Posted to alt.food.sushi

Default If your ever in So. Cal - Sushi Dan, Studio City, California

Check out Sushi Dan in Studio City. They have really great tasting and
fresh sushi. My favorite is the California rolls. Apparently it is a
famous place to eat, they have pictures of celebrities that have eaten
there as well.

--
MagicTrix
Message Origin: TRAVEL.com

Posted to alt.food.sushi

MagicTrix;1539865 Wrote:
> Check out Sushi Dan in Studio City. They have really great tasting and
> fresh sushi. My favorite is the California rolls. Apparently it is a
> famous place to eat, they have pictures of celebrities that have eaten
> there as well.

Thanks for the recommendation. -- Rik

--
Rik Brown
Message Origin: TRAVEL.com

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Rik Brown > wrote:
> MagicTrix;1539865 Wrote:
> > Check out Sushi Dan in Studio City. They have really great tasting and
> > fresh sushi. My favorite is the California rolls. Apparently it is a
> > famous place to eat, they have pictures of celebrities that have eaten
> > there as well.

> Thanks for the recommendation. -- Rik

For sure. California roll is the Gold Standard for judging great tasting
and fresh sushi!

I have a bunch of 8x10 pictures of celebrities. B&Ws cost me about a buck
each plus cheap frames.

I'll stick with Asanebo, thanks.

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2008-09-27 16:56:19 -0700, Nick Cramer > said:

> For sure. California roll is the Gold Standard for judging great tasting
> and fresh sushi!

That's a joke, right?
--
Dogmatism kills jazz. Iconoclasm kills rock. Rock dulls scissors.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 22:32:36 -0700, Gerry >
wrote:

>On 2008-09-27 16:56:19 -0700, Nick Cramer > said:
>
>> For sure. California roll is the Gold Standard for judging great tasting
>> and fresh sushi!

>That's a joke, right?

seeing as the guy claims to have kill-filed me, i'll comment that it's
hard to know for sure.

--------
"any words spelled incorrectly are probably typing errors"

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'barry[_1_

seeing as the guy claims to have kill-filed me, i'll comment that it's
hard to know for sure.
seeing as how the poster's username is MagicTrix.... he seemes to have made the importance of his post well, you know...

But to be fair, i would go to the sushi dan in hollywood many a night with my gf at the time...... Spicy Tuna cracker thing (i think its called the firecracker but don't quote me on that) is a nice blend of sweet and spicy... their albacore and spicy tuna salads are a good starter especially if you like tomato... Tamago is usually kinda dry and just essentially not so fresh... she is native japanese and REALLY loved the blue crab california cut roll if that means something to somebody here..., If you like baked scallop dishes, they have a couple that are ok, i would avoid the crazy danny roll as it just seriously weighs you down with the cheese and mayo stuff... most un-sushi thing I've ever had at a sushi joint... umm the standard fish (yellowtail, albacore, tuna, salmon, etc) pieces are consistently pretty good and fresh, the uni is decent, the oyster shooters are kinda hit and miss, i didn't try the sweet shrimp (to be honest i don't know if they serve it)... Overall, the place is good for a nice and quick hop from a local bar (they close at 2am) with some friends, the service is on and off depending on who the new waiter or waitress is that week... They seem to always play loud and annoying "club" jams, be it hip-hop or just diva-driven techno, but the portions are better sized than most "american" sushi places. By no means whatsoever is this a place for a true sushi lover...

if you really "love" sushi i would recommend in this order

Eke on gower and hollywood (pricey but amazing)
katsuya on ventura (amazing but REALLY pricey)
Tokyo Table either on la cienaga or robertson (i'm pretty sure thats the name)
101 on moorpark and tujunga (fantastic joint, highly recommend the shishito peppers, tell toshi i sent ya)
Taka on van nuys in sherman oaks (really tasty stuff, VERY large portions, hand rolls almost the size of waffle cones)
And finally Jays (we call it that, i think its called Asi-Sushi, but its on radford near ventura, really good if you are on a budget)

a good rule of thumb is, if the owner of the house is not present, your experience can be "iffy."

I have yet to try Asanebo, but i've heard very good things, ironically, it was mentioned the first time to me by a former sushi-dan chef!

kanpai!