Dan Logcher

Default Nuts

Well, I was returning from some Christmas shopping at
a distance mall, driving down the high not far from my
favorite sushi bar and decided to have lunch.

So I stop at Sushi Island, which wasn't very busy on
a Monday (probably why the owner takes it off). I look
up at the specials board and see iwashi and aji, among
other items. So I order a "my choice" lunch plate of
sake, hamache, bincho maguro, super white tuna, and
ankimo, which comes with soup and a california roll.

As I'm eating, I saw one of the chefs draining something
in a sieve. Once he finished I asked what it was he was
making. He said it's like roe but hard to explain. I said,
"Oh you mean shirako?" He looked surprised that I knew
what it was, and gladly whipped some up for me. It was
served in a martini glass over shredded diakon, with pickled
radish and ponzu over the top. It was very tasty, and still
disturbingly creamy. I told him it is called milt in English,
which he wrote down.

While I was eating mine, a waitress or friend (couldn't tell)
came in and sat down for lunch. She knew everyone and stepped
into the kitchen, so I'm thinking waitress on her day off.
The chef told her about the shirako, and she opted for a taste.
She was very apprehensive at first, but once she got a taste,
she dove right in. She offered a taste to some of the other
workers, one accepted the other ran away

I finished mine off and the rest of my nigiri. I order my
desert, aji, iwashi, and uni. That was enough for me. Everything
was top notch today, the ankimo was very rich and nutty.. and the
uni was sweet as well. In the end, I got an extra piece of
ankimo, and the shirako for free. SWEET!!! Left a nice tip.

--
Dan

Michael

<Scawny Dog Johnson> wrote in message
s.com...
> On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 20:02:44 GMT, Dan Logcher
> > wrote:
>
> >Well, I was returning from some Christmas shopping at
> >a distance mall, driving down the high not far from my
> >favorite sushi bar and decided to have lunch.

> Dan, This newsgroup is not titled, alt.whatdan.hadforlunch.
> What makes you think we are even slightly interested in what you had

Snipping of bozo's mind fart.

Keep it up Dan, about as on topic as possible.

Dan Logcher

Scawny wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 20:02:44 GMT, Dan Logcher
> > wrote:
>

>>Well, I was returning from some Christmas shopping at
>>a distance mall, driving down the high not far from my
>>favorite sushi bar and decided to have lunch.
>>

> Dan, This newsgroup is not titled, alt.whatdan.hadforlunch.
> What makes you think we are even slightly interested in what you had
> for lunch (had you robbed a bank on your lunch break and gotten shot,
> THAT would have been interesting to know about) What sort of newsgroup
> would this be if EVERYONE posted what they had for lunch even one day
> a week..

A good one. I enjoy hearing about great sushi meals people have.

It makes me think of going for sushi again. Don't you? Oh, I forgot
that you never contribute anything sushi related to this newsgroup.

How sad. But please, feel free to go on another rant since I'm sure
you're convinced that we are even slightly interested.

--
Dan

Mekare

On 22-Dec-2003, Scawny Dog Johnson wrote:

> What makes you think we are even slightly interested in what you had
> for lunch

Well, I enjoyed it. Makes me want to go out and try shirako. I've never
had it
Gerry

In article >, Dan Logcher
> wrote:

> As I'm eating, I saw one of the chefs draining something
> in a sieve. Once he finished I asked what it was he was
> making. He said it's like roe but hard to explain. I said,
> "Oh you mean shirako?" He looked surprised that I knew
> what it was, and gladly whipped some up for me. It was
> served in a martini glass over shredded diakon, with pickled
> radish and ponzu over the top. It was very tasty, and still
> disturbingly creamy. I told him it is called milt in English,
> which he wrote down.

I had this for the first time about 3 weeks ago at Fish-shin, a new
place in Tustin, CA. As I frequently do, I just ordered the things I
hadn't seen before. I asked what "cod milt" was and the waiter, with
his limited English, couldn't get it out.

