George

Default First Times

I have to say that this group has done a lot to stimulate my curiosity
and expand my 'sushi' experience. That said, we went out again to our
favorite/only sushi bar/restaurant in our area, the Ichibon in Bangor,
Maine. They had Toro for $6.50 on the specials board along with Giant
Clam. I had the Toro sashimi which was served on shredded daikon with a
large leaf of green shiso as the backdrop to about 6 2"x1"x1/4" slices
fanned out and standing vertical. It melted in my mouth. Not sure if the
shiso was just garnish, but people should be careful what they put on my
plate because I ate it all. The toro had the look of corned beef.

Then, after drawing a blank on the menu, I asked my waitress if they had
anything with nattou. She wasn't sure so went up to the bar and asked
the itamae. I heard them very well from my seat as he asked her if I
ever had it before to which she responded that I hadn't, but that I
wasn't afraid to try it. She came back with a maki which seemed to have
been split open and a small piece of folded shiso inserted into the
split. Unfortunately, I couldn't really get a fix on the flavor of the
nattou and next time will ask for some straight. The shiso, while I have
grown fond of it in my three contacts with it was a predominant flavor.
I think I smelled the nattou as it was set on the table.

Wanting something else, I remembered the Giant Clam, but by that time it
wasn't available anymore, so I settled on some maguro and saba nigiri. I
wanted to compare the saba with the shime saba that I prepared last
month. There's was good, but not as good as mine. Humility doesn't allow
me to discount freshness and mine was less than 24 hours out of the
Atlantic.

$55 bucks later and I would do it all again if I could actually afford
it. Oh, but what a wonderful habit to have.

George
--
The First Nation people call him "Walking Eagle" because he's so full of
shit he can't fly anymore.
Dan Logcher

George wrote:
> I have to say that this group has done a lot to stimulate my curiosity
> and expand my 'sushi' experience. That said, we went out again to our
> favorite/only sushi bar/restaurant in our area, the Ichibon in Bangor,
> Maine. They had Toro for $6.50 on the specials board along with Giant
> Clam. I had the Toro sashimi which was served on shredded daikon with a
> large leaf of green shiso as the backdrop to about 6 2"x1"x1/4" slices
> fanned out and standing vertical. It melted in my mouth. Not sure if the
> shiso was just garnish, but people should be careful what they put on my
> plate because I ate it all. The toro had the look of corned beef.

Bangor??? Wow, that's up thar.

Yes, you can eat the shiso leaf. I sometimes wrap a piece of maguro with
it and some daikon and eat it. I wouldn't do it with toro though, since
you don't want to overpower the wonderful flavor and texture. Otherwise,
I just wrap the leaf around daikon, dip, and eat.

> Then, after drawing a blank on the menu, I asked my waitress if they had
> anything with nattou. She wasn't sure so went up to the bar and asked
> the itamae. I heard them very well from my seat as he asked her if I
> ever had it before to which she responded that I hadn't, but that I
> wasn't afraid to try it. She came back with a maki which seemed to have
> been split open and a small piece of folded shiso inserted into the
> split. Unfortunately, I couldn't really get a fix on the flavor of the
> nattou and next time will ask for some straight. The shiso, while I have
> grown fond of it in my three contacts with it was a predominant flavor.
> I think I smelled the nattou as it was set on the table.

Shiso is a very powerful flavor. I've had a Supped-up nattou maki that
had so many things in it, but the shiso was all I could taste. The only
maki I like with shiso is saba-shiso maki. The two flavors works so well
together. Next time, ask for a ika nattou handroll. You get the crunchy
texture of ika and the nutty flavor of nattou. The itamae may also put some
tobiko or masago in it too.

> Wanting something else, I remembered the Giant Clam, but by that time it
> wasn't available anymore, so I settled on some maguro and saba nigiri. I
> wanted to compare the saba with the shime saba that I prepared last
> month. There's was good, but not as good as mine. Humility doesn't allow
> me to discount freshness and mine was less than 24 hours out of the
> Atlantic.

I'm very jealous. I would love to prepare my own, just need to catch `em
first. I need a boat.

> $55 bucks later and I would do it all again if I could actually afford
> it. Oh, but what a wonderful habit to have.

