Ariane Jenkins

Default New Orleans?

DH and I will be leaving in a couple weeks or so for a roadtrip to New
Orleans. Now, we fully intend to indulge in the local food as much as
we can (we'll be there for about 4-5 days), but the stuff looks pretty
rich. It could be that we'll need a sushi fix while we're there.

Does anyone have any reliable recommendations? We'll be in the French
Quarter and will probably be trying to either walk or use public
transportation to get everywhere, but going by car or taxi is not
completely out of the question if it's worth it. Prefer quieter,
traditional places, and we're willing to stretch the budget if there's
a particularly worthwhile place.

Ariane

P.S. Any other food recommendations are also welcome!
Charles Demas

In article >,
Ariane Jenkins > wrote:

>DH and I will be leaving in a couple weeks or so for a roadtrip to New
>Orleans. Now, we fully intend to indulge in the local food as much as
>we can (we'll be there for about 4-5 days), but the stuff looks pretty
>rich. It could be that we'll need a sushi fix while we're there.
>
>Does anyone have any reliable recommendations? We'll be in the French
>Quarter and will probably be trying to either walk or use public
>transportation to get everywhere, but going by car or taxi is not
>completely out of the question if it's worth it. Prefer quieter,
>traditional places, and we're willing to stretch the budget if there's
>a particularly worthwhile place.
>
>Ariane
>
>P.S. Any other food recommendations are also welcome!

Even great restaurants are reasonably priced in New Orleans.

I'd recommend Commander's Palace as a classic great New Orleans
restaurant, in the Garden District.

Check out the archives for rec.food.restaurants for "New Orleans"
or ask in that newsgroup.

Be sure to eat raw oysters, cooked crawfish, and a fried oyster
poor-boy.

Have bignet's and cafe ole for breakfast at Cafe duMond.

New Orleans is a great town to eat in.

Chuck Demas

--
Eat Healthy | _ _ | Nothing would be done at all,
Stay Fit | @ @ | If a man waited to do it so well,
| \___/ | http://world.std.com/~cpd
Gerry

In article >, Charles Demas
> wrote:

> >DH and I will be leaving in a couple weeks or so for a roadtrip to New
> >Orleans. Now, we fully intend to indulge in the local food as much as
> >we can (we'll be there for about 4-5 days), but the stuff looks pretty
> >rich. It could be that we'll need a sushi fix while we're there.
> >
> >Does anyone have any reliable recommendations? We'll be in the French
> >Quarter and will probably be trying to either walk or use public
> >transportation to get everywhere, but going by car or taxi is not
> >completely out of the question if it's worth it. Prefer quieter,
> >traditional places, and we're willing to stretch the budget if there's
> >a particularly worthwhile place.
> >
> >Ariane
> >
> >P.S. Any other food recommendations are also welcome!

> Even great restaurants are reasonably priced in New Orleans.
>
> I'd recommend Commander's Palace as a classic great New Orleans
> restaurant, in the Garden District.

Ditto. It is simply not to be missed. Incidentallyl they have a
two-top table in the kitchen proper that can be booked a few weeks in
advance. Since a lot of stars (Emeril and others) use to work the
kitchen at the Commander's Palace, it could be a lot of fun.

The Palace as a VERY strict dress code, jackets, no jeans, I'm unsure
about tennis shoes and ties. But it is strict. Be sure to book in
advance anyway.

> Check out the archives for rec.food.restaurants for "New Orleans"
> or ask in that newsgroup.
>
> Be sure to eat raw oysters, cooked crawfish, and a fried oyster
> poor-boy.

On the north-west side as you come into the French quarter, across from
the big-old honking showbiz-busy jazz place (forget the name) there is
Felix's on the corner. The north side is the restaurant, but on the
west side there is a stand-up oyster stand. Man-oh-man does it rock.

Soft-shell crabs have never been the same after New Orleans. I had a
couple at Port of Orleans in the quarter that had me licking the table.

> Have bignet's and cafe ole for breakfast at Cafe duMond.
>
> New Orleans is a great town to eat in.

A great town distinguished by exceptional food and music. I wouldn't
be in the state during Mardi Gras, but otherwise think it's too fine.

From my notes I ate at Hotsuhana and liked the sushi-chef and the food
was as good as any. So that's not really a recommendation.

Don't even THINK about leaving before having an original muffaletta
sandwich at Central Grocery!

A quick cab to the business district got us a last-minute table at
Lemon Grass which is a Vietnamese-New Orleanean mix that has to be
checked out. It was exceptional. Wear a jacket. After the
Commander's Palace it was the highlight of the feed.

We also ate at Gabrielle's which was a delight and I can recommend
easily.