When it showed up, also martini glass and diakon, I knew what it was
immediately. There were four sizeable pieces. I tried one, and ate
the other to get rid of it as quickly as possible. My buddy tried it
and found the texture somewhat disagreeable.

I know have three things I'd prefer to avoid; natto, shirako and grated
yama-imo. Texture is the main component in all of them, but I didn't
care for the taste of the shirako eithr.

--
First they gerrymander us into one-party fiefs. Then they tell us they only
care about the swing districts. Then they complain about voter apathy.

Gerry

In article >, Dan Logcher
> wrote:

> How sad. But please, feel free to go on another rant since I'm sure
> you're convinced that we are even slightly interested.

What the ****? I thought there was some kinda joke in there
somewhere...no? Strange but true.

This group IS about whatever the hell anybody had for lunch provided
it's loosely or not-so-loosely involved with Japanese food.

--
First they gerrymander us into one-party fiefs. Then they tell us they only
care about the swing districts. Then they complain about voter apathy.
-- Gail Collins
Dan Logcher

Gerry wrote:

> In article >, Dan Logcher
> > wrote:
>

>>As I'm eating, I saw one of the chefs draining something
>>in a sieve. Once he finished I asked what it was he was
>>making. He said it's like roe but hard to explain. I said,
>>"Oh you mean shirako?" He looked surprised that I knew
>>what it was, and gladly whipped some up for me. It was
>>served in a martini glass over shredded diakon, with pickled
>>radish and ponzu over the top. It was very tasty, and still
>>disturbingly creamy. I told him it is called milt in English,
>>which he wrote down.
>>

> I had this for the first time about 3 weeks ago at Fish-shin, a new
> place in Tustin, CA. As I frequently do, I just ordered the things I
> hadn't seen before. I asked what "cod milt" was and the waiter, with
> his limited English, couldn't get it out.

Yeah, the chef didn't know how to describe it to me, but I know when
he said some kind of roe but not exactally. They didn't have it listed
on the specials board since it's only for Japanese diners. Maybe that's
why he didn't charge me for it.

> I know have three things I'd prefer to avoid; natto, shirako and grated
> yama-imo. Texture is the main component in all of them, but I didn't
> care for the taste of the shirako eithr.

It's very mild tasting, taking on the ponzu sauce and pickled diakon.
The only things I avoid are natto and ika shiokara. Both have a foul
taste, in my opinion. But maybe it's like Limburger cheese.

--
Dan

Charles Demas

In article >,
Michael > wrote:

><Scawny Dog Johnson> wrote in message
ws.com...
>> On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 20:02:44 GMT, Dan Logcher
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >Well, I was returning from some Christmas shopping at
>> >a distance mall, driving down the high not far from my
>> >favorite sushi bar and decided to have lunch.

>> Dan, This newsgroup is not titled, alt.whatdan.hadforlunch.
>> What makes you think we are even slightly interested in what you had

>Snipping of bozo's mind fart.
>
>Keep it up Dan, about as on topic as possible.

I'm surprised that you rose to the bait Michael.

Look at who you're responding to.

Dan hardly needs encouragement to keep posting and I suspect that that
ole fry cook just love seeing Dan rise to his bait *EACH* *AND* *EVERY*
time he throws out a hook.

It annoys me that Dan can't restrain himself from responding, and
reresponding again, but I expected better from you, Michael.

<sigh>

Chuck Demas

--
Eat Healthy | _ _ | Nothing would be done at all,
Stay Fit | @ @ | If a man waited to do it so well,
| \___/ | http://world.std.com/~cpd
Dan Logcher

Charles Demas wrote:

> In article >,
> Michael > wrote:
>
>><Scawny Dog Johnson> wrote in message
ews.com...