I hear ya.. if my wallet was bottomless, I'd be eating it daily.

--
Dan
Musashi

"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
> George wrote:
> > I have to say that this group has done a lot to stimulate my curiosity
> > and expand my 'sushi' experience. That said, we went out again to our
> > favorite/only sushi bar/restaurant in our area, the Ichibon in Bangor,
> > Maine. They had Toro for $6.50 on the specials board along with Giant
> > Clam. I had the Toro sashimi which was served on shredded daikon with a
> > large leaf of green shiso as the backdrop to about 6 2"x1"x1/4" slices
> > fanned out and standing vertical. It melted in my mouth. Not sure if the
> > shiso was just garnish, but people should be careful what they put on my
> > plate because I ate it all. The toro had the look of corned beef.

> Bangor??? Wow, that's up thar.
>
> Yes, you can eat the shiso leaf. I sometimes wrap a piece of maguro with
> it and some daikon and eat it. I wouldn't do it with toro though, since
> you don't want to overpower the wonderful flavor and texture. Otherwise,
> I just wrap the leaf around daikon, dip, and eat.
>
> > Then, after drawing a blank on the menu, I asked my waitress if they had
> > anything with nattou. She wasn't sure so went up to the bar and asked
> > the itamae. I heard them very well from my seat as he asked her if I
> > ever had it before to which she responded that I hadn't, but that I
> > wasn't afraid to try it. She came back with a maki which seemed to have
> > been split open and a small piece of folded shiso inserted into the
> > split. Unfortunately, I couldn't really get a fix on the flavor of the
> > nattou and next time will ask for some straight. The shiso, while I have
> > grown fond of it in my three contacts with it was a predominant flavor.
> > I think I smelled the nattou as it was set on the table.

> Shiso is a very powerful flavor. I've had a Supped-up nattou maki that
> had so many things in it, but the shiso was all I could taste. The only
> maki I like with shiso is saba-shiso maki. The two flavors works so well
> together. Next time, ask for a ika nattou handroll. You get the crunchy
> texture of ika and the nutty flavor of nattou. The itamae may also put

some
> tobiko or masago in it too.
>
> > Wanting something else, I remembered the Giant Clam, but by that time it
> > wasn't available anymore, so I settled on some maguro and saba nigiri. I
> > wanted to compare the saba with the shime saba that I prepared last
> > month. There's was good, but not as good as mine. Humility doesn't allow
> > me to discount freshness and mine was less than 24 hours out of the
> > Atlantic.

> I'm very jealous. I would love to prepare my own, just need to catch `em
> first. I need a boat.

When I was up in Bar Harbor three years ago I was really surprised to hear
from the local people
that Saba can be caught from shore during the summer. But made perfect
sense, the water was too cold
for swimming in mid August. Got to see some seals and harbor porpises
though.
Down here in the NY area you absolutely need a boat to cach them, and they
are only here in the coldest
months December-April.

Musashi

"George" > wrote in message
> I have to say that this group has done a lot to stimulate my curiosity
> and expand my 'sushi' experience. That said, we went out again to our
> favorite/only sushi bar/restaurant in our area, the Ichibon in Bangor,
> Maine. They had Toro for $6.50 on the specials board along with Giant
> Clam. I had the Toro sashimi which was served on shredded daikon with a
> large leaf of green shiso as the backdrop to about 6 2"x1"x1/4" slices
> fanned out and standing vertical. It melted in my mouth. Not sure if the
> shiso was just garnish, but people should be careful what they put on my
> plate because I ate it all. The toro had the look of corned beef.

Sounds wonderful;. No doubt this must be local Bluefin, at that quality
and price. Shiso is an edible garnish so when used for decoration you can
eat it or leave it.

> Then, after drawing a blank on the menu, I asked my waitress if they had
> anything with nattou. She wasn't sure so went up to the bar and asked
> the itamae. I heard them very well from my seat as he asked her if I
> ever had it before to which she responded that I hadn't, but that I
> wasn't afraid to try it. She came back with a maki which seemed to have
> been split open and a small piece of folded shiso inserted into the
> split. Unfortunately, I couldn't really get a fix on the flavor of the
> nattou and next time will ask for some straight. The shiso, while I have
> grown fond of it in my three contacts with it was a predominant flavor.
> I think I smelled the nattou as it was set on the table.

