FoodBanter.com

-   Sourdough (https://www.foodbanter.com/sourdough/)
-   -   What a CROCK (https://www.foodbanter.com/sourdough/79234-what-crock.html)

[email protected] 17-01-2006 11:30 PM

What a CROCK

lol sorry about the title.....

Anyway, Does anyone know of a place where I can find a CROCK. Not a
crock pot, but a crock like; for making sauerkraut, or pickles.... Big
old 4 tone heavier than it looks CROCK. Preferably between 1 and 5
gallons. These things are extreamly hard to come by. I live down the
street from Williamsburg potery in Williamsburg, VA and they don't know
where to find one. HUGE place with BIDILLIONS (my own word) of
differnent types of pottery, and I get "NOTHING!"

Thanks for any you can send,

CHRIS

[email protected] 17-01-2006 11:52 PM

What a CROCK

A quick google turned up these guys:

http://www.wisementrading.com/foodpr...sch_crocks.htm

But they aren't cheap.

Brian Mailman 18-01-2006 03:13 AM

What a CROCK

wrote:

> lol sorry about the title.....
>
> Anyway, Does anyone know of a place where I can find a CROCK. Not a
> crock pot, but a crock like; for making sauerkraut, or pickles....

You might want to ask in rec.food.preserving, where it's ontopic.

B/

Bull J. Moose 18-01-2006 06:24 AM

What a CROCK

aaahhh them old crocks what used to be used to churn butter with and
for other things also...wow, I guess there aint a lot of call for them
lately (friends in the 60s) used these to brew some witches brew
(yeast n all)

lots of luck

Bull (and full of it) the MOOOSE

Skyhooks 18-01-2006 08:20 AM

What a CROCK

wrote:

> lol sorry about the title.....
>
> Anyway, Does anyone know of a place where I can find a CROCK. Not a
> crock pot, but a crock like; for making sauerkraut, or pickles.... Big
> old 4 tone heavier than it looks CROCK. Preferably between 1 and 5
> gallons. These things are extreamly hard to come by. I live down the
> street from Williamsburg potery in Williamsburg, VA and they don't know
> where to find one. HUGE place with BIDILLIONS (my own word) of
> differnent types of pottery, and I get "NOTHING!"
>
> Thanks for any you can send,
>
> CHRIS

Perhaps you may want to check local antique/flea markets/fairs,
especially the larger ones! I've often seen the types of crocks I'm
sure you mean. And, don't forget to BARGAIN! Never settle for asking
price unless you really want that crock! That's what I so like about
flea markets -- I can bargain for the item I want - or don't want :)

Another option is to read your local newspapers and/or place an
advertisement. Good luck.

Skyhooks
h m a r d i s
"aahhtt""
u i u c
""ddoott""
e d u

[email protected] 18-01-2006 09:57 AM

What a CROCK

Ouch, that is a little over what I can get right now....=) thanks

[email protected] 18-01-2006 09:58 AM

What a CROCK

Yeah little hard to find anymore. most of the places that made them
......stoped making them.

[email protected] 18-01-2006 10:00 AM

What a CROCK

I'm new to the area so i'm going have to do some asking around for
those aswell. (antique places)

Thanks a million to everyone who does a reply

Joe Umstead 18-01-2006 01:16 PM

What a CROCK

wrote:

> Ouch, that is a little over what I can get right now....=) thanks

This is American, your money no good any more. I look at the web page and
thought they were not overprice.

HHG Driver, Joe Umstead.

Will 18-01-2006 03:18 PM

What a CROCK

Joe Umstead wrote:
> wrote:
>
> > Ouch, that is a little over what I can get right now....=) thanks

> This is American, your money no good any more. I look at the web page and
> thought they were not overprice.
>
> HHG Driver, Joe Umstead.

OK.... what is an HHG?

And I agree, the crocks were not overpriced.