--
"A Dictionary of Japanese Food, Ingredients & Culture" by Richard Hosking
(Tuttle, '97). All the hints one might need for exploring Japanese food.

"The Sake Handbook" by John Gaunter (Tuttle, '02). An excellent intro and
reference to sake.
Keith

Yea, New Orleans is THE place for food!

Felix's on Bourbon for oysters on the half shell and other food. The locals
eat there a lot.
I Second the recommendation Beignets at Cafe Du Monde. (Secret: there is a
takeout window on the side opposite the road. MUCH shorter line and just
grab a table anyway.)
Commander's palace is great (where Emeril got a start) but it's coat and
tie, and a taxi ride from the French Quarter
Another Brennan's restaurant (ALL of them are good!) is The Palace Cafe on
Canal St. You can go dressy casual and the food is FANTASTIC and very
reasonable for what you get.
Gotta go to Pat O'Brien's for Hurricanes.
Have a bloody mary at the stand up bar at Tujages.
Get a Muffaletta at Maspero's, Chartres and St. Louis. Oh yea, a hurricane
too.
Skip the Muffalettas at Central Grocery. Although they invented them,
they've succumbed to greed and they're not that good any longer, but the
lines are long and the prices are high.
Geez, I could go on and on. I go there 3-4 times a year.
Bad news, I know of no sushi places in the French Quarter. There are some
advertised in town, but I have no experience with them.

--

Keith
__
"Charles Demas" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Ariane Jenkins > wrote:
> >

> >DH and I will be leaving in a couple weeks or so for a roadtrip to New
> >Orleans. Now, we fully intend to indulge in the local food as much as
> >we can (we'll be there for about 4-5 days), but the stuff looks pretty
> >rich. It could be that we'll need a sushi fix while we're there.
> >
> >Does anyone have any reliable recommendations? We'll be in the French
> >Quarter and will probably be trying to either walk or use public
> >transportation to get everywhere, but going by car or taxi is not
> >completely out of the question if it's worth it. Prefer quieter,
> >traditional places, and we're willing to stretch the budget if there's
> >a particularly worthwhile place.
> >
> >Ariane
> >
> >P.S. Any other food recommendations are also welcome!

> Even great restaurants are reasonably priced in New Orleans.
>
> I'd recommend Commander's Palace as a classic great New Orleans
> restaurant, in the Garden District.
>
> Check out the archives for rec.food.restaurants for "New Orleans"
> or ask in that newsgroup.
>
> Be sure to eat raw oysters, cooked crawfish, and a fried oyster
> poor-boy.
>
> Have bignet's and cafe ole for breakfast at Cafe duMond.
>
> New Orleans is a great town to eat in.
>

> Chuck Demas
>
> --
> Eat Healthy | _ _ | Nothing would be done at all,
> Stay Fit | @ @ | If a man waited to do it so well,
> Die Anyway | v | That no one could find fault with it.
> | \___/ | http://world.std.com/~cpd

SRDas

Based on my various trips (last was 3 years ago)

Off the quarter:
Breakfast: Camellia Grill (cash only!) (it may be in danger of closing?)

Brigtsen's: Great restaurant, moderate prices(call for 504-861-7610 for
reservation) www.brigtsens.com

Uglesich's (you have to go there)

In/walking distance from the quarter:

Mothers's (On poydras?): great jambalaya, must try: ferdi (ask for extra
debris), good turtle soup (if they have it)

Napolean House Bar: good mufaletta, great pimm's cup (especially on a hot
day), try the sazerac here (as opposed to other bars at that don't care
about how a drink is mixed). Always good to stop here when you are tired and
thirsty from walking around.

Central Grocery: Mufaletta (invented here) - great when I had it last...

Felix's: great for oysters (better on weeknights, when all the damn tourists
aren't crawling all over the place)

Pat o' briens: hurricane - a must do for tourists only (especially large
fraternity groups), but you only realize that after you've gone in and tried
one (sigh).

The Old coffee Pot - we walked into this place and it was a good find for a
meal. Nothing fancy, but just very well done standards.

Commander's palace and galatoire's, of course
Bayona is also very good

And remember, it's "N'awlins"
Have a great trip!

Das

----------
In article >, Ariane Jenkins
> wrote:

> DH and I will be leaving in a couple weeks or so for a roadtrip to New
> Orleans. Now, we fully intend to indulge in the local food as much as
> we can (we'll be there for about 4-5 days), but the stuff looks pretty
> rich. It could be that we'll need a sushi fix while we're there.
>
> Does anyone have any reliable recommendations? We'll be in the French
> Quarter and will probably be trying to either walk or use public
> transportation to get everywhere, but going by car or taxi is not
> completely out of the question if it's worth it. Prefer quieter,
> traditional places, and we're willing to stretch the budget if there's
> a particularly worthwhile place.
>
> Ariane
>
> P.S. Any other food recommendations are also welcome!

