know that the overwhelming majority of English people add milk their
> tea. What type of milk should I offer? I usually use skim milk. Is
> that acceptable or would that be akin to offering only low-calorie,
> fat-free foods (which most people don't like)? Should I use whole milk
> or compromise by using 1% or 2%? I thought of offering more than one
> kind, but that seems like it might be going overboard and getting too
> complicated.
>
> Second question: should I offer lemon slices as an alternative to
> milk? I'm not sure if adding lemon is an American thing that would
> make my efforts to do an English tea look unauthentic. Someone told me
> that in England that adding milk to tea is a "working class" thing that
> most people do, but if you really want to be posh, then you should use
> lemon. I have no idea if this is true or not. Does anyone know? I
> really want to get this right.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Fran

Hi Fran,

These are questions you will want to take over to
the listserve, TeaMail, where all the English tea
folk hang out. They will have all the nuances
regarding lemon, cream, and sugar at hand. Here's
there URL.

Seriously, they will help, I'm sure.

Michael

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

English tea is more informal than formal. English tea is for
gossiping. I would suggest cream and unrefined sugar on the side.
Don't forget the finger food like scones or sandwiches. If possible
use a loose British tea blend made for morning or afternoon. You're
the host. They are the guests. You accomodate not capitulate.

Jim

Fran wrote:
> I am planning a tea party for a group of my friends, several of whom
> are from England. As such, I want to make sure that I do everything
> correctly to meet their high standards, so I'm hoping someone here can
> offer some help.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I've seen what the British call Russian tea -- tea with lemon -- offered
in England, so I suppose someone over there must drink it. Make it
available, and (as someone else has said) relax. You aren't having tea
with the queen, but with some friends.

dmh
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

The actual tea as such is a minor part, and doesn't require as much
attention as if you're serving someone familiar with Chinese tea.
While the event of afternoon tea is something of an institution with
which most people will have some familiarity, the actual leaf you use
is a secondary concern. Remember that you're trying to appeal to a
broad range of tastes, so don't pick something too far from the
mainstream (such as lapsang souchong, Earl Grey, etc.). Darjeeling is
a classic for afternoon tea; or pick a robust, unchallenging blend.

Far more important is the attention that you pay to where you serve
tea, how you serve tea, and in what you serve tea. If you're billing
it as "afternoon tea", use your best china: a delicate, appealing pot,
pleasant cups, matching saucers, and matching plates if you can. At
the very least, don't use mugs / saucerless cups, or anything stained
or chipped, if you can avoid it. It's time to break out your "Sunday
best". There's no right answer, but the more effort you put in, the
more honour you're paying your guests, and the more touched they'll be.

Standard issue afternoon tea usually comes with some home-made (by
you!) scones, halved, and placed on a central plate. A small selection
of jams (not marmalade) in small pots (with small serving spoons). A
few curls of butter (not margarine or sunflower spread) placed in
another dish. Most people would rather have a crumbling,
poorly-constructed scone made by you than something androgynous bought
from a shop. It doesn't matter if you got it wrong, but at least you
tried. Never, ever serve "store food" (i.e., bought pre-made from a
store) at afternoon tea - it's a great way to get people to question
your taste. Officially, store food is for convenient only, and
something one eats when one must. Definitely not at afternoon tea. I
have known people to never return to a hotel based solely on the fact
that the cakes were obviously store-bought.

Crustless small sandwiches (quarter-slice triangles) and small cream
cakes are always good. We don't usually take muffins and those sorts
of small baked goods for afternoon tea, but a Victoria Sponge or
similar can be a classic. Delicate biscuits *perhaps*, but they're
getting close to being categorised as "store food" unless they're
particularly fine. Of course, home-made biscuits are great (but never
cookies, which are anathema to afternoon tea).

Offer a single jug of good milk (of any variety as long as it's not
100% skimmed - semi-skimmed is least controversial these days), and
have a bowl of brown and white rugged-cut sugar lumps (ideally with
serving tongs). One little plate per place, butterknife, teaspoon,
cup-and-saucer, napkin.

Pick a pleasant place for tea, with some pleasant unintrusive music
(fresh and gentle). Clear and clean the table, pick a decent
tablecloth. Unless you're going for a rustic farmhouse-style event,
don't pick the kitchen table (and only go for a rustic farmhouse-style
event if you have access to something approximating a rustic
farmhouse). Fresh flowers in a small, understated arrangement are just
fine.

The poster above said it best: accomodate, don't capitulate. You're
the host, and what you pick is, by default, what they will have. They
have no choice, you're the boss, and you shouldn't pander to their
every anticipated whim. Believe in yourself and have the confidence to
understand that they are obliged to enjoy what you serve, as long as
it's carefully done with no obvious tat (shop cakes, rough mugs,
unpleasant teapot, poor setting).

