Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Kenyan Tea

Does anyone know of a US source (internet prefered) for a tea from Kenya
called "Safari Pure?"

Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Linda Quick wrote:
> Does anyone know of a US source (internet prefered) for a tea from Kenya
> called "Safari Pure?"
>
> Thanks.

You could've found this by googling "Safari Pure" and tea

http://www.kenyateabags.com/product....cID=1&c=251644

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Linda Quick wrote:
> Does anyone know of a US source (internet prefered) for a tea from Kenya
> called "Safari Pure?"
>
> Thanks.

Ooops, I thought they were US based at first glance for some reason,
sorry!

I knew it was too easy to be true

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
jd jd is offline

Linda Quick wrote:
> Does anyone know of a US source (internet prefered) for a tea from Kenya
> called "Safari Pure?"
>
> Thanks.

@ Linda Quick

Jambo Linda!

I am a Scottish/American tea professional of 30+ years who has lived
and worked in Kenya for many years and have family there. KATEPA is the
government tea packer (brands include Safari Pure). This is important
to understand because Kenya is not only the largest exporter of tea to
the world market, but the majority of Kenya Tea is produced by a
government company called Kenya Tea Development Agency Ltd (formerly
Kenya Tea Development Authority). And ALL of the BEST African tea is
made by KTDA. So, yes, indeed you have nailed the correct tea producing
company!

Now, the issue becomes (1) which blend/brand?; (2) how do you buy it?
This is easily answered with no intermediate parties sticking their two
cents in - contact KTDA (and KATEPA if you must) directly after
studying their fascinating websites and ask them!

Go to http://www.ktdateas.com which will answer all your questions
about Kenya tea including weekly Mombasa Tea Auction price realisations
by garden mark which the world's largest traders like Lipton, Tetley,
Dilmah etc pay for massive bulk quantities. Of course, if you like, you
can directly to the Katepa site as well but it's nowhere as in-depth as
KTDA's.
As well, Katepa is obliged to through in non-KTDA teas for politically
sensitive reasons.

In your email to KTDA, tell them the KATEPA brand you have enjoyed but
that you "are looking for a loose tea blend of pure KTDA teas that's
even better than Safari Pure if such a best KTDA-marks-only blend is
available." Use that exact quote. Make certain you close the email to
KTDA by asking them if you may buy such a blend "directly from KTDA."

There is much propaganda and disinformation in the tea industry fed to
ultimate consumers like your goodself about such matters. There are
essentially two types of MAJOR tea production methods in the world:
"CTC" (of the KTDA variety) and "Orthodox" (of the Sri Lankan and the
other Asian lesser quality origins including such as the Indian and
Chinese varieties). Should you like to sample a trial order of the
latter as well, it is a frighteningly different cup and far preferred
by tea professionals. For that, go directly to Sri Lanka's largest
producer Dilmah at http://www.dilmahtea.com - their tea website is far
more awesome than any on earth. AND they'll ship to your exact taste
prefs if you provide them with the sort of liquor your palette prefers.

Happy Tea Drinking!
-jd

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

much snipping

> There is much propaganda and disinformation in the tea industry fed to
> ultimate consumers like your goodself about such matters. There are
> essentially two types of MAJOR tea production methods in the world:
> "CTC" (of the KTDA variety) and "Orthodox" (of the Sri Lankan and the
> other Asian lesser quality origins including such as the Indian and
> Chinese varieties). Should you like to sample a trial order of the
> latter as well, it is a frighteningly different cup and far preferred
> by tea professionals. For that, go directly to Sri Lanka's largest
> producer Dilmah at http://www.dilmahtea.com - their tea website is far
> more awesome than any on earth. AND they'll ship to your exact taste
> prefs if you provide them with the sort of liquor your palette prefers.

> -jd

Hi jd,

Putting aside the issue of bigger is not necessarily better, is the world of
tea production really divided neatly into but two MAJOR categories; CTC and
Orthodox? I've actually heard this before. Can we say of this, that if it
isn't CTC, it's Orthodox by definition?

I'm happy to hear about the success of Kenyan tea since it must, I hope,
provide income to many thousands of workers. Would you share a little bit
about working conditions on tea plantations in Kenya. Thanks.

Michael

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Michael; enlightenment -

KTDA is not a government organisation - it was privatized in 2001 and
is now a limited company owned by its shareholders many of whom are the
430,000 (yes 430,000!) small farmers whose tea the KTDA processes and
markets and to whom it shares the profits. KTDA does not have
plantations - each member farmer has on average less than an acre of
tea but these bushes and land are solely owned and managed by himself
and his family - private enterprise par excellence. Total production
of the small farmers is around 200,000 tonnes of CTC tea -around 65% of
all Kenyan tea (and about 50 tonnes of Orthodox tea - I put in this
single Orthodox line in 2003). KTDA manages some 60 tea factories to
process all this tea, but the factories are also private companies
owned by their shareholders, and again many of these shares are owned
by small tea farmers. KTDA tea is certainly the best in Kenya as the
farmers pluck much "finer" than the plantation sector represented by
Unilever, Brooke Bond, Finlay, and Linton Park.