>>>Dan, This newsgroup is not titled, alt.whatdan.hadforlunch.
>>>What makes you think we are even slightly interested in what you had
>>>

>>Snipping of bozo's mind fart.
>>
>>Keep it up Dan, about as on topic as possible.
>>

> I'm surprised that you rose to the bait Michael.
>
> Look at who you're responding to.
>
> Dan hardly needs encouragement to keep posting and I suspect that that
> ole fry cook just love seeing Dan rise to his bait *EACH* *AND* *EVERY*
> time he throws out a hook.
>
> It annoys me that Dan can't restrain himself from responding, and
> reresponding again, but I expected better from you, Michael.

Why does it annoy you? He doesn't get a rise out of me, just a
response. A rise would be if I were ****ed off or something, and
I know he's just a nobody Frycook (all of his multiple personalities).

Anyways, good lunch today. Going back next week I think, if Charles
can make it from Vermont.

--
Dan

Charles Demas

In article >,
Dan Logcher > wrote:
>Charles Demas wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> Michael > wrote:
>>
>>><Scawny Dog Johnson> wrote in message
news.com...

>>>Snipping of bozo's mind fart.
>>>
>>>Keep it up Dan, about as on topic as possible.
>>>

>> I'm surprised that you rose to the bait Michael.
>>
>> Look at who you're responding to.
>>
>> Dan hardly needs encouragement to keep posting and I suspect that that
>> ole fry cook just love seeing Dan rise to his bait *EACH* *AND* *EVERY*
>> time he throws out a hook.
>>
>> It annoys me that Dan can't restrain himself from responding, and
>> reresponding again, but I expected better from you, Michael.

>Why does it annoy you? He doesn't get a rise out of me, just a
>response. A rise would be if I were ****ed off or something, and
>I know he's just a nobody Frycook (all of his multiple personalities).

OK, but just remember, you asked for an explanation.

He's generally disruptive in this newsgroup, and would go away if
he weren't getting responses. I'd prefer that he went away unfulfilled.

As long as you keep responding to him, he'll stick around,

WHICH IS'NT WHAT I WANT!

DON'T YOU GET IT DAN?

YOU'RE GIVING HIM EXACTLY WHAT HE WANTS!

As I see it, there are two explanations:

1. You're really that f**king stupid.

2. You're really the fry cook and you're playing a very clever game.

Whichever it is, I find it annoying, and FWIW, I don't think it's
explanation number 2.

Chuck Demas

--
Eat Healthy | _ _ | Nothing would be done at all,
Stay Fit | @ @ | If a man waited to do it so well,
Die Anyway | v | That no one could find fault with it.
| \___/ | http://world.std.com/~cpd

Dan Logcher

Charles Demas wrote:

> In article >,
> Dan Logcher > wrote:
>
>>Charles Demas wrote:

anews.com...

>>>I'm surprised that you rose to the bait Michael.
>>>
>>>Look at who you're responding to.
>>>
>>>Dan hardly needs encouragement to keep posting and I suspect that that
>>>ole fry cook just love seeing Dan rise to his bait *EACH* *AND* *EVERY*
>>>time he throws out a hook.
>>>
>>>It annoys me that Dan can't restrain himself from responding, and
>>>reresponding again, but I expected better from you, Michael.
>>>

>>Why does it annoy you? He doesn't get a rise out of me, just a
>>response. A rise would be if I were ****ed off or something, and
>>I know he's just a nobody Frycook (all of his multiple personalities).
>>

> OK, but just remember, you asked for an explanation.
>
> He's generally disruptive in this newsgroup, and would go away if
> he weren't getting responses. I'd prefer that he went away unfulfilled.
>
> As long as you keep responding to him, he'll stick around,
>
> WHICH IS'NT WHAT I WANT!
>
> DON'T YOU GET IT DAN?
>
> YOU'RE GIVING HIM EXACTLY WHAT HE WANTS!
>
> As I see it, there are two explanations:
>
> 1. You're really that f**king stupid.
>
> 2. You're really the fry cook and you're playing a very clever game.
>
> Whichever it is, I find it annoying, and FWIW, I don't think it's
> explanation number 2.

