Posted to alt.food.sushi

Default Nobu London: Bluefin offerings

noauth wrote on Fri, 19 Jun 2009 06:27:17 +0200 (CEST):

> Scroll down to:
> Posted on Friday, May 29, 2009
> Renowned Restaurant Nobu Warns Diners Not to Eat Its
> Endangered Tuna

> MMmmm sushi…

> Celebrity hotspot and renowned Japanese restaurant Nobu has
> written a note to diners warning them not to eat the bluefin
> tuna on the menu because it is endangered.

In my opinion, serving endangered fish at any price is hypocritical. If
the restaurant had any honesty they would have a note on their menu
saying they did not serve bluefin because of its endangered nature and
leave it at that. Mind you, I'm not likely to be eating at Nobu any time
soon :-)

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2009-06-20 10:17:49 -0700, "James Silverton"
> said:

> noauth wrote on Fri, 19 Jun 2009 06:27:17 +0200 (CEST):
>
>> Scroll down to:
>> Posted on Friday, May 29, 2009
>> Renowned Restaurant Nobu Warns Diners Not to Eat Its
>> Endangered Tuna

>> MMmmm sushi…

>> Celebrity hotspot and renowned Japanese restaurant Nobu has
>> written a note to diners warning them not to eat the bluefin
>> tuna on the menu because it is endangered.

> In my opinion, serving endangered fish at any price is hypocritical. If
> the restaurant had any honesty they would have a note on their menu
> saying they did not serve bluefin because of its endangered nature and
> leave it at that. Mind you, I'm not likely to be eating at Nobu any
> time soon :-)

Precisely. I use to frequent restaurant that had a fabulous Chilean
seabass in a light tomato broth. A new menu popped up that looked just
the same, with the seabass listed, but instead of a description of the
preparation, there was their rationale for why they were not providing
it after 10 years of popularity. I thought that was pretty cool and
frankly--for me--educational.

It was even better than simply stripping it off the menu without explanation.
--
Dogmatism kills jazz. Iconoclasm kills rock. Rock dulls scissors.