Most tea is indeed either CTC or Orthodox in the ratio 60:40 globally.
A very small amount of tea (5%?) is made by the LTP process (Lawrie Tea
Processor - mainly in Malawi) and the SVTP process (Sniechowski
Vertical Tea Processor - mainly in Argentina) - but the teas they
produce are virtually indistinguishable from CTC teas. Orthodox teas
include those made with Rolling Tables and/or Rotorvanes. Hand Rolled
Teas (of which I am a devotee) are a sub set of Orthodox.

Nigel at Teacraft

On Oct 25, 11:54 am, Michael Plant > wrote:
> much snipping
>
> > There is much propaganda and disinformation in the tea industry fed to
> > ultimate consumers like your goodself about such matters. There are
> > essentially two types of MAJOR tea production methods in the world:
> > "CTC" (of the KTDA variety) and "Orthodox" (of the Sri Lankan and the
> > other Asian lesser quality origins including such as the Indian and
> > Chinese varieties). Should you like to sample a trial order of the
> > latter as well, it is a frighteningly different cup and far preferred
> > by tea professionals. For that, go directly to Sri Lanka's largest
> > producer Dilmah athttp://www.dilmahtea.com- their tea website is far
> > more awesome than any on earth. AND they'll ship to your exact taste
> > prefs if you provide them with the sort of liquor your palette prefers.
> > -jdHi jd,

> Putting aside the issue of bigger is not necessarily better, is the world of
> tea production really divided neatly into but two MAJOR categories; CTC and
> Orthodox? I've actually heard this before. Can we say of this, that if it
> isn't CTC, it's Orthodox by definition?
>
> I'm happy to hear about the success of Kenyan tea since it must, I hope,
> provide income to many thousands of workers. Would you share a little bit
> about working conditions on tea plantations in Kenya. Thanks.
>
> Michael

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

[Nigel]
> Michael; enlightenment -
>
> KTDA is not a government organisation - it was privatized in 2001 and
> is now a limited company owned by its shareholders many of whom are the
> 430,000 (yes 430,000!) small farmers whose tea the KTDA processes and
> markets and to whom it shares the profits. KTDA does not have
> plantations - each member farmer has on average less than an acre of
> tea but these bushes and land are solely owned and managed by himself
> and his family - private enterprise par excellence. Total production
> of the small farmers is around 200,000 tonnes of CTC tea -around 65% of
> all Kenyan tea (and about 50 tonnes of Orthodox tea - I put in this
> single Orthodox line in 2003). KTDA manages some 60 tea factories to
> process all this tea, but the factories are also private companies
> owned by their shareholders, and again many of these shares are owned
> by small tea farmers. KTDA tea is certainly the best in Kenya as the
> farmers pluck much "finer" than the plantation sector represented by
> Unilever, Brooke Bond, Finlay, and Linton Park.
>
> Most tea is indeed either CTC or Orthodox in the ratio 60:40 globally.
> A very small amount of tea (5%?) is made by the LTP process (Lawrie Tea
> Processor - mainly in Malawi) and the SVTP process (Sniechowski
> Vertical Tea Processor - mainly in Argentina) - but the teas they
> produce are virtually indistinguishable from CTC teas. Orthodox teas
> include those made with Rolling Tables and/or Rotorvanes. Hand Rolled
> Teas (of which I am a devotee) are a sub set of Orthodox.
>
> Nigel at Teacraft

Thanks, Nigel. Impressive. It's always nice to believe that
the tea I drink puts food on the actual tables of actual
human beings, not merely money into the hands of
middlefolk.

Hand made teas are a subset of Orthodox, you say, so
the terms begin to make sense. How about Pu'erh?
It defies classification.

Michael

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Kenya lies on the equator and the tea is grown in the high mountainous
central plateau. I could see Australopithecus enjoying a cuppa.

Jim

Michael Plant wrote:
> > Nigel at Teacraft

> Thanks, Nigel. Impressive. It's always nice to believe that
> the tea I drink puts food on the actual tables of actual
> human beings, not merely money into the hands of
> middlefolk.
>
> Hand made teas are a subset of Orthodox, you say, so
> the terms begin to make sense. How about Pu'erh?
> It defies classification.
>
> Michael

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Hi Nigel ,

We are a big Tea producers & exporter in Vietnam.
Could you pls give me some email addr from who are interested in
importing all CTC Black Tea and Green tea also.
We are looking for new buyers from new market.
Appreciate your good gestures with us.