Like Basho said, "learn the rules, then forget them". Afternoon tea is
all about bringing a little gentility back to the busy world, so take
it slowly. Prove to your guests that the art of conversation isn't
dead, yet.

Everyone loves afternoon tea. Whether for gossip or for that
particularly type of profundity that usually only arises from the
nether regions of a pub, the fact that it is still with us is one of
the more encouraging aspects of modern life.

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Lemon seems quite unusual, at least in England. Most hotels only serve
milk. Perhaps have a few slices on hand, and ask if your guests would
like some, but otherwise don't bother would be my advice.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Fran > wrote:
>I know that the overwhelming majority of English people add milk their
>tea. What type of milk should I offer? I usually use skim milk. Is
>that acceptable or would that be akin to offering only low-calorie,
>fat-free foods (which most people don't like)? Should I use whole milk
>or compromise by using 1% or 2%? I thought of offering more than one
>kind, but that seems like it might be going overboard and getting too
>complicated.

Why not use full-cream milk? It tastes better, and if you're only using
a tiny amount, it's not going to clog your arteries appreciably. I don't
really get the American fascination with taking all the good part of the
milk away and drinking the thin stuff that is left over.

>Second question: should I offer lemon slices as an alternative to
>milk? I'm not sure if adding lemon is an American thing that would
>make my efforts to do an English tea look unauthentic. Someone told me
>that in England that adding milk to tea is a "working class" thing that
>most people do, but if you really want to be posh, then you should use
>lemon. I have no idea if this is true or not. Does anyone know? I
>really want to get this right.

It will not hurt anyone to offer lemon. Nobody has to use it if they
do not want. The idea is that if you are drinking strong tea, the citric
acid in the lemon kills the tannins in the tea. Presumably with a higher
quality tea, this won't be needed, but some people use it anyway.

I always ask for weak tea with no milk and no lemon when I am in the UK,
and people always look at me funny but give me the first pour out of the
pot. Note, however, that I take tea with crazy engineering guys.
--scott

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I always wanted to like things English but never could reshape my soul for
them. But I admire the quality of the inner logic. Its like a scientific
theory that you admire for its elaborate and clever structure but just
cannot make yourself believe a word of it ))))))))
With your permission I will repost and may be translate this piece into
Russian for my favorite Russian teatips.ru tea site, because I think you
managed to express the soul of the English afternoon tea here the very best
way possible.
That slightly dull, somewhat chalky, colorless, albeit elaborate and manly
style that I always compare with fine tall wrought-iron fences and gates of
the late 18-early 19 century palaces and it fits the subject perfectly. When
non-brits try to write this way it just feels too ***.

Sasha.

"HobbesOxon" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> [...]
> the host, and what you pick is, by default, what they will have. They
> have no choice, you're the boss, and you shouldn't pander to their
> every anticipated whim. Believe in yourself and have the confidence to
> understand that they are obliged to enjoy what you serve, as long as
> it's carefully done with no obvious tat (shop cakes, rough mugs,
> unpleasant teapot, poor setting).
>
> Like Basho said, "learn the rules, then forget them". Afternoon tea is
> all about bringing a little gentility back to the busy world, so take
> it slowly. Prove to your guests that the art of conversation isn't
> dead, yet.
>
> Everyone loves afternoon tea. Whether for gossip or for that
> particularly type of profundity that usually only arises from the
> nether regions of a pub, the fact that it is still with us is one of
> the more encouraging aspects of modern life.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

> It will not hurt anyone to offer lemon. Nobody has to use it if they
> do not want.

Scott -

I agree with you but there is a slight detail that you may have overlooked -
Lemon has an interesting ability to induce the "imaginary acididty" in the
mouths of people who rarely use it.
It was always a nightmare of opera singers that someone in the audience with
start eating a raw lemon while they sing and they would actually see it .
Just imagining that makes some people cringe.
I noticed that lemon, even just sitting on the table, has similar effect on
some of my english friends - just a sight of it.
Me - I love to bite into a whole one, without even slicing.

Sasha.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Thank you. You've been a great help.

HobbesOxon wrote:
> [...]
> the host, and what you pick is, by default, what they will have. They
> have no choice, you're the boss, and you shouldn't pander to their
> every anticipated whim. Believe in yourself and have the confidence to
> understand that they are obliged to enjoy what you serve, as long as
> it's carefully done with no obvious tat (shop cakes, rough mugs,
> unpleasant teapot, poor setting).
>
> Like Basho said, "learn the rules, then forget them". Afternoon tea is
> all about bringing a little gentility back to the busy world, so take
> it slowly. Prove to your guests that the art of conversation isn't
> dead, yet.
>
> Everyone loves afternoon tea. Whether for gossip or for that
> particularly type of profundity that usually only arises from the
> nether regions of a pub, the fact that it is still with us is one of
> the more encouraging aspects of modern life.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Scott Dorsey wrote:
>> Why not use full-cream milk? It tastes better, and if you're only using

> a tiny amount, it's not going to clog your arteries appreciably. I don't
> really get the American fascination with taking all the good part of the
> milk away and drinking the thin stuff that is left over.