Ariane Jenkins

Thanks to everyone for the great advice. I had been considering (in
no particular order): Acme, Felix's Oyster bar, Uglesich's,
Brigtsen's, Herbsaint, Palace Cafe, Galatoire's, Cafe du Monde, Dick
and Jenny's, Mother's, Dunbar's and Mandina's, among others. Will
definitely be sure we get muffalettas from somewhere, as well as the
usual po' boys, crawfish, jambalaya, gumbo, oysters, turtle soup, etc.

Commander's Palace was tempting, but the prices and dress code do make
me squirm a tiny bit. We'll keep considering it. Question raw
oysters... Late May/early June is not traditionally oyster season.
Won't this be a problem when it comes to finding raw oysters, or do
the oyster bars get them shipped in from elsewhere?

There was at least one sushi place listed in the French Quarter, but
it's called "Samarai Sushi". Names like that tend to make me wary.
We'll try to focus on local foods, but I'm not used to that rich of a
diet and anticipate a serious sushi craving to counterbalance all the
butter and fried stuff.

Ariane

Gerry

In article >, Ariane Jenkins
> wrote:

> Thanks to everyone for the great advice. I had been considering (in
> no particular order): Acme, Felix's Oyster bar, Uglesich's,
> Brigtsen's, Herbsaint, Palace Cafe, Galatoire's, Cafe du Monde, Dick
> and Jenny's, Mother's, Dunbar's and Mandina's, among others. Will
> definitely be sure we get muffalettas from somewhere, as well as the
> usual po' boys, crawfish, jambalaya, gumbo, oysters, turtle soup, etc.

Hey if you only hit a third of these you'll eat good. And don't forget
to take a few of your instinctive chances as well.

> Commander's Palace was tempting, but the prices and dress code do make
> me squirm a tiny bit.

It did me too, but the squirming stopped the second my butt was in the
chair. The ambience is warm, the service is exceptional. There is
simply no place to dock them on points.

> We'll keep considering it. Question raw
> oysters... Late May/early June is not traditionally oyster season.
> Won't this be a problem when it comes to finding raw oysters, or do
> the oyster bars get them shipped in from elsewhere?

Sorry I don't know about this one.

> There was at least one sushi place listed in the French Quarter, but
> it's called "Samarai Sushi". Names like that tend to make me wary.
> We'll try to focus on local foods, but I'm not used to that rich of a
> diet and anticipate a serious sushi craving to counterbalance all the
> butter and fried stuff.

I am, of course, a Japanese food nut (or else I wouldn't be in this
ng). But I would council against ANY sushi in New Orleans. Not
because you couldn't ferret out something worthwhile if you tried, but
because there is so much fantastic New Orleanean food there! Better
another person's angle on gumbo than another salmon-skin roll--no
matter how fantastic the later.

--
"A Dictionary of Japanese Food, Ingredients & Culture" by Richard Hosking
(Tuttle, '97). All the hints one might need for exploring Japanese food.

"The Sake Handbook" by John Gaunter (Tuttle, '02). An excellent intro and
reference to sake.
Ariane Jenkins

On Wed, 12 May 2004 21:20:09 -0700, Gerry > wrote:

> Hey if you only hit a third of these you'll eat good. And don't forget
> to take a few of your instinctive chances as well.

Will do. We plan to play most of it by ear and without (*gulp*)
making reservations before we go. DH and I are usually more into
hole-in-the-wall places rather than fancy restaurants, and it sounds
like New Orleans has plenty of both.

Commander's Palace
> It did me too, but the squirming stopped the second my butt was in the
> chair. The ambience is warm, the service is exceptional. There is
> simply no place to dock them on points.

LOL, so I've heard. Most people seem to agree it's worth a
trip for at least lunch.

>> We'll keep considering it. Question raw
>> oysters... Late May/early June is not traditionally oyster season.
>> Won't this be a problem when it comes to finding raw oysters, or do
>> the oyster bars get them shipped in from elsewhere?

> Sorry I don't know about this one.

So far, I haven't been able to find anything that says they
aren't available during that time, with the exception of places like
Casamento's--they're closed during the summer entirely.

> I am, of course, a Japanese food nut (or else I wouldn't be in this
> ng). But I would council against ANY sushi in New Orleans. Not
> because you couldn't ferret out something worthwhile if you tried, but
> because there is so much fantastic New Orleanean food there! Better
> another person's angle on gumbo than another salmon-skin roll--no
> matter how fantastic the later.

