Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Tahoe Tea blasphemy - you'll love this!

Ignorance is not a big deal in general - one can't know it all. But
ignorance about things you declare your specialty is a big deal. The
following is a blazing example of even worse type - published ignorant
statement about tea... by a tea boutique owner!
They sell "select" tea in wine bottles.
Interestingly enough, I was not the one who discovered these guys, although
they are local (Tahoe City is a 30 min drive from my house). They were
pointed out to me by my Russian friends (www.teatips.ru - one of the best
tea sites in the world, IMHO) who asked me if this was some kind of an April
fool's joke. It was not.

Enjoy:

.............................."What many people don't realize, Clay contends,
is that the packaged tea people think they are drinking is actually herbal
infusions. Straight tea is from the tea leaf and becomes different types of
tea depending on how long it is brewed.

"All teas start off as green tea, unless you pick it earlier, than it is
white," Pacheco teaches. "You brew it and cook it and it becomes oolong tea.
You brew it a little more and it becomes pu-erh tea. If you ferment a
pu-reh, it becomes a black tea. When you ferment it, it looses some
caffeine. The pu-erh is the strongest tea."
Pacheco also offers the best way to drink their fine teas:

"I think the best way is over ice. You get more flavor when it's cold - the
flavor comes out."

If you think I made this up - I am flattered. Unfortunately I lack that kind
of imagination :
http://www.tahoe-world.com/content/view/778/75/

I love every and each passage of this blasphemy. But the best part is that
they state in the article that they (I quote) "We want to educate people
[about tea],".
And people think Rumsfield is clueless.

Sasha.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Senior Member

Location: Los Angeles

OMG!!! Morons! And to add salt to the wounds *cringe*

=====================

Alex Chaihorsky wrote:
> Ignorance is not a big deal in general - one can't know it all. But
> ignorance about things you declare your specialty is a big deal. The
> following is a blazing example of even worse type - published ignorant
> statement about tea... by a tea boutique owner!
> They sell "select" tea in wine bottles.
> Interestingly enough, I was not the one who discovered these guys, although
> they are local (Tahoe City is a 30 min drive from my house). They were
> pointed out to me by my Russian friends (www.teatips.ru - one of the best
> tea sites in the world, IMHO) who asked me if this was some kind of an April
> fool's joke. It was not.
>
> Enjoy:
>
> ............................."What many people don't realize, Clay contends,
> is that the packaged tea people think they are drinking is actually herbal
> infusions. Straight tea is from the tea leaf and becomes different types of
> tea depending on how long it is brewed.
>
> "All teas start off as green tea, unless you pick it earlier, than it is
> white," Pacheco teaches. "You brew it and cook it and it becomes oolong tea.
> You brew it a little more and it becomes pu-erh tea. If you ferment a
> pu-reh, it becomes a black tea. When you ferment it, it looses some
> caffeine. The pu-erh is the strongest tea."
> Pacheco also offers the best way to drink their fine teas:
>
> "I think the best way is over ice. You get more flavor when it's cold - the
> flavor comes out."
>
> If you think I made this up - I am flattered. Unfortunately I lack that kind
> of imagination :
> http://www.tahoe-world.com/content/view/778/75/
>
> I love every and each passage of this blasphemy. But the best part is that
> they state in the article that they (I quote) "We want to educate people
> [about tea],".
> And people think Rumsfield is clueless.
>
> Sasha.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Senior Member

Location: Los Angeles

I have no problem with drinking iced tea, btw, don't get me wrong...but
when someone who "wants to educate people about tea" and claiming their
tea is "fine", to suggest their "fine" tea is best drunk with ice is,
well,....I want to cry.

Phyll wrote:
> OMG!!! Morons! And to add salt to the wounds *cringe*
>
> =====================
> Pacheco also offers the best way to drink their fine teas:
>
> "I think the best way is over ice. You get more flavor when it's
> cold - the flavor comes out."
> =====================

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Actually, while I agree with you, this is a matter of taste. If I felt that
way I would also say in the article that the absolute, almost unversal
majority of tea lovers prefer it hot (and fresh brewed, but if you sell
bottled tea you kinda pass on that...))))))) So, I can give em some slack
on "iced" part. But the rest of it is moronic.

