Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Any idea where I could buy some Camellia Sinensis seeds?

I know before we had someone that grew a few tea bushes and posted
their results. Well, I was wondering if anybody here knew where I
could get some seeds because I want to have a try myself. Rather, I
don't want to try but I want to give the seeds to one of my friend's
relatives to try. They live in a rather high place in this province,
and I think it would be suitable for tea production. They have a tea
plantation already, but it's in disuse. Recently, it was bought by
someone I know.

Anyway, it could be a pretty interesting experiment to test some
different cultivars at that elevation. If anybody could provide me
with some sources, I'd be sure to send free samples to all for
tasting!! That is, if this ever becomes anything other than "meng
xiang" (a dream). I guess I could always hop over to Taiwan or visit
Fujian again.

Cheers to those that can help.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

"Mydnight" > writes:

> I know before we had someone that grew a few tea bushes and posted
> their results. Well, I was wondering if anybody here knew where I
> could get some seeds because I want to have a try myself. Rather, I
> don't want to try but I want to give the seeds to one of my friend's
> relatives to try. They live in a rather high place in this province,
> and I think it would be suitable for tea production. They have a tea
> plantation already, but it's in disuse. Recently, it was bought by
> someone I know.

Why not take some cuttings? The plants can't all have died, right?

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Lewis Perin wrote:
> "Mydnight" > writes:
>
> > I know before we had someone that grew a few tea bushes and posted
> > their results. Well, I was wondering if anybody here knew where I
> > could get some seeds because I want to have a try myself. Rather, I
> > don't want to try but I want to give the seeds to one of my friend's
> > relatives to try. They live in a rather high place in this province,
> > and I think it would be suitable for tea production. They have a tea
> > plantation already, but it's in disuse. Recently, it was bought by
> > someone I know.

> Why not take some cuttings? The plants can't all have died, right?
>
> /Lew
> ---
> Lew Perin /

I meant "here" as in here on the group. Wasn't it you?

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Try camforest.com

I got my tea seeds from them. they sell several varietals.

~j

Mydnight wrote:
> I know before we had someone that grew a few tea bushes and posted
> their results. Well, I was wondering if anybody here knew where I
> could get some seeds because I want to have a try myself. Rather, I
> don't want to try but I want to give the seeds to one of my friend's
> relatives to try. They live in a rather high place in this province,
> and I think it would be suitable for tea production. They have a tea
> plantation already, but it's in disuse. Recently, it was bought by
> someone I know.
>
> Anyway, it could be a pretty interesting experiment to test some
> different cultivars at that elevation. If anybody could provide me
> with some sources, I'd be sure to send free samples to all for
> tasting!! That is, if this ever becomes anything other than "meng
> xiang" (a dream). I guess I could always hop over to Taiwan or visit
> Fujian again.
>

> Cheers to those that can help.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Mydnight wrote:
> I know before we had someone that grew a few tea bushes and posted
> their results. Well, I was wondering if anybody here knew where I
> could get some seeds because I want to have a try myself.

That was me, and my tea trees are happily growing away in my
greenhouse. I've been away for the past week so sorry I didn't get back
sooner. I bought my seeds from seedrack.com. I grow bonsai trees, and
they have been a source for some otherwise hard to find seeds and the
germination rate from them is fairly high. However, Camellia Sinensis
seeds do not have a high germination success rate as it is and any old
or improperly stored seeds will spell complete disaster. I have been
working with a number of differet soils, fertilizer, and light/heat
conditions and I will be a year or two away from gaining any real
meaningful results. One is also earmarked for a bonsai, which I think
will be pretty cool.

They are a fairly large and woody seed, so try to order from someplace
that sells them by the number of seeds and not oz./g. and just as with
tea itself freshness and proper storage is key.

Good luck, let us know how goes it.
- Dominic

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Try "Horizon Herbs" - www.horizonherbs.com. A friend used them a while
ago with great success.
Shen
Mydnight wrote:
> I know before we had someone that grew a few tea bushes and posted
> their results. Well, I was wondering if anybody here knew where I
> could get some seeds because I want to have a try myself. Rather, I
> don't want to try but I want to give the seeds to one of my friend's
> relatives to try. They live in a rather high place in this province,
> and I think it would be suitable for tea production. They have a tea
> plantation already, but it's in disuse. Recently, it was bought by
> someone I know.
>
> Anyway, it could be a pretty interesting experiment to test some
> different cultivars at that elevation. If anybody could provide me
> with some sources, I'd be sure to send free samples to all for
> tasting!! That is, if this ever becomes anything other than "meng
> xiang" (a dream). I guess I could always hop over to Taiwan or visit
> Fujian again.
>

> Cheers to those that can help.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I would buy from http://www.camforest.com if I were still looking, now
that I have seen where Jason F. got his; They seem to have actual
varietals, as he stated, verus seedrack.com and horizonherbs.com, who
both have only "Camellia sinensis" seeds and label it as if all tea
comes from the same (unmentioned) varietal! *shakes fist*

I bought from seedrack.com about 3 months ago, and still have not
germinated.. :-/ I haven't given up on them, but I'm really not paying
much attention to them anymore; at this point I'll be happy if they
grow, but not sad if they don't.

I soaked mine in water (room temp) for a few days, scored an area of
the seed coating with a knife, soaked them a few more days in some tea
(room temp cooked pu), then planted them 1/2" down (half with the
scored area down, the other half with the scored area up) in some mixed
soil (1/3 potting mix, 1/3 used tea leaves and coffee grounds, 1/6
sand, 1/6 manure). Been throwing my used leaves on it and watering
every other day for 3 months now, but one dug-up seed shows no real
change. Time will tell, I guess.

-Drew

Shen wrote:
> Try "Horizon Herbs" - www.horizonherbs.com. A friend used them a while
> ago with great success.
> Shen
> Mydnight wrote:
> > I know before we had someone that grew a few tea bushes and posted
> > their results. Well, I was wondering if anybody here knew where I
> > could get some seeds because I want to have a try myself. Rather, I
> > don't want to try but I want to give the seeds to one of my friend's
> > relatives to try. They live in a rather high place in this province,
> > and I think it would be suitable for tea production. They have a tea
> > plantation already, but it's in disuse. Recently, it was bought by
> > someone I know.
> >
> > Anyway, it could be a pretty interesting experiment to test some
> > different cultivars at that elevation. If anybody could provide me
> > with some sources, I'd be sure to send free samples to all for
> > tasting!! That is, if this ever becomes anything other than "meng
> > xiang" (a dream). I guess I could always hop over to Taiwan or visit
> > Fujian again.
> >

> > Cheers to those that can help.

Growing Camellia Sinensis in the San Francisco Bay Area Carlo Milono Tea 1 11-03-2009 02:48 PM
Growing the camellia sinensis plant at home A. E. Baxter Tea 5 04-03-2005 01:33 AM
Camilla Sinensis Eric3 Tea 2 26-12-2004 07:55 PM
2nd Italian Symposium on Tea Camellia (Camellia sinensis) Livio Zanini Tea 0 11-03-2004 10:46 AM
Camellia Cooking oil 4sale Grobo General Cooking 5 21-02-2004 02:17 AM