If the aroma of the Shiso was that predominant, I think the itamae
didn't put an awful lot of nattou in that maki to start with.

> Wanting something else, I remembered the Giant Clam, but by that time it
> wasn't available anymore, so I settled on some maguro and saba nigiri. I
> wanted to compare the saba with the shime saba that I prepared last
> month. There's was good, but not as good as mine. Humility doesn't allow
> me to discount freshness and mine was less than 24 hours out of the
> Atlantic.

Very few places can match homemade from very fresh fish.
Sometimes if a good place just made theirs it will be good.
But if it's been serving customers 4-5 days, no way.

George

Dan Logcher wrote:
> George wrote:
>
>> I have to say that this group has done a lot to stimulate my curiosity
>> and expand my 'sushi' experience. That said, we went out again to our
>> favorite/only sushi bar/restaurant in our area, the Ichibon in Bangor,
>> Maine. They had Toro for $6.50 on the specials board along with Giant
>> Clam. I had the Toro sashimi which was served on shredded daikon with
>> a large leaf of green shiso as the backdrop to about 6 2"x1"x1/4"
>> slices fanned out and standing vertical. It melted in my mouth. Not
>> sure if the shiso was just garnish, but people should be careful what
>> they put on my plate because I ate it all. The toro had the look of
>> corned beef.

> Bangor??? Wow, that's up thar.
>
> Yes, you can eat the shiso leaf. I sometimes wrap a piece of maguro with
> it and some daikon and eat it. I wouldn't do it with toro though, since
> you don't want to overpower the wonderful flavor and texture. Otherwise,
> I just wrap the leaf around daikon, dip, and eat.
>
>> Then, after drawing a blank on the menu, I asked my waitress if they
>> had anything with nattou. She wasn't sure so went up to the bar and
>> asked the itamae. I heard them very well from my seat as he asked her
>> if I ever had it before to which she responded that I hadn't, but that
>> I wasn't afraid to try it. She came back with a maki which seemed to
>> have been split open and a small piece of folded shiso inserted into
>> the split. Unfortunately, I couldn't really get a fix on the flavor of
>> the nattou and next time will ask for some straight. The shiso, while
>> I have grown fond of it in my three contacts with it was a predominant
>> flavor. I think I smelled the nattou as it was set on the table.

> Shiso is a very powerful flavor. I've had a Supped-up nattou maki that
> had so many things in it, but the shiso was all I could taste. The only
> maki I like with shiso is saba-shiso maki. The two flavors works so well
> together. Next time, ask for a ika nattou handroll. You get the crunchy
> texture of ika and the nutty flavor of nattou. The itamae may also put
> some
> tobiko or masago in it too.
>
>> Wanting something else, I remembered the Giant Clam, but by that time
>> it wasn't available anymore, so I settled on some maguro and saba
>> nigiri. I wanted to compare the saba with the shime saba that I
>> prepared last month. There's was good, but not as good as mine.
>> Humility doesn't allow me to discount freshness and mine was less than
>> 24 hours out of the Atlantic.

> I'm very jealous. I would love to prepare my own, just need to catch `em
> first. I need a boat.
>
>> $55 bucks later and I would do it all again if I could actually afford
>> it. Oh, but what a wonderful habit to have.

> I hear ya.. if my wallet was bottomless, I'd be eating it daily.

Thanks for the tip, Dan. My partner had a cold squid salad that was
delicious and we often have Yum with Squid when we go to a Thai place in
Ellsworth on the road to Bar Harbor. The Yum is definitely all that - a
warm salad with lightly sautéed squid and a sweet & spicy dressing over
the top that we can't quite put our finger on.

--
The First Nation people call him "Walking Eagle" because he's so full of
shit he can't fly anymore.

James Silverton

Dan wrote on Wed, 28 Sep 2005 10:10:19 -0400:

DL> DL> George wrote:
DL> Yes, you can eat the shiso leaf. I sometimes wrap a piece
DL> of maguro with it and some daikon and eat it. I wouldn't
DL> do it with toro though, since you don't want to overpower
DL> the wonderful flavor and texture. Otherwise, I just wrap
DL> the leaf around daikon, dip, and eat.

I think individual response to the taste of shiso must differ. I
like it but I would not describe it as a powerful flavor. I like
to use it as a variant when eating tuna or salmon.....just one
or two pieces. I suppose shiso might be a bit like cilantro that
some people can't taste at all, some dislike saying it tastes
like soap and some, like me, are enthusiastic. The comment is
not totally inappropriate since a popular roll at a place I go
to includes it in what that they call a "Mexican Roll" :-)

James Silverton.

Dan Logcher

Musashi wrote:
> "Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
>
>>I'm very jealous. I would love to prepare my own, just need to catch `em
>>first. I need a boat.

> When I was up in Bar Harbor three years ago I was really surprised to hear
> from the local people
> that Saba can be caught from shore during the summer. But made perfect
> sense, the water was too cold
> for swimming in mid August. Got to see some seals and harbor porpises
> though.
> Down here in the NY area you absolutely need a boat to cach them, and they
> are only here in the coldest
> months December-April.

I read fishing reports from those lucky bastages on the Merrimack River who
go out to Plum Island area. They always start by going to a certain place to
pull in tons of macks for bait, and eating if they like it. Hell, I'd call it
a day and make saba.. Mmmmmm.

--
Dan

George > wrote:
> I have to say that this group has done a lot to stimulate my curiosity
> and expand my 'sushi' experience. . . . I had the Toro sashimi. . . .

I agree that sashimi is the way to start the meal (with some Junmai sake,
of course). If you can sit at the bar, you'll develop a relationship with
the Itamae. Ask him for sashimi muriowase omakase; mixed sashimi, his
choice.

> Then, after drawing a blank on the menu, I asked my waitress if they had
> anything with nattou. . . .

You might try ordering it hand rolled, natto temaki. Ume boshe (pickled
plum) is good that way, too, as is gobo (Burdock root) and <tada> baked
Salmon skin!

> Wanting something else, I remembered the Giant Clam,

Mirugai is a taste and texture treat for me.

> I wanted to compare the saba with the shime saba that I prepared last
> month. There's was good, but not as good as mine. Humility doesn't allow
> me to discount freshness and mine was less than 24 hours out of the
> Atlantic.

I know what you mean. I've had fresh caught Albacore sashimi. No wonder
grizzly bears like live salmon!

> $55 bucks later and I would do it all again if I could actually afford
> it. Oh, but what a wonderful habit to have.

And it just keeps growing on ya!

--
Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled War on Terror Veterans and
their families:

"Musashi" > wrote:
> [ . . . ]
> When I was up in Bar Harbor three years ago

Did you get to Owl's Head?

--
Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled War on Terror Veterans and
their families:
http://saluteheroes.org/ & http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Dan Logcher

> George > wrote:
>
> You might try ordering it hand rolled, natto temaki. Ume boshe (pickled
> plum) is good that way, too, as is gobo (Burdock root) and <tada> baked
> Salmon skin!

Ume Boshe never grew on me.. The saba shiso maki I get has gobo in it too.

> Mirugai is a taste and texture treat for me.

I like the texture, but the flavor can be a bit fishy for me.
I also don't like cherrystones for that reason.. though I love oysters.

>>I wanted to compare the saba with the shime saba that I prepared last
>>month. There's was good, but not as good as mine. Humility doesn't allow
>>me to discount freshness and mine was less than 24 hours out of the
>>Atlantic.

> I know what you mean. I've had fresh caught Albacore sashimi. No wonder
> grizzly bears like live salmon!

Smarter than the average bear! Oh that must be good, fresh albacore.
I'd like to catch some of the footballs they report off Plumb Island,
I don't know if they'd make it back to the dock in one piece.

>>$55 bucks later and I would do it all again if I could actually afford
>>it. Oh, but what a wonderful habit to have.

Actually, $55 is pretty good meal for me. That would include a large Sapporo,
and miso soup. Nowadays, the wife, son, and I get away with aboutr $100-$120
bill every time. The kid is only 3.5 years old and he eats as much as my wife.
I'm going to be broke when he hits his teens.

--
Dan

Musashi

> wrote in message
> "Musashi" > wrote:
> > [ . . . ]
> > When I was up in Bar Harbor three years ago

> Did you get to Owl's Head?
>
> --

To be honest I don't remember. We spent time mostly on that island, drove
all around went to Bass Harbor, NE Harbor,
rode around in Acadia the big park. I remember visiting a few lighthouses
and one was fairly short so that "might" have been Owls Head.
Maybe. We drove back down along the Maine coast.

Dan Logcher > wrote:
> wrote:
> > George > wrote:
> >
> > You might try ordering it hand rolled, natto temaki. Ume boshe (pickled
> > plum) is good that way, too, as is gobo (Burdock root) and <tada> baked
> > Salmon skin!

> Ume Boshe never grew on me.. The saba shiso maki I get has gobo in it
> too.

Ume Boshe is an acquired taste. Gobo is nice with many things.

> > Mirugai is a taste and texture treat for me.

> I like the texture, but the flavor can be a bit fishy for me.
> I also don't like cherrystones for that reason.. though I love oysters.

I love Mirugai sashimi, when it's still wriggling on yer plate!

> >>I wanted to compare the saba with the shime saba that I prepared last
> >>month. There's was good, but not as good as mine. Humility doesn't
> >>allow me to discount freshness and mine was less than 24 hours out of
> >>the Atlantic.

> > I know what you mean. I've had fresh caught Albacore sashimi. No wonder
> > grizzly bears like live salmon!

> Smarter than the average bear! Oh that must be good, fresh albacore.
> I'd like to catch some of the footballs they report off Plumb Island,
> I don't know if they'd make it back to the dock in one piece.

My cousin used to catch them when we were returning from a weekend sail to
the So Cal Channel Islands. The next day, my gardener, Tatsumo Itami would
sashimize (new word!?) them and we'd sit in the back yard and enjoy them
(with sake, of course). Wow! 17 years ago. Seems like yesterday.

> >>$55 bucks later and I would do it all again if I could actually afford
> >>it. Oh, but what a wonderful habit to have.

> Actually, $55 is pretty good meal for me. That would include a large
> Sapporo, and miso soup. Nowadays, the wife, son, and I get away with
> aboutr $100-$120 bill every time.

God. That's my bar bill!

> The kid is only 3.5 years old and he eats as much as my wife. I'm going
> to be broke when he hits his teens.

Yer bringing him up right, Dan!

"Musashi" > wrote:
> > wrote in message
> > "Musashi" > wrote:
> > > [ . . . ]
> > > When I was up in Bar Harbor three years ago

> > Did you get to Owl's Head?
> >

> To be honest I don't remember. We spent time mostly on that island, drove
> all around went to Bass Harbor, NE Harbor,
> rode around in Acadia the big park. I remember visiting a few lighthouses
> and one was fairly short so that "might" have been Owls Head.
> Maybe. We drove back down along the Maine coast.

The reason I asked is that my grandfather owned an island 1/2 mile off
Owl's Head. Deer Island, 1/4 mile by one mile, with a low water attached
Gull Island. My stupid uncle sold it for $13,000 without ever asking me or
my brother if we wanted to buy it! Understandable, I guess, what with taxes
being almost $300 a year. Last time I was there was '47 or '48.

"Musashi" > wrote:
> > wrote in message
> > Dan Logcher > wrote:
> > > [ . . . ]
> > > Ume Boshe never grew on me.. The saba shiso maki I get has gobo in it
> > > too.

> > Ume Boshe is an acquired taste. Gobo is nice with many things.
> > >

> I presume you guys are talking about Yama Gobo. Salted and pickled?
> When you say "Gobo" to a Japanese person they are thinking of the much
> larger thicker brown burdock root that is used in various dishes (like
> kinpira gobou, or Goboten (tenpura) but has no place at the sushi
> counter.

I used to order Gobo Temaki. Itamae obviously knew me than me. As do you,
Tomodachi-o. ;-)

--
Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled War on Terror Veterans and
their families:
http://saluteheroes.org/ & http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Dan Logcher

wrote:

> (pickled

> baked

>>>Ume Boshe never grew on me.. The saba shiso maki I get has gobo in it
>>>too.

>>Ume Boshe is an acquired taste. Gobo is nice with many things.
>>

> I presume you guys are talking about Yama Gobo. Salted and pickled?
> When you say "Gobo" to a Japanese person they are thinking of the much
> larger
> thicker brown burdock root that is used in various dishes (like kinpira
> gobou, or
> Goboten (tenpura) but has no place at the sushi counter.

Pickled is the way I have it in saba shiso maki.. it looked like a carrot
when I first had it, so I asked because it didn't taste like a carrot.

--
Dan
Roman Lewis

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 20:41:06 GMT, "Musashi" >
wrote:

> wrote in message
>> "Musashi" > wrote:
>> > [ . . . ]
>> > When I was up in Bar Harbor three years ago

>> Did you get to Owl's Head?
>>
>> --

>To be honest I don't remember. We spent time mostly on that island, drove
>all around went to Bass Harbor, NE Harbor,
>rode around in Acadia the big park. I remember visiting a few lighthouses
>and one was fairly short so that "might" have been Owls Head.
>Maybe. We drove back down along the Maine coast.

Mr. Musashi, your experiences and learning's are impressive. I have
seen that you travel, or have traveled quite a bit. Would you share a
brief history of yourself with us? I would love to hear how it is you
have come by the fascinating knowledge you seem to have an endless
ability to recall ! If you would rather not, I would certainly
understand. This is the net after all. If you could tell us a first
person, anonymous history of your life, I would certainly enjoy
hearing of it.

I'd be glad to return the gift so that you, also would know something
of who I am. If we all shared this type of exchange, it would make the
group even more interesting. We could think things like; "That's the
lawyer talking" or "That's the nice lady with 6 kids talking" or
"That's the Chef telling us that".

Roman Lewis > wrote:
> "Musashi" > wrote:
> > wrote in message
> >>
> >> Did you get to Owl's Head?
> >>

> >To be honest I don't remember. We spent time mostly on that island,
> >drove all around went to Bass Harbor, NE Harbor,
> >rode around in Acadia the big park. I remember visiting a few
> >lighthouses and one was fairly short so that "might" have been Owls
> >Head. Maybe. We drove back down along the Maine coast.

> Mr. Musashi, your experiences and learning's are impressive. I have
> seen that you travel, or have traveled quite a bit. Would you share a
> brief history of yourself with us? I would love to hear how it is you
> have come by the fascinating knowledge you seem to have an endless
> ability to recall ! If you would rather not, I would certainly
> understand. This is the net after all. If you could tell us a first
> person, anonymous history of your life, I would certainly enjoy
> hearing of it.
>
> I'd be glad to return the gift so that you, also would know something
> of who I am. If we all shared this type of exchange, it would make the
> group even more interesting. We could think things like; "That's the
> lawyer talking" or "That's the nice lady with 6 kids talking" or
> "That's the Chef telling us that".

Or, in my case, "I think I'm not as much of a jerk as I used to was!"

--
Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled War on Terror Veterans and
their families:
http://saluteheroes.org/ & http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Roman Lewis

On 28 Sep 2005 23:05:43 GMT, wrote:

>Roman Lewis > wrote:

>> >To be honest I don't remember. We spent time mostly on that island,
>> >drove all around went to Bass Harbor, NE Harbor,
>> >rode around in Acadia the big park. I remember visiting a few
>> >lighthouses and one was fairly short so that "might" have been Owls
>> >Head. Maybe. We drove back down along the Maine coast.

>> Mr. Musashi, your experiences and learning's are impressive. I have
>> seen that you travel, or have traveled quite a bit. Would you share a
>> brief history of yourself with us? I would love to hear how it is you
>> have come by the fascinating knowledge you seem to have an endless
>> ability to recall ! If you would rather not, I would certainly
>> understand. This is the net after all. If you could tell us a first
>> person, anonymous history of your life, I would certainly enjoy
>> hearing of it.
>>
>> I'd be glad to return the gift so that you, also would know something
>> of who I am. If we all shared this type of exchange, it would make the
>> group even more interesting. We could think things like; "That's the
>> lawyer talking" or "That's the nice lady with 6 kids talking" or
>> "That's the Chef telling us that".

>Or, in my case, "I think I'm not as much of a jerk as I used to was!"

That's funny!

Roman Lewis > wrote:
> On 28 Sep 2005 23:05:43 GMT, wrote:
> >Roman Lewis > wrote:

> >> Mr. Musashi, your experiences and learning's are impressive. I have
> >> seen that you travel, or have traveled quite a bit. Would you share a
> >> brief history of yourself with us? I would love to hear how it is you
> >> have come by the fascinating knowledge you seem to have an endless
> >> ability to recall ! If you would rather not, I would certainly
> >> understand. This is the net after all. If you could tell us a first
> >> person, anonymous history of your life, I would certainly enjoy
> >> hearing of it.
> >>
> >> I'd be glad to return the gift so that you, also would know something
> >> of who I am. If we all shared this type of exchange, it would make the
> >> group even more interesting. We could think things like; "That's the
> >> lawyer talking" or "That's the nice lady with 6 kids talking" or
> >> "That's the Chef telling us that".

> >Or, in my case, "I think I'm not as much of a jerk as I used to was!"

> That's funny!

You know me too well, Grasshopper!

--
Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled War on Terror Veterans and
their families:
http://saluteheroes.org/ & http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Musashi

> wrote in message
> "Musashi" > wrote:
> > > wrote in message
> > >
> > > Did you get to Owl's Head?
> > >

> > To be honest I don't remember. We spent time mostly on that island,

drove
> > all around went to Bass Harbor, NE Harbor,
> > rode around in Acadia the big park. I remember visiting a few

lighthouses
> > and one was fairly short so that "might" have been Owls Head.
> > Maybe. We drove back down along the Maine coast.
> >

> The reason I asked is that my grandfather owned an island 1/2 mile off
> Owl's Head. Deer Island, 1/4 mile by one mile, with a low water attached
> Gull Island. My stupid uncle sold it for $13,000 without ever asking me or
> my brother if we wanted to buy it! Understandable, I guess, what with

taxes
> being almost $300 a year. Last time I was there was '47 or '48.

oh,,,that's really really a shame.
Sounds like my idea of paradise.

Musashi

"Roman Lewis" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 20:41:06 GMT, "Musashi" >
> wrote:
>

> > wrote in message
> >>
> >> Did you get to Owl's Head?
> >>
> >> --

> >To be honest I don't remember. We spent time mostly on that island, drove
> >all around went to Bass Harbor, NE Harbor,
> >rode around in Acadia the big park. I remember visiting a few lighthouses
> >and one was fairly short so that "might" have been Owls Head.
> >Maybe. We drove back down along the Maine coast.
> >

> Mr. Musashi, your experiences and learning's are impressive. I have
> seen that you travel, or have traveled quite a bit. Would you share a
> brief history of yourself with us? I would love to hear how it is you
> have come by the fascinating knowledge you seem to have an endless
> ability to recall ! If you would rather not, I would certainly
> understand. This is the net after all. If you could tell us a first
> person, anonymous history of your life, I would certainly enjoy
> hearing of it.
>
> I'd be glad to return the gift so that you, also would know something
> of who I am. If we all shared this type of exchange, it would make the
> group even more interesting. We could think things like; "That's the
> lawyer talking" or "That's the nice lady with 6 kids talking" or
> "That's the Chef telling us that".