Sasha.

"Phyll" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I have no problem with drinking iced tea, btw, don't get me wrong...but
> when someone who "wants to educate people about tea" and claiming their
> tea is "fine", to suggest their "fine" tea is best drunk with ice is,
> well,....I want to cry.
>
> Phyll wrote:
>> OMG!!! Morons! And to add salt to the wounds *cringe*
>>
>> =====================
>> Pacheco also offers the best way to drink their fine teas:
>>
>> "I think the best way is over ice. You get more flavor when it's
>> cold - the flavor comes out."
>> =====================

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Senior Member

Location: Los Angeles

No, this is a matter of *lack* of taste. Flavors don't "come out" when
tea is ice cold. If he prefers it that way personally, I don't give a
damn. But my point is for the guy to declare to the uninitiated that
"fine" teas are best drunk with ice is a gross misrepresentation.

Cheers

Alex Chaihorsky wrote:
> Actually, while I agree with you, this is a matter of taste. If I felt that
> way I would also say in the article that the absolute, almost unversal
> majority of tea lovers prefer it hot (and fresh brewed, but if you sell
> bottled tea you kinda pass on that...))))))) So, I can give em some slack
> on "iced" part. But the rest of it is moronic.
>
> Sasha

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Alex Chaihorsky wrote:
> Enjoy:
>
> ............................."What many people don't realize, Clay contends,
> is that the packaged tea people think they are drinking is actually herbal
> infusions. Straight tea is from the tea leaf and becomes different types of
> tea depending on how long it is brewed.
>
> "All teas start off as green tea, unless you pick it earlier, than it is
> white," Pacheco teaches. "You brew it and cook it and it becomes oolong tea.
> You brew it a little more and it becomes pu-erh tea. If you ferment a
> pu-reh, it becomes a black tea. When you ferment it, it looses some
> caffeine. The pu-erh is the strongest tea."
> Pacheco also offers the best way to drink their fine teas:
>
> "I think the best way is over ice. You get more flavor when it's cold - the
> flavor comes out."

Wow. Just wow. I think I am now dumber for having read that.

Just last weekend I was standing in a line and had to listen to some
moron explaining to everyone around him how Microsoft Windows beat
Apple because they were open source and how Apple lost out by being
closed source for over a half an hour. It took all my inner-geek
strength from getting involved in the conversation and showing the guy
to be a complete tool. (sorry to those who don't understand geek)

Also, I think I had posted on here about how while on vacation last
month I went to a tes shoppe and they claimed their teas were the
"finest in the world" including their sencha which was "fresh picked
and imported"... boy was I surprised when the woman placed a teabag of
fannings/dust into 200+ degree water and warned me not to touch it for
5-10 minutes so it can brew and cool down. Ugh.

Amazing. *shakes head*

- Dominic

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Again, I agree. But by definition of "Des gustibitus non est disputantum"
the "lack of taste" is also "taste".
Their tea types explanation is what got me unglued!

Sasha.

"Phyll" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> No, this is a matter of *lack* of taste. Flavors don't "come out" when
> tea is ice cold. If he prefers it that way personally, I don't give a
> damn. But my point is for the guy to declare to the uninitiated that
> "fine" teas are best drunk with ice is a gross misrepresentation.
>
> Cheers
>
> Alex Chaihorsky wrote:
>> Actually, while I agree with you, this is a matter of taste. If I felt
>> that
>> way I would also say in the article that the absolute, almost unversal
>> majority of tea lovers prefer it hot (and fresh brewed, but if you sell
>> bottled tea you kinda pass on that...))))))) So, I can give em some
>> slack
>> on "iced" part. But the rest of it is moronic.
>>
>> Sasha

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 23:37:43 GMT, Alex Chaihorsky wrote:

> I love every and each passage of this blasphemy. But the best part is that
> they state in the article that they (I quote) "We want to educate people
> [about tea],".
> And people think Rumsfield is clueless.

That's scary. Really.

I wonder... should we restart this thread in the comments section of their
Web site? Maybe we can do some educating.

However, since they've only got one post, and it's really just a
placeholder, their blog ain't much of a blog.

--
Derek

"If women are expected to do the same work as men, we must teach them the
same things." -- Plato
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

lol, this is pure comedy. I look forward to seeing the site
operational, it will be an enjoyable thing to watch the education going
on. Perhaps we could create a letter of tea education to send them?

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

No different than the Snapple White tea commercial I mentioned earlier.
You need simple minded descriptions for the mass consumer of tea and
war. You bottle tea you bottle war. On the light side bottling tea is
nothing new. When I am on the road I look for Liptons unsweetened in
the cooler if I can't find it at the fountain.

Jim

PS My cheap tea blossoms fall apart. The expensive ones don't.

Alex Chaihorsky wrote:
> Ignorance is not a big deal in general - one can't know it all. But
> ignorance about things you declare your specialty is a big deal. The
> following is a blazing example of even worse type - published ignorant
> statement about tea... by a tea boutique owner!
> They sell "select" tea in wine bottles.
> Interestingly enough, I was not the one who discovered these guys, although
> they are local (Tahoe City is a 30 min drive from my house). They were
> pointed out to me by my Russian friends (www.teatips.ru - one of the best
> tea sites in the world, IMHO) who asked me if this was some kind of an April
> fool's joke. It was not.
>
> Enjoy:
>
> ............................."What many people don't realize, Clay contends,
> is that the packaged tea people think they are drinking is actually herbal
> infusions. Straight tea is from the tea leaf and becomes different types of
> tea depending on how long it is brewed.
>
> "All teas start off as green tea, unless you pick it earlier, than it is
> white," Pacheco teaches. "You brew it and cook it and it becomes oolong tea.
> You brew it a little more and it becomes pu-erh tea. If you ferment a
> pu-reh, it becomes a black tea. When you ferment it, it looses some
> caffeine. The pu-erh is the strongest tea."
> Pacheco also offers the best way to drink their fine teas:
>
> "I think the best way is over ice. You get more flavor when it's cold - the
> flavor comes out."
>
> If you think I made this up - I am flattered. Unfortunately I lack that kind
> of imagination :
> http://www.tahoe-world.com/content/view/778/75/
>
> I love every and each passage of this blasphemy. But the best part is that
> they state in the article that they (I quote) "We want to educate people
> [about tea],".
> And people think Rumsfield is clueless.
>
> Sasha.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

He actually called me today and I gave him a short overview in a smallest
possible nutshell (oxidation vs. fermentation) , partial oxidation (oolongs)
, etc.
He also asked about this group, so he may appear here at some point.

Sasha.

"TeaDave" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> lol, this is pure comedy. I look forward to seeing the site
> operational, it will be an enjoyable thing to watch the education going
> on. Perhaps we could create a letter of tea education to send them?

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 16:40:07 GMT, Alex Chaihorsky wrote:

> He actually called me today and I gave him a short overview in a smallest
> possible nutshell (oxidation vs. fermentation) , partial oxidation (oolongs)
> , etc.
> He also asked about this group, so he may appear here at some point.
>
> Sasha.

Hmm. Does this mean we need to develop a scale for providing commercial
consultation? (heh.)

--
Derek

"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they
kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -- Voltaire

Lake Tahoe alexandria789 Wine 4 31-08-2005 06:15 PM
Drinking beer is BLASPHEMY ! ! ! ! Hans-Marc Olsen Beer 17 29-11-2004 02:26 AM
Culinary Blasphemy Hasnor Lot General Cooking 296 08-08-2004 07:06 AM
TN: Tapestry in Tahoe Dale Williams Wine 5 07-08-2004 04:53 PM
TN: Tapestry in Tahoe Dale Williams Wine 1 07-08-2004 08:33 AM