I actually prefer skim milk. I have been using it for so long, it is
what I have become used to, but I realize that some of my guests might
not feel the same way. One mistake many Americans make when serving
tea is to offer half-and-half or cream, which totally overwhelm and
ruin the tea, IMO. And I have actually heard some people say the same
thing about whole milk, which is why I was unsure. The suggestion to
use something semi-skimmed (1% or 2%) is probably the way to go.

Thank you all for your help.

Fran

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I echo Sasha's sentiments, and praise Hobbes
for his excellent description, which captures
tea's mood and essence. I'm struck by the spiritual
brotherhood between English tea, as he describes
its essential inner qualities, and Japanese tea, albeit
they have their obvious differences.

Sasha, just how *** would too *** be? Does this
militate against anything blue on the tea table? Would
it be in poor taste to discuss the lovely fresh meadow
grass aroma of the steppes as wild stallions gallop about?

Michael

> [...]
>> the host, and what you pick is, by default, what they will have. They
>> have no choice, you're the boss, and you shouldn't pander to their
>> every anticipated whim. Believe in yourself and have the confidence to
>> understand that they are obliged to enjoy what you serve, as long as
>> it's carefully done with no obvious tat (shop cakes, rough mugs,
>> unpleasant teapot, poor setting).
>>
>> Like Basho said, "learn the rules, then forget them". Afternoon tea is
>> all about bringing a little gentility back to the busy world, so take
>> it slowly. Prove to your guests that the art of conversation isn't
>> dead, yet.
>>
>> Everyone loves afternoon tea. Whether for gossip or for that
>> particularly type of profundity that usually only arises from the
>> nether regions of a pub, the fact that it is still with us is one of
>> the more encouraging aspects of modern life.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

"Michael Plant" > wrote in message
>I echo Sasha's sentiments, and praise Hobbes
> for his excellent description, which captures
> tea's mood and essence. I'm struck by the spiritual
> brotherhood between English tea, as he describes
> its essential inner qualities, and Japanese tea, albeit
> they have their obvious differences.
>
> Sasha, just how *** would too *** be? Does this
> militate against anything blue on the tea table? Would
> it be in poor taste to discuss the lovely fresh meadow
> grass aroma of the steppes as wild stallions gallop about?
>
> Michael

As long as they are not unicorns... ))

Sasha.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Senior Member

Location: Los Angeles

I feel that Hobbes' instruction to hosting English affternoon tea
should be canonized. There is much "gongfu" involved, albeit less in
the tea being served. Thank you, Hobbes, for the intricate details of
the English tea culture.

Happy New Year to all!

~ Phyll

Alex Chaihorsky wrote:
> "Michael Plant" > wrote in message
> >I echo Sasha's sentiments, and praise Hobbes
> > for his excellent description, which captures
> > tea's mood and essence. I'm struck by the spiritual
> > brotherhood between English tea, as he describes
> > its essential inner qualities, and Japanese tea, albeit
> > they have their obvious differences.
> >
> > Sasha, just how *** would too *** be? Does this
> > militate against anything blue on the tea table? Would
> > it be in poor taste to discuss the lovely fresh meadow
> > grass aroma of the steppes as wild stallions gallop about?
> >
> > Michael
> >

> As long as they are not unicorns... ))
>
> Sasha.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
KM KM is offline

> Lemon seems quite unusual, at least in England. Most hotels only serve
> milk. Perhaps have a few slices on hand, and ask if your guests would
> like some, but otherwise don't bother would be my advice.

English tea sounds very much like the way tea is served in Australia if done
"properly". Down Under if you were to serve lemon with tea you would be
looked at oddly, and I can't say I've seen "half and half" milk before.
Generally you are only offered the choice of Milk and white sugar to add to
your black tea. (though most people use tea bags these days rather than
proper loose tea it must be said) I'm seen as a little bit unusual because
I have all my tea "black" these days.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

IMHO, people who are OK with teabags and look "oddly" if served lemon with
tea is like Paris Hilton looking "oddly" at a Bolshoi ballerina.
With all my sincere admiration for Down Under and its extremely friendly,
clever and fun inhabitants, their version of tea is not something they
should be very proud of. Even in very cuisinewise sophisticated Melbourne,
teapot will most likely conceal a lifeless corpse of a teabag.
Crocodile tail steaks, that's a different subject altogether.

Sasha.

