FoodBanter.com

-   Sushi (https://www.foodbanter.com/sushi/)
-   -   U.S. sources of uni? (https://www.foodbanter.com/sushi/37923-u-s-sources-uni.html)

Frank D. Greco 10-10-2004 12:48 AM

U.S. sources of uni?

I understand uni (sea urchin roe) comes from the Boston area and Santa Barbara.
I'm sure I can find loads of places to sample fresh uni in Boston, but
where in Santa Barbara would any of you suggest is *the* spot for fresh uni?

Thanks,

Frank G.

Gerry 12-10-2004 10:07 PM

In article >, werewolf
> wrote:

> Uoko sounds good, Gerry! Where's Lake Forest?

On the west side of the 5 just south of where it intersects the 405.
23600 Rockfield Dr., Lake Forest.

The only time they have uni and other live items in their ice bin, is
on Fri and Sat. Maybe thursday. I haven't been there in years, but it
was the site of my great learning with Yoshi-san and later Hide-san.

--
"A Dictionary of Japanese Food, Ingredients & Culture" by Richard Hosking
(Tuttle, '97). All the hints one might need for exploring Japanese food.

"The Sake Handbook" by John Gaunter (Tuttle, '02). An excellent intro and
reference to sake.