3. Maybe I do it expressly to annoy you.

4. I don't see it as giving him anything.

He's not going away, and neither am I. You should lighten up, Chuck.
It's not good for ones health to be all annoyed at such trivial things.

--
Dan

Charles Demas

In article >,
Dan Logcher > wrote:
>Charles Demas wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> Dan Logcher > wrote:

ranews.com...

>>>Why does it annoy you? He doesn't get a rise out of me, just a
>>>response. A rise would be if I were ****ed off or something, and
>>>I know he's just a nobody Frycook (all of his multiple personalities).
>>>

>> OK, but just remember, you asked for an explanation.
>>
>> He's generally disruptive in this newsgroup, and would go away if
>> he weren't getting responses. I'd prefer that he went away unfulfilled.
>>
>> As long as you keep responding to him, he'll stick around,
>>
>> WHICH IS'NT WHAT I WANT!
>>
>> DON'T YOU GET IT DAN?
>>
>> YOU'RE GIVING HIM EXACTLY WHAT HE WANTS!
>>
>> As I see it, there are two explanations:
>>
>> 1. You're really that f**king stupid.
>>
>> 2. You're really the fry cook and you're playing a very clever game.
>>
>> Whichever it is, I find it annoying, and FWIW, I don't think it's
>> explanation number 2.

>3. Maybe I do it expressly to annoy you.
>
>4. I don't see it as giving him anything.
>
>He's not going away, and neither am I. You should lighten up, Chuck.
>It's not good for ones health to be all annoyed at such trivial things.

Definitely #1.

BTW, I never asked you to go away.

I responded originally to Michael saying that I thought he was
smarter than to have responded to the fry cook. I long ago gave up
expecting you to do anything intellegent, but occasionally I say to
myself, "He can't really be *THAT* stupid. He'll learn."

Wrong every time. :~(

Chuck Demas

--
Eat Healthy | _ _ | Nothing would be done at all,
Stay Fit | @ @ | If a man waited to do it so well,
Die Anyway | v | That no one could find fault with it.
| \___/ | http://world.std.com/~cpd
John Droge

> wrote in message
> Please see my post in alt.binaries.food.sushi
>
> Happy Holidays.
>
> --
> Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley www.boonchoo.com
> "Giving violent criminals a government guarantee that their intended
> victims are defenseless is bad public policy."
> - John Ross, "Unintended Consequences"

Is that the next ng after alt.binaries.food.monkeytails?
John

Charles Demas

In article >,
> wrote:
>Please see my post in alt.binaries.food.sushi

Not available on the news-server I use.

>Happy Holidays.

Happy Holidays to you too.

Chuck Demas

--
Eat Healthy | _ _ | Nothing would be done at all,
Stay Fit | @ @ | If a man waited to do it so well,
Die Anyway | v | That no one could find fault with it.
| \___/ | http://world.std.com/~cpd
Dan Logcher

Charles Demas wrote:

> In article >,
> Dan Logcher > wrote:
>
>>Charles Demas wrote:

eranews.com...

>>>OK, but just remember, you asked for an explanation.
>>>
>>>He's generally disruptive in this newsgroup, and would go away if
>>>he weren't getting responses. I'd prefer that he went away unfulfilled.
>>>
>>>As long as you keep responding to him, he'll stick around,
>>>
>>> WHICH IS'NT WHAT I WANT!
>>>
>>> DON'T YOU GET IT DAN?
>>>
>>> YOU'RE GIVING HIM EXACTLY WHAT HE WANTS!
>>>
>>>As I see it, there are two explanations:
>>>
>>>1. You're really that f**king stupid.
>>>
>>>2. You're really the fry cook and you're playing a very clever game.
>>>
>>>Whichever it is, I find it annoying, and FWIW, I don't think it's
>>>explanation number 2.
>>>

>>3. Maybe I do it expressly to annoy you.
>>
>>4. I don't see it as giving him anything.
>>
>>He's not going away, and neither am I. You should lighten up, Chuck.
>>It's not good for ones health to be all annoyed at such trivial things.
>>

> Definitely #1.
>
> BTW, I never asked you to go away.
>
> I responded originally to Michael saying that I thought he was
> smarter than to have responded to the fry cook. I long ago gave up
> expecting you to do anything intellegent, but occasionally I say to
> myself, "He can't really be *THAT* stupid. He'll learn."
>
> Wrong every time. :~(

Maybe you're the one with intellegence problem. Just because it bothers
you don't make it stupid if anyone else replies to him. You're not the
authority on here or anywhere.

--
Dan

Charles Demas

In article >,
Dan Logcher > wrote:
>Charles Demas wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> Dan Logcher > wrote:

>>>3. Maybe I do it expressly to annoy you.
>>>
>>>4. I don't see it as giving him anything.
>>>
>>>He's not going away, and neither am I. You should lighten up, Chuck.
>>>It's not good for ones health to be all annoyed at such trivial things.
>>>

>> Definitely #1.
>>
>> BTW, I never asked you to go away.
>>
>> I responded originally to Michael saying that I thought he was
>> smarter than to have responded to the fry cook. I long ago gave up
>> expecting you to do anything intellegent, but occasionally I say to
>> myself, "He can't really be *THAT* stupid. He'll learn."
>>
>> Wrong every time. :~(

>Maybe you're the one with intellegence problem. Just because it bothers
>you don't make it stupid if anyone else replies to him. You're not the
>authority on here or anywhere.

You asked why I was annoyed. I'm annoyed because I see something
wrong and there's nothing I can do to make it better, and I see
you, actively making it worse.

Dan, you have no impulse control. Intellegence is the capacity to
adapt, but you don't.

The fry cook posts, and Dan responds, ... every time.

People (not only me) tell Dan, "Don't play with trolls."

The fry cook posts, and Dan responds.

It's really too bad, because aside from that trait, you seem to be
a mice guy, with a lot of experience eating sushi.

Chuck Demas

--
Eat Healthy | _ _ | Nothing would be done at all,
Stay Fit | @ @ | If a man waited to do it so well,
Die Anyway | v | That no one could find fault with it.
| \___/ | http://world.std.com/~cpd
Dan Logcher

Charles Demas wrote:

> In article >,
> Dan Logcher > wrote:
>
>>Charles Demas wrote:

>>>Definitely #1.
>>>
>>>BTW, I never asked you to go away.
>>>
>>>I responded originally to Michael saying that I thought he was
>>>smarter than to have responded to the fry cook. I long ago gave up
>>>expecting you to do anything intellegent, but occasionally I say to
>>>myself, "He can't really be *THAT* stupid. He'll learn."
>>>
>>>Wrong every time. :~(
>>>

>>Maybe you're the one with intellegence problem. Just because it bothers
>>you don't make it stupid if anyone else replies to him. You're not the
>>authority on here or anywhere.
>>

> You asked why I was annoyed. I'm annoyed because I see something
> wrong and there's nothing I can do to make it better, and I see
> you, actively making it worse.

You think if I stop replying that he'll go away? I doubt it.

> Dan, you have no impulse control. Intellegence is the capacity to
> adapt, but you don't.

I adapt in different ways from you, thats all.

> The fry cook posts, and Dan responds, ... every time.
>
> People (not only me) tell Dan, "Don't play with trolls."
>
> The fry cook posts, and Dan responds.

I don't see the harm, and don't think this leads to the downfall
of humanity.

> It's really too bad, because aside from that trait, you seem to be
> a mice guy, with a lot of experience eating sushi.

Thanks, I enjoy sushi very much. We'll see what I can do to
change in the future. Perhaps we all can make some changes.

--
Dan

Gerry

In article >, Charles Demas
> wrote:

> In article >,
> Dan Logcher > wrote:
> >Charles Demas wrote:

> ranews.com...

> >> OK, but just remember, you asked for an explanation.
> >>
> >> He's generally disruptive in this newsgroup, and would go away if
> >> he weren't getting responses. I'd prefer that he went away unfulfilled.
> >>
> >> As long as you keep responding to him, he'll stick around,
> >>
> >> WHICH IS'NT WHAT I WANT!
> >>
> >> DON'T YOU GET IT DAN?
> >>
> >> YOU'RE GIVING HIM EXACTLY WHAT HE WANTS!
> >>
> >> As I see it, there are two explanations:
> >>
> >> 1. You're really that f**king stupid.
> >>
> >> 2. You're really the fry cook and you're playing a very clever game.
> >>
> >> Whichever it is, I find it annoying, and FWIW, I don't think it's
> >> explanation number 2.

> >3. Maybe I do it expressly to annoy you.
> >
> >4. I don't see it as giving him anything.
> >
> >He's not going away, and neither am I. You should lighten up, Chuck.
> >It's not good for ones health to be all annoyed at such trivial things.

> Definitely #1.
>
> BTW, I never asked you to go away.
>
> I responded originally to Michael saying that I thought he was
> smarter than to have responded to the fry cook. I long ago gave up
> expecting you to do anything intellegent, but occasionally I say to
> myself, "He can't really be *THAT* stupid. He'll learn."
>
> Wrong every time. :~(

Dan and others gave cursive responses, not a shift in topic. If anybody
is giving the troll his feverish desire of attention and swamping the
boat it is you.

Please stop.

--
First they gerrymander us into one-party fiefs. Then they tell us they only
care about the swing districts. Then they complain about voter apathy.
-- Gail Collins
Scoop

Dan, cool to hear about your experience with the shikaro. What is the
texture like? Haven't come across it yet.

And regarding trolling posts to the board - that's what killfilters
are for, yes?

I've been lurking and intermittently posting here since, like, '97. I
remember "Frycook". Don't let the bad apples spoil the sushi.

Scoop

Dan Logcher

Scoop wrote:

> Dan, cool to hear about your experience with the shikaro. What is the
> texture like? Haven't come across it yet.

The texture is disturbingly creamy (from a guy's point of view).

I believe it is a Winter season item, only had it twice and I
think the last time was a year ago. Art? Do you recall when
that was?

--
Dan

Joe

I've had shirako also, and was aware of it's origin when I ate it. It
is disturbingly creamy, but given what it is, I'd say that's a given.
Not a delicacy for the faint of heart or squeamish amongst you.
Prepared properly with ponzu, it is very good.

Joe
X Sushi Zone regular
Arlington Texas

The World-Wide Sushi Restaurant Reference
Glossary entry

Shirako. Sperms sacs of the cod fish.

Source: WordNet (r) 1.7

milt
n 1: fish sperm or sperm-filled reproductive gland; having a
creamy texture [syn: soft roe]
2: seminal fluid produced by male fish

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)

Milt \Milt\, n. [AS. milte; akin to D. milt, G. milz, OHG.
milzi, Icel. milti, Dan. milt, Sw. mj["a]lte, and prob. to E.
malt, melt. [root]108. See Malt the grain.] (Anat.)
The spleen.
Milt \Milt\, n. [Akin to Dan. melk, Sw. mj["o]lke, G. milch, and
E. milk. See Milk.] (Zo["o]l.)
(a) The spermatic fluid of fishes.
(b) The testes, or spermaries, of fishes when filled with
spermatozoa.
Milt \Milt\, v. t.
To impregnate (the roe of a fish) with milt.

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 06:08:43 GMT, Dan Logcher
> wrote:

>Scoop wrote:
>
>> Dan, cool to hear about your experience with the shikaro. What is the
>> texture like? Haven't come across it yet.

>The texture is disturbingly creamy (from a guy's point of view).
>
>I believe it is a Winter season item, only had it twice and I
>think the last time was a year ago. Art? Do you recall when
>that was?

danseur

Dan Logcher > wrote in message >...
<SNIP>

> I don't see the harm, and don't think this leads to the downfall
> of humanity.
>

> > It's really too bad, because aside from that trait, you seem to be
> > a mice guy, with a lot of experience eating sushi.

> Thanks, I enjoy sushi very much. We'll see what I can do to
> change in the future. Perhaps we all can make some changes.

maybe if you don't humor the guy, he goes off and tortures the cat
instead.

there's something about the different nuances of taste & texture that
are worth sharing about. it's no different than enjoying wine.

if some folks post things you'd rather not read, that's what killfiles
are for.

happy holidays.

barry chin
pasadena, ca
Dan Logcher

Joe wrote:

> I've had shirako also, and was aware of it's origin when I ate it. It
> is disturbingly creamy, but given what it is, I'd say that's a given.
> Not a delicacy for the faint of heart or squeamish amongst you.
> Prepared properly with ponzu, it is very good.
>
> Joe
> X Sushi Zone regular
> Arlington Texas
>
> The World-Wide Sushi Restaurant Reference
> Glossary entry
>
> Shirako. Sperms sacs of the cod fish.

Awww, you told them too much.

It's very mild tasting, takes on the ponzu flavor.

--
Dan

danseur

Dan Logcher > wrote in message >...
> Gerry wrote:

<SNIP>
> > I know have three things I'd prefer to avoid; natto, shirako and grated
> > yama-imo. Texture is the main component in all of them, but I didn't
> > care for the taste of the shirako eithr.

> It's very mild tasting, taking on the ponzu sauce and pickled diakon.
> The only things I avoid are natto and ika shiokara. Both have a foul
> taste, in my opinion. But maybe it's like Limburger cheese.

i didn't care for natto until my chef confided to me that he didn't
like it either, but he did with mixed with raw egg & spicy mustard on
rice. it's not bad that way.

besides the raw egg/mustard natto concoction, this chef is the first
chef i've patronized that uses yuzu/yuzu kosho a lot. i don't think
i've had tai i enjoyed more than with yuzu and a little salt. it's
also a lot more subtle than lemon on mirugai. too bad his rice tends
to be on the hard side or i'd rate him a LOT higher...

bc
David E. Cote

Dan and FC-- just like old times! Happy Holidays and a sushi-filled New
Year to all.

Gerry

In article >, Dan Logcher
> wrote:

> > Dan, cool to hear about your experience with the shikaro. What is the
> > texture like? Haven't come across it yet.

> The texture is disturbingly creamy (from a guy's point of view).

The texture is alright. What I find off-putting is how much sake I have
to drink to get it's "residue" out of my mouth. For those who don't
like the cream-cheese mouth-coating problem I find this stuff a little
more tenacious. But then I suppose the shikaro has a "job" to do.

--
First they gerrymander us into one-party fiefs. Then they tell us they only
care about the swing districts. Then they complain about voter apathy.
-- Gail Collins
Dan Logcher

David E. Cote wrote:

> Dan and FC-- just like old times! Happy Holidays and a sushi-filled New
> Year to all.

Thanks, Dave. Same to you and Peg. Maybe we'll
see you in January for another sushi show down.

--
Dan

Dan Logcher

Gerry wrote:

> In article >, Dan Logcher
> > wrote:
>

>>>Dan, cool to hear about your experience with the shikaro. What is the
>>>texture like? Haven't come across it yet.
>>>

>>The texture is disturbingly creamy (from a guy's point of view).
>>

> The texture is alright. What I find off-putting is how much sake I have
> to drink to get it's "residue" out of my mouth. For those who don't
> like the cream-cheese mouth-coating problem I find this stuff a little
> more tenacious. But then I suppose the shikaro has a "job" to do.

Oh man, when you put it like that.. "job". That's funny.

--
Dan

sbg

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 21:06:35 GMT, Scawny Dog Johnson wrote:

>On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 20:02:44 GMT, Dan Logcher
> wrote:
>
>>Well, I was returning from some Christmas shopping at
>>a distance mall, driving down the high not far from my
>>favorite sushi bar and decided to have lunch.

>Dan, This newsgroup is not titled, alt.whatdan.hadforlunch.
>What makes you think we are even slightly interested in what you had
>for lunch (had you robbed a bank on your lunch break and gotten shot,
>THAT would have been interesting to know about) What sort of newsgroup
>would this be if EVERYONE posted what they had for lunch even one day
>a week...Can you see what I'm getting to, here, Dan? There was
>nothing, nada, zilch,zero in your post that every human being on the
>face of the earth couldn't have gotten along just fine with out
>knowing. It was boring, Dan! BORING! BOOOOOOORING!
>Don't do that again, Dan, Dozo!. Because I don't want to think of you
>as a gross igoramous[1], Dan, but you are pushing the envelope.
>
>[1] Gross ignoramus - 144 times worse than an ordinary ignoramus.

shut the **** up, you useless newbie troll.

Art Hannah

>I believe it is a Winter season item, only had it twice and I
>think the last time was a year ago. Art? Do you recall when
>that was?

I remember it was at Toraya in Arlington. I don't think it was a year ago,
unless time does really fly that fast.

It was the first and only time I've had it. I'd definitely order it again.

It would have been even better if Dan hadn't kept making "nuts" comments
everytime I ate a piece.

--Art

"Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with
diarrhea -- massive, difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring,
entertaining,and a source of mind-boggling amounts of
excrement when you least expect it."

- Gene Spafford, 1992

Dan Logcher

Art Hannah wrote:

>>I believe it is a Winter season item, only had it twice and I
>>think the last time was a year ago. Art? Do you recall when
>>that was?
>>

> I remember it was at Toraya in Arlington. I don't think it was a year ago,
> unless time does really fly that fast.

So maybe this past summer?

> It would have been even better if Dan hadn't kept making "nuts" comments
> everytime I ate a piece.

Just keeping things in perspective.

--
Dan

SeafoodAdv

>Subject: Nuts
>From: Dan Logcher
>Date: 1/4/04 10:48 PM Hawaiian Standard Time

>Art Hannah wrote:
>
>>>I believe it is a Winter season item, only had it twice and I
>>>think the last time was a year ago. Art? Do you recall when
>>>that was?
>>>

>> I remember it was at Toraya in Arlington. I don't think it was a year ago,
>> unless time does really fly that fast.

>So maybe this past summer?
>

>> It would have been even better if Dan hadn't kept making "nuts" comments
>> everytime I ate a piece.

>Just keeping things in perspective.
>
>--
>Dan

Google newsgroup for "pregnant cod" & shirako

Walter Rhee, "The Seafood Advisor"

Dan Logcher

SeafoodAdv wrote:

>>>I remember it was at Toraya in Arlington. I don't think it was a year ago,
>>>unless time does really fly that fast.
>>>

>>So maybe this past summer?

> Google newsgroup for "pregnant cod" & shirako

Oh yeah, that google thing It was Feb. 23rd, 2003.
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=pr...aol.com&rnum=1

The chef at Sushi Island said it's not a season item per say. Just seems
we get it almost around the same time. Coincidence I guess.

--
Dan

You already think I'm nuts Bryan[_6_] General Cooking 49 12-01-2012 03:54 PM
may contain nuts Gill Smith General Cooking 0 03-08-2011 03:23 PM
Nuts El Niño-Naveb General Cooking 0 31-12-2008 02:09 PM
Nuts to YOU! Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 39 10-12-2008 10:48 PM