"KM" > wrote in message

>> Lemon seems quite unusual, at least in England. Most hotels only serve
>> milk. Perhaps have a few slices on hand, and ask if your guests would
>> like some, but otherwise don't bother would be my advice.
>>

> English tea sounds very much like the way tea is served in Australia if
> done "properly". Down Under if you were to serve lemon with tea you would
> be looked at oddly, and I can't say I've seen "half and half" milk before.
> Generally you are only offered the choice of Milk and white sugar to add
> to your black tea. (though most people use tea bags these days rather
> than proper loose tea it must be said) I'm seen as a little bit unusual
> because I have all my tea "black" these days.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
KM KM is offline

> IMHO, people who are OK with teabags and look "oddly" if served lemon
> with
> tea is like Paris Hilton looking "oddly" at a Bolshoi ballerina.
> With all my sincere admiration for Down Under and its extremely friendly,
> clever and fun inhabitants, their version of tea is not something they
> should be very proud of. Even in very cuisinewise sophisticated Melbourne,
> teapot will most likely conceal a lifeless corpse of a teabag.
> Crocodile tail steaks, that's a different subject altogether.

Too true unfortunately. Most commercial places down here don't make tea well
at all. Its been ages since I've managed to get a good pot of tea in a
restaurant with loose leaf tea in the pot. Things have gone sadly down hill
from what I remember when I was younger. You are more likely to get good
coffee than good tea these days. Still, not everyone has forgotten, and you
can still get a good afternoon tea in some people's houses - usually based
on the UK examples already quoted in this thread.

Kat

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

"Fran" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I am planning a tea party for a group of my friends, several of whom
> are from England. As such, I want to make sure that I do everything
> correctly to meet their high standards, so I'm hoping someone here can
> offer some help.
>
> I know that the overwhelming majority of English people add milk their
> tea.

Having read all the responses thus far, my only advice is to stick with
milk, not cream, because tannins curdle cream - quite an undesirable effect,
albeit a fascinating sight.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Bluesea wrote:

> Having read all the responses thus far, my only advice is to stick with
> milk, not cream, because tannins curdle cream - quite an undesirable effect,
> albeit a fascinating sight.
>

> --
> ~~Bluesea~~

Bluesea,
your response reminded me of my first tea party. I did offer cream,
not even half and half (cream and milk) and an english tea blend but I
was to ignorant to know better, I thought I was offering the "best".
I had no idea what cream would do since I take my tea "black" but the
second tea party I tried it, I was NOT pleased.

No one complained, and now when I have a tea everyone asks for cream
but I'm going to offer half and half next time and see if that will
give the same feeling of richness without curdling. Heavy cream
overwhelms the lovely flavor of the tea. Kitty

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I think that half-and-half would also overwhelm the flavor of the tea.
I always thought whole milk was the "highest" in terms of fat-content
that should be used for tea. Tea would never be served with cream in
England and I'm sure that the English would consider the use of cream
or half-and-half to be incorrect. I think that is a mistake that is
often made in America because we're so much more oriented toward
coffee, which does take cream well. The next time you're feeling brave
enough to order tea in a restaurant, just try to get some milk - not
cream or half-and-half - to go with it. It's not easy.

I was not aware that cream would curdle when added to tea. I just
thought the reason for not using cream in tea was because it covered up
the flavor too much.

Kitty wrote:

> Bluesea,
> your response reminded me of my first tea party. I did offer cream,
> not even half and half (cream and milk) and an english tea blend but I
> was to ignorant to know better, I thought I was offering the "best".
> I had no idea what cream would do since I take my tea "black" but the
> second tea party I tried it, I was NOT pleased.
>
> No one complained, and now when I have a tea everyone asks for cream
> but I'm going to offer half and half next time and see if that will
> give the same feeling of richness without curdling. Heavy cream
> overwhelms the lovely flavor of the tea. Kitty

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Dec 31 2006, 11:27 am, "KM" > wrote:

> Too true unfortunately. Most commercial places down here don't make tea well
> at all. Its been ages since I've managed to get a good pot of tea in a
> restaurant with loose leaf tea in the pot. Things have gone sadly down hill
> from what I remember when I was younger. You are more likely to get good
> coffee than good tea these days. Still, not everyone has forgotten, and you
> can still get a good afternoon tea in some people's houses - usually based
> on the UK examples already quoted in this thread.

I think I'm lucky: at restaraunts recentlt I've been served good loose
tea in a nice one-person teapot.

The irony is that the worst tea I've been served in the last six months
have been at expensive afternoon teas! In the first case, we were in a
large group and were not offered a choice of teas and my cup was not
promptly refilled. In the second case it was Twinings only (though a
decent range) in a pot where it was almost impossible to remove the
leaves to prevent overbrewing.

But yes, you certainly take your chances when it comes to tea,
unfortunately.

Gavin

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea