masayuki

Default Choice is yours

To sushi lovers who just sat down at a sushi bar, it would be
extremely vital to determine what type of sushi they will start
with on that day among the various types. Whenever one
chooses something good, one usually tries to make use of
rational thought. But, as far as the choice of sushi is concerned,
the problem is that one's uncontrolled appetite, unlike rationality,
easily influences the choice.

The main factor that makes the choice complicated and difficult
is that there are too many types of sushi. Check out the selections
in the refrigerated display case or on the menu, say twenty or
thirty different types. For those who get past this difficulty, it
might be a good idea to start with the same type of sushi at
every sushi bar - the tuna nigiri, for example. To select the same
sushi first in any sushi bar benefits those who want to exactly
interpret the different taste between products of the current
sushi bar and others, and to judge the standard of other selections
of sushi at the same sushi bar.

Let us say that today you are going to order eight kinds of nigiri
at a sushi bar - the tuna, salmon, oily mackerel, shrimp, crab,
tamago-yaki, ark shell and sea urchins. What would you start with?
If you take the tuna first, I wonder why the salmon is chosen as
the second, as well as why the mackerel can be selected as the
third? In most cases sushi choice is not rational or thoughtful; it is
carried out by the "nantonaku" feeling or for "some reason".

Nevertheless, the starter is a vital problem. The main reason for
this is that however starving you may be there is an inevitable
quantity limit to the amount of sushi you can stomach, as you
have a different appetite between an empty stomach and a full
one. So, the problem can be rephrased into "whether you order
the sushi which you want to eat most of all as the first choice or
the last choice". No doubt you can most deliciously eat your most
favourite sushi when you are most hungry.

But the problem is not so simple. Those who eat the most delicious
sushi as their first choice want to have the biggest pleasure straight
away, and to carefully savour the taste of great satisfaction then.
We can call them the First Eater. On the contrary, those who want
to eat otherwise may claim that when you eat your most favourite
sushi last, you are likely to feel far more satisfied because of the
highest expectation. We call this type of sushi lover Last Eater. I
am proud of being categorised as the Last Eater. My position argues
that after first eating the lesser delicious sushi, Last Eaters eat
the second less delicious sushi, and in other words eat more delicious
sushi than the previous choice in order of rank. Whenever Last
Eaters proceed in eating sushi they can enjoy progressively more
delicious sushi. Conversely, First Eaters have to eat less delicious
ones, like going down steps of deliciousness

How about a wild idea that if the chef accepts your request that
he/she makes just one nigiri, instead of a pair, you can circulate
the eight different types of sushi twice? Perhaps the chef feels
reluctant to make sushi in such a way, but it would be a better
idea to make sushi in the Moriawase style.

Then again, there is also the option to start and finish with your
favourite sushi, but that might just get you branded as too much
of a hedonist...

The choice is yours.

Masayuki

Dan Logcher

masayuki wrote:

> To sushi lovers who just sat down at a sushi bar, it would be
> extremely vital to determine what type of sushi they will start
> with on that day among the various types. Whenever one
> chooses something good, one usually tries to make use of
> rational thought. But, as far as the choice of sushi is concerned,
> the problem is that one's uncontrolled appetite, unlike rationality,
> easily influences the choice.

Unless ordering A La Carte, diners typically order a plate of sushi
(sushi deluxe and such). The entire order is put together and served.
Some sushi bars will serve you piece by piece in the order the chef
determines to compliment the texture and flavors of the last. I enjoy
this style of eating.

> The main factor that makes the choice complicated and difficult
> is that there are too many types of sushi. Check out the selections
> in the refrigerated display case or on the menu, say twenty or
> thirty different types. For those who get past this difficulty, it
> might be a good idea to start with the same type of sushi at
> every sushi bar - the tuna nigiri, for example. To select the same
> sushi first in any sushi bar benefits those who want to exactly
> interpret the different taste between products of the current
> sushi bar and others, and to judge the standard of other selections
> of sushi at the same sushi bar.

Some say that tamago is the acid test for a sushi bar. I don't order
this much, but instead use saba as my test. A good sushi chef will
prepare his saba just right, tender and not too pickled. I always let
the chef when when the saba is good, and they appreciate that.

> Let us say that today you are going to order eight kinds of nigiri
> at a sushi bar - the tuna, salmon, oily mackerel, shrimp, crab,
> tamago-yaki, ark shell and sea urchins. What would you start with?
> If you take the tuna first, I wonder why the salmon is chosen as
> the second, as well as why the mackerel can be selected as the
> third? In most cases sushi choice is not rational or thoughtful; it is
> carried out by the "nantonaku" feeling or for "some reason".

I let the chef serve them in order. Otherwise I choose the items that I
like the least, and save the best for last. I should order these the
following way: crab, tamago, shrimp, tuna, saba ark shell, salmon, uni.
I like saba more than ark shell, but put saba before or after salmon
might be too much oily strong flavors before my last piece of uni.

> Nevertheless, the starter is a vital problem. The main reason for
> this is that however starving you may be there is an inevitable
> quantity limit to the amount of sushi you can stomach, as you
> have a different appetite between an empty stomach and a full
> one. So, the problem can be rephrased into "whether you order
> the sushi which you want to eat most of all as the first choice or
> the last choice". No doubt you can most deliciously eat your most
> favourite sushi when you are most hungry.

I usually have a mix of favorites and less favorites, and then order
the last finishing pieces (usually uni, iwashi or saba, and super white
tuna).

> But the problem is not so simple. Those who eat the most delicious
> sushi as their first choice want to have the biggest pleasure straight
> away, and to carefully savour the taste of great satisfaction then.
> We can call them the First Eater. On the contrary, those who want
> to eat otherwise may claim that when you eat your most favourite
> sushi last, you are likely to feel far more satisfied because of the
> highest expectation. We call this type of sushi lover Last Eater. I
> am proud of being categorised as the Last Eater. My position argues
> that after first eating the lesser delicious sushi, Last Eaters eat
> the second less delicious sushi, and in other words eat more delicious
> sushi than the previous choice in order of rank. Whenever Last Eaters
> proceed in eating sushi they can enjoy progressively more delicious
> sushi. Conversely, First Eaters have to eat less delicious ones, like
> going down steps of deliciousness

I am the same, a Last Eater. I finish with my favorites.

> How about a wild idea that if the chef accepts your request that he/she
> makes just one nigiri, instead of a pair, you can circulate the eight
> different types of sushi twice? Perhaps the chef feels reluctant to make
> sushi in such a way, but it would be a better idea to make sushi in the
> Moriawase style.

This is typically how I eat my moriawase, go around the types eating
the first piece.. eating gari between each type. My order usually
remains the same on the second path.

> The choice is yours.

Thanks!

--
Dan
Dan Logcher

masayuki wrote:

> [...]

> the second less delicious sushi, and in other words eat more delicious
> sushi than the previous choice in order of rank. Whenever Last Eaters
> proceed in eating sushi they can enjoy progressively more delicious
> sushi. Conversely, First Eaters have to eat less delicious ones, like
> going down steps of deliciousness

I am the same, a Last Eater. I finish with my favorites.

> How about a wild idea that if the chef accepts your request that he/she
> makes just one nigiri, instead of a pair, you can circulate the eight
> different types of sushi twice? Perhaps the chef feels reluctant to make
> sushi in such a way, but it would be a better idea to make sushi in the
> Moriawase style.

This is typically how I eat my moriawase, go around the types eating
the first piece.. eating gari between each type. My order usually

Thanks!

--
Dan
wayne @ Left Coast

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 10:14:30 +0900, "masayuki" >
wrote:

>To sushi lovers who just sat down at a sushi bar, it would be
>extremely vital to determine what type of sushi they will start
>with on that day among the various types. Whenever one
>chooses something good, one usually tries to make use of
>rational thought. But, as far as the choice of sushi is concerned,
>the problem is that one's uncontrolled appetite, unlike rationality,
>easily influences the choice.
>
>The main factor that makes the choice complicated and difficult
>is that there are too many types of sushi. Check out ...

... opening statement snipped for brevity ...

>But the problem is not so simple. Those who eat the most delicious
>sushi as their first choice want to have the biggest pleasure straight
>away, and to carefully savour the taste of great satisfaction then.
>We can call them the First Eater. On the contrary, those who want
>to eat otherwise may claim that when you eat your most favourite
>sushi last, you are likely to feel far more satisfied because of the
>highest expectation. We call this type of sushi lover Last Eater. I
>am proud of being categorised as the Last Eater. My position argues
>that after first eating the lesser delicious sushi, Last Eaters eat
>the second less delicious sushi, and in other words eat more delicious
>sushi than the previous choice in order of rank. Whenever Last
>Eaters proceed in eating sushi they can enjoy progressively more
>delicious sushi. Conversely, First Eaters have to eat less delicious
>ones, like going down steps of deliciousness

I just turned 65 yesterday but my mother always said that, as a child,
I'd always "save" whatever food I most loved until the end of the meal
-- so I guess I've always been a "Last Eater" as well. That said, I
certainly don't feel that makes me a wiser consumer than the one who
goes for the gusto at the beginning ... simply different. Someone
who, by postponing immediate fulfillment, realizes the best still lies
ahead, thoroughly enjoying the tantalizing pleasure of anticipation.

>How about a wild idea that if the chef accepts your request that
>he/she makes just one nigiri, instead of a pair, you can circulate
>the eight different types of sushi twice? Perhaps the chef feels
>reluctant to make sushi in such a way, but it would be a better
>idea to make sushi in the Moriawase style.

Forgive my ignorance: does that mean the Moriawase style is, in fact,
where one nigiri instead of the usual two?

>Then again, there is also the option to start and finish with your
>favourite sushi, but that might just get you branded as too much
>of a hedonist...
>
>The choice is yours.
>
>Masayuki

Indeed. Actually, that option is predicated mostly upon the condition
of my wallet at the time, elsewise I would shamelessly display my
hedonism often. And if that were to occur, it's assumed my category
would be altered to "First AND Last Eater"! (burp) : )

Thank you very much for your post. It was most entertaining as well
as enlightening. I'm glad to have come across this newsgroup in time
to have read it.

Musashi

"masayuki" > wrote in message =
> [...]
> the second less delicious sushi, and in other words eat more delicious
> sushi than the previous choice in order of rank. Whenever Last=20
> Eaters proceed in eating sushi they can enjoy progressively more=20
> delicious sushi. Conversely, First Eaters have to eat less delicious=20
> ones, like going down steps of deliciousness
>=20
> How about a wild idea that if the chef accepts your request that=20
> he/she makes just one nigiri, instead of a pair, you can circulate=20
> the eight different types of sushi twice? Perhaps the chef feels=20
> reluctant to make sushi in such a way, but it would be a better=20
> idea to make sushi in the Moriawase style.
>=20
> Then again, there is also the option to start and finish with your=20
> favourite sushi, but that might just get you branded as too much=20

Unless one simply prefers a certain neta first, it is generally better =
to start with the light subtle
flavors first. If one eats Chuu-toro or Hamachi first, the strong oily =
taste will affect how you
can appreciate the Tai or Hirame afterwards.
The same applies to other strong taste neta, such as the saltiness of =
Ikura.
While eating gari in between does clear the taste from your mouth, I =
find that it takes too long.
I follow this rule usually and it does coincide with some of my =
favorites being eaten last.

Musashi

Musashi

"masayuki" > wrote in message =
> [...]
> favourite sushi, but that might just get you branded as too much=20
> of a hedonist...
>=20
> The choice is yours.
>=20
> Masayuki
>=20
>=20

Unless one simply prefers a certain neta first, it is generally better =
to start with the light subtle
flavors first. If one eats Chuu-toro or Hamachi first, the strong oily =
taste will affect how you
can appreciate the Tai or Hirame afterwards.
The same applies to other strong taste neta, such as the saltiness of =
Ikura.
While eating gari in between does clear the taste from your mouth, I =
find that it takes too long.
I follow this rule usually and it does coincide with some of my =

Are you really pro-choice? W.T.S. General Cooking 0 05-11-2011 12:25 AM
))>> COLLECTORS CHOICE <<(( [email protected] Tea 0 07-05-2009 09:55 AM
Yeast choice Jack Winemaking 5 15-06-2006 02:11 PM
Chef's Choice limey Cooking Equipment 36 01-12-2004 08:43 PM
Wine choice? Dar V Winemaking 18 25-11-2004 07:14 PM