Yeah, I know. Believe me, I don't forsee a shortage in local
food, and in fact, there may be so much of it that we may not get to
sample it all in our short visit! (We do plan return visits,
happily.) But it's my habit to scope out possible sushi bars wherever
we go... just in case.

Ariane
Keith

Oh yea, I forgot to mention Brunch. You need to do it at either Brennan's or
the Court of Two Sisters. You need reservations ahead of time to get a
decent time slot. There is also a HUGE Sunday brunch at the Hilton
Riverside, but not the ambience of the other two.

As far as oysters... they're available all year, and I think local. I think,
but am not sure, that those things about only eating in months with "R" in
them go back to the days of poor refrigeration and handling, or maybe
spawning season. I eat them there year-round at Felix's.

--

Keith
__

wrote:

> > Hey if you only hit a third of these you'll eat good. And don't forget
> > to take a few of your instinctive chances as well.

> Will do. We plan to play most of it by ear and without (*gulp*)
> making reservations before we go. DH and I are usually more into
> hole-in-the-wall places rather than fancy restaurants, and it sounds
> like New Orleans has plenty of both.
>
> Commander's Palace
> > It did me too, but the squirming stopped the second my butt was in the
> > chair. The ambience is warm, the service is exceptional. There is
> > simply no place to dock them on points.

> LOL, so I've heard. Most people seem to agree it's worth a
> trip for at least lunch.
>
> >> We'll keep considering it. Question raw
> >> oysters... Late May/early June is not traditionally oyster season.
> >> Won't this be a problem when it comes to finding raw oysters, or do
> >> the oyster bars get them shipped in from elsewhere?

> > Sorry I don't know about this one.

> So far, I haven't been able to find anything that says they
> aren't available during that time, with the exception of places like
> Casamento's--they're closed during the summer entirely.
>
> > I am, of course, a Japanese food nut (or else I wouldn't be in this
> > ng). But I would council against ANY sushi in New Orleans. Not
> > because you couldn't ferret out something worthwhile if you tried, but
> > because there is so much fantastic New Orleanean food there! Better
> > another person's angle on gumbo than another salmon-skin roll--no
> > matter how fantastic the later.

> Yeah, I know. Believe me, I don't forsee a shortage in local
> food, and in fact, there may be so much of it that we may not get to
> sample it all in our short visit! (We do plan return visits,
> happily.) But it's my habit to scope out possible sushi bars wherever
> we go... just in case.
>
> Ariane

Cape Cod Bob

On Thu, 13 May 2004 05:18:48 -0500, "Keith"
> wrote:

>As far as oysters... they're available all year, and I think local. I think,
>but am not sure, that those things about only eating in months with "R" in
>them go back to the days of poor refrigeration and handling, or maybe
>spawning season. I eat them there year-round at Felix's.

If you are from the northeast, you may be disappointed in raw Gulf
oysters. I know I was. Do try them, but they are in no league with
the ubiquitous NE bluepoints or the various Cape Cod and Maine
oysters.
Cooked oyster dishes in N.O., however, are wonderful. They have
mastered the art of frying and baking oysters. In several small
places, I found oyster and artichoke soup - wonderful every place.

My dream is to spend 5 nights and two days in N.O.

As for muffalettas, throw some olives on a good Italian sub sandwich
when you are home, and skip the muffaletta. It gives you another
chance for a serving of etouffee or gumbo.
Cape Cod Bob
Visit my web site at http://home.comcast.net/~bobmethelis
Delete the two "spam"s for email

Keith

I'd love to come up there and try some. I can tell you that good oysters
from certain parts of LA near New Orleans and others are better than say,
oysters from Galveston Bay. I've always been surprised at the difference
between oyster beds that IMHO are so close. That's one reason I always eat
at Felix's... they seem to always come up with the best. Acme is OK, but
they've become a tourist trap with a line outside... Felix's is still where
a lot of the locals eat.

--

Keith
__
"Cape Cod Bob" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 13 May 2004 05:18:48 -0500, "Keith"
> > wrote:
>
> >As far as oysters... they're available all year, and I think local. I

think,
> >but am not sure, that those things about only eating in months with "R"

in
> >them go back to the days of poor refrigeration and handling, or maybe
> >spawning season. I eat them there year-round at Felix's.

> If you are from the northeast, you may be disappointed in raw Gulf
> oysters. I know I was. Do try them, but they are in no league with
> the ubiquitous NE bluepoints or the various Cape Cod and Maine
> oysters.
> Cooked oyster dishes in N.O., however, are wonderful. They have
> mastered the art of frying and baking oysters. In several small
> places, I found oyster and artichoke soup - wonderful every place.
>
> My dream is to spend 5 nights and two days in N.O.
>
> As for muffalettas, throw some olives on a good Italian sub sandwich
> when you are home, and skip the muffaletta. It gives you another
> chance for a serving of etouffee or gumbo.
> Cape Cod Bob
> Visit my web site at http://home.comcast.net/~bobmethelis
> Delete the two "spam"s for email

Gerry

In article >, Ariane Jenkins
> wrote:

> > Hey if you only hit a third of these you'll eat good. And don't forget
> > to take a few of your instinctive chances as well.

> Will do. We plan to play most of it by ear and without (*gulp*)
> making reservations before we go. DH and I are usually more into
> hole-in-the-wall places rather than fancy restaurants, and it sounds
> like New Orleans has plenty of both.

With any of the bigger names of famous restaurants, I learned my lesson
last time. I book the restaurant the MINUTE I hit town. One nameless
thursday I couldn't get in to 4 or 5 of my big hits on any of the next
three nights! Amazing! And this was September.

--
"A Dictionary of Japanese Food, Ingredients & Culture" by Richard Hosking
(Tuttle, '97). All the hints one might need for exploring Japanese food.

"The Sake Handbook" by John Gaunter (Tuttle, '02). An excellent intro and
reference to sake.
Gerry

In article >, Cape Cod Bob
> wrote:

> >As far as oysters... they're available all year, and I think local.
> >I think, but am not sure, that those things about only eating in
> >months with "R" in them go back to the days of poor refrigeration
> >and handling, or maybe spawning season. I eat them there year-round
> >at Felix's.

> If you are from the northeast, you may be disappointed in raw Gulf
> oysters. I know I was.

Spoken like a true nor'easter!

> Do try them, but they are in no league with the ubiquitous NE
> bluepoints or the various Cape Cod and Maine oysters.

It depends on which league you like! They are certainly quite
different but I became a bona-fide fan with the Gulf Stream varieties.

One local joint sometimes does "oyster tastings"! They are fantastic,
you get 3 or 4 each from various places. Hell, I like them all. Maybe
there is the added bonus in all such places of the air and climate and
all the rest coloring the process.

Not so long ago, Keith wrote:
> Get a Muffaletta at Maspero's, Chartres and St. Louis. Oh yea, a hurricane
> too.

Have to try this place. My favorite for gumbo and red beans & rice
was a hole in the wall called Coop's -- next door to my favorite bar:
Molly's (1107 Decatur) good beer, lots of locals and great frozen
Irish coffees.

Best burger in town: Port O'Call (838 Esplanade)
Best dancing: Thursdays at Mid City Lanes rock-n-bowl (4133 S.Carrollton Ave)

Not much of a sushi town!
--
Joe Morris
Live music in Atlanta http://jolomo.net/atlanta/shows.html
Frndthdevl

>From: "SRDas"

>Uglesich's (you have to go there)

absolutely,where NO chefs go to eat

Blair P. Houghton

Cape Cod Bob > wrote:
>My dream is to spend 5 nights and two days in N.O.

Now that's a quote.

--Blair
"'sit yours?"
Michael

"Ariane Jenkins" > wrote in message

> There was at least one sushi place listed in the French Quarter, but
> it's called "Samarai Sushi". Names like that tend to make me wary.
> We'll try to focus on local foods, but I'm not used to that rich of a
> diet and anticipate a serious sushi craving to counterbalance all the
> butter and fried stuff.

I walked by this place at least a dozen times on my last trip to NOLA and it
just didn't work for me. I went in a few times to look at the fish and just
wasn't impressed enough to eat there. You'll go by it if you're walking in
the Quarter so go for it if the spirit moves you.

My fav in NOLA is Christian's which is out of the Quarter. Felix's and Acme
are both good.

Gerry

Gerry > wrote:

> >With any of the bigger names of famous restaurants, I learned my lesson
> >last time. I book the restaurant the MINUTE I hit town. One nameless
> >thursday I couldn't get in to 4 or 5 of my big hits on any of the next
> >three nights! Amazing! And this was September.

> Why not call before you go?

Booking "the minute I hit town" means "calling before I go."

Of course "before" can mean 5 minutes or 5 days. I easily got next-day
reservationsa in New Orleans for a few days. Then on Thursday, as I
said above, I couldn't get reservations at many of my preferred
restaraunts for the entire weekend. Hope this repetition makes the
idea clear.

Reserve as far in advance as you can. Even with the lesser-known
restaurants you can find that their loyalists have booked it all up.