Mr. Lewis, I'm not exactly sure what I can tell you. I was born in Osaka
Japan and first came to the
US as a child. I returned to Japan and came back to the US for high school
and college.
I have since been back & forth. I speak Japanese and English fluently,
however in my house it is all
Japanese as well as 90% of the food. I have been a bit of an avid fisherman
really since I was a child,
and now although I simply can't spare as much time as I used to, I still
manage to sneak away to fish
a couple times a year. I enjoy both sal****er and freshwater fishing,
although sal****er provides a wider
range of tasty treats afterwards. As an avid scuba diver years ago, I have
speared and eaten many fish,
from Sheepshead off the Channel Islands to Amberjack off Islamorada.
I have been and continue to be in the shipping (maritime) business so most
of my travels have been business
related, but I always find the time to try and enjoy the local foods, with a
natural penchant for seafoods.
As to cooking, I am merely a weekend chef, but apart from preparing mostly
fish and seafood dishes, and
focusing on Japanese cuisine, I do engage in other cuisines. For example, I
grow basil each summer and
make pesto, and at least once I'll buy some eggplants and make babaganoush.
I used to be an avid beef eater, but due to issues which come with the age
(blood pressure, cholesterol,
blood sugar, etc) I don't eat as much beef these days in the quantities that
I used to. But I still do enjoy
beef dishes of all kinds from Pot Roasts to Porterhouse steaks to Korean
kalbi.
I haven't met anyone in this NG although three years ago I "almost" met Dan
Logcher when I stayed in Boston
one night. I think we were hoping to go to "sushi island" but it never
panned out.
There are others who have very obviously travelled extensively and have had
far more notable culinary
experiences than I have in this NG, which is why I enjoy reading and
participating in it.
BTW, I'm sure you know that Musashi is merely a usenet name. Anyway I do not
know if this is what you had in mind,
so please feel free to comment.

Dan Logcher

Musashi wrote:
> I haven't met anyone in this NG although three years ago I "almost" met Dan
> Logcher when I stayed in Boston
> one night. I think we were hoping to go to "sushi island" but it never
> panned out.

I'm still up for that meeting if you make your way to Boston again.
Sushi Island is still the best place around, as far as I'm concerned..
and the Japanese chef would really appreciate your expertise.

> BTW, I'm sure you know that Musashi is merely a usenet name. Anyway I do not
> know if this is what you had in mind, so please feel free to comment.

I enjoyed reading it.

--
Dan
Musashi

"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
> Musashi wrote:
> > I haven't met anyone in this NG although three years ago I "almost" met

Dan
> > Logcher when I stayed in Boston
> > one night. I think we were hoping to go to "sushi island" but it never
> > panned out.

> I'm still up for that meeting if you make your way to Boston again.
> Sushi Island is still the best place around, as far as I'm concerned..
> and the Japanese chef would really appreciate your expertise.

I haven't been up that way in a while but I'll certainly let you know if I
do.
Likewise if you're ever in NYC, I'm 2 blocks from Hatsuhana.

Musashi

"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
> Musashi wrote:
> >
> > I haven't been up that way in a while but I'll certainly let you know if

> > do.
> > Likewise if you're ever in NYC, I'm 2 blocks from Hatsuhana.

> Oh yeah!!! It's been 4 years since we were last there.. Not the one
> at Grand Central, right?
>
> --

No, the good one on 48th between Fifth and Madison.
I've eaten at the other one above Grand Central (they call it Hatsuhana
Park) as well
and it's definitely not as good as the "Main" store.

Dan Logcher

Musashi wrote:

> "Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
>
>>Musashi wrote:
>> >

>>>I haven't been up that way in a while but I'll certainly let you know if

>>>do.
>>>Likewise if you're ever in NYC, I'm 2 blocks from Hatsuhana.

>>Oh yeah!!! It's been 4 years since we were last there.. Not the one
>>at Grand Central, right?
>>
>>--

> No, the good one on 48th between Fifth and Madison.
> I've eaten at the other one above Grand Central (they call it Hatsuhana
> Park) as well and it's definitely not as good as the "Main" store.

Excellent! Yeah, I had heard the same.. Well, if someone in my wife's
NYC family gets married soon, we'll be there

--
Dan

LA Times Yum! Terry Pulliam Burd[_3_] General Cooking 27 11-08-2008 06:49 AM
2 LA Times Recipes Terry Pulliam Burd[_1_] General Cooking 5 29-05-2007 02:12 AM
Slavery times... vatel General Cooking 5 02-04-2006 02:02 AM
Cooking times Jmagerl Barbecue 30 19-11-2004 09:16 PM
"Iced Tea" myth again; Historical NY Times, LA Times, Chicago Tribune for $50 Barry Popik Historic 0 30-05-2004 07:08 AM