Awaiting for your reply at: or

Nigel viết:
> [...]
> > > latter as well, it is a frighteningly different cup and far preferred
> > > by tea professionals. For that, go directly to Sri Lanka's largest
> > > producer Dilmah athttp://www.dilmahtea.com- their tea website is far
> > > more awesome than any on earth. AND they'll ship to your exact taste
> > > prefs if you provide them with the sort of liquor your palette prefers.
> > > -jdHi jd,

> > Putting aside the issue of bigger is not necessarily better, is the world of
> > tea production really divided neatly into but two MAJOR categories; CTC and
> > Orthodox? I've actually heard this before. Can we say of this, that if it
> > isn't CTC, it's Orthodox by definition?
> >
> > I'm happy to hear about the success of Kenyan tea since it must, I hope,
> > provide income to many thousands of workers. Would you share a little bit
> > about working conditions on tea plantations in Kenya. Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Yes, from 4,000 up to 7,000 ft either side of the Rift Valley and much
of it with Mt Kenya in the background. I like the idea of our ancient
cousins taking a cuppa but it would more likely to have been coffee
which is native to the areas north of Kenya. It was as an alternative
to the ubiquitous coffee in Kenya (viz. Karen Blixen - Out of Africa)
that planters brought in tea in the 1920's - I have plucked leaf from
those self same original bushes planted 1923 on Brooke Bond's Mabroukie
estate at Limuru near Nairobi - and still going strong.

Nigel at Teacraft

On Oct 25, 3:17 pm, "Space Cowboy" > wrote:
> Kenya lies on the equator and the tea is grown in the high mountainous
> central plateau. I could see Australopithecus enjoying a cuppa.
>
> Jim
>

> Michael Plant wrote:
> > > Nigel at Teacraft

> > Thanks, Nigel. Impressive. It's always nice to believe that
> > the tea I drink puts food on the actual tables of actual
> > human beings, not merely money into the hands of
> > middlefolk.

> > Hand made teas are a subset of Orthodox, you say, so
> > the terms begin to make sense. How about Pu'erh?
> > It defies classification.

> > Michael- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Yes, pu'erh is always somthing of a special case - but its primary
format is orthodox manufacture, with the benefit of post-process added
value manipulation. It will offend the purists no doubt but in tea
manufacturing logic it therefore occupies the same sector as instant
tea, decaffeinated tea or RTD tea! - all having their final product
character produced by further processing (be it natural or artificial)
of the dried leaf.

Nigel at Teacraft

On Oct 25, 2:39 pm, Michael Plant > wrote:
> [Nigel]
>

> > Michael; enlightenment -

> > KTDA is not a government organisation - it was privatized in 2001 and
> > is now a limited company owned by its shareholders many of whom are the
> > 430,000 (yes 430,000!) small farmers whose tea the KTDA processes and
> > markets and to whom it shares the profits. KTDA does not have
> > plantations - each member farmer has on average less than an acre of
> > tea but these bushes and land are solely owned and managed by himself
> > and his family - private enterprise par excellence. Total production
> > of the small farmers is around 200,000 tonnes of CTC tea -around 65% of
> > all Kenyan tea (and about 50 tonnes of Orthodox tea - I put in this
> > single Orthodox line in 2003). KTDA manages some 60 tea factories to
> > process all this tea, but the factories are also private companies
> > owned by their shareholders, and again many of these shares are owned
> > by small tea farmers. KTDA tea is certainly the best in Kenya as the
> > farmers pluck much "finer" than the plantation sector represented by
> > Unilever, Brooke Bond, Finlay, and Linton Park.

> > Most tea is indeed either CTC or Orthodox in the ratio 60:40 globally.
> > A very small amount of tea (5%?) is made by the LTP process (Lawrie Tea
> > Processor - mainly in Malawi) and the SVTP process (Sniechowski
> > Vertical Tea Processor - mainly in Argentina) - but the teas they
> > produce are virtually indistinguishable from CTC teas. Orthodox teas
> > include those made with Rolling Tables and/or Rotorvanes. Hand Rolled
> > Teas (of which I am a devotee) are a sub set of Orthodox.

> > Nigel at TeacraftThanks, Nigel. Impressive. It's always nice to believe that

> the tea I drink puts food on the actual tables of actual
> human beings, not merely money into the hands of
> middlefolk.
>
> Hand made teas are a subset of Orthodox, you say, so
> the terms begin to make sense. How about Pu'erh?
> It defies classification.
>
> Michael- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

[Nigel
> Yes, pu'erh is always somthing of a special case - but its primary
> format is orthodox manufacture, with the benefit of post-process added
> value manipulation. It will offend the purists no doubt but in tea
> manufacturing logic it therefore occupies the same sector as instant
> tea, decaffeinated tea or RTD tea! - all having their final product
> character produced by further processing (be it natural or artificial)
> of the dried leaf.

[Michael]
Doesn't offend me at all. Systematics and
taxonomy are strange creatures indeed. You
can organize the tea and the language however
you like. Right now, for example, I'm settled
down to a nice pot of blue tea. (When it comes
to "purists," one has to ask what they're pure of.)

Michael

TIMES: Barack Obama's Kenyan family celebrate by slaughtering bulls,chicken and goats tg General Cooking 29 12-11-2008 12:25 AM
Kenyan tea? Frieda Tea 10 24-11-2005 11:16 PM
Mandazi (Kenyan Doughnuts) International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 09-11-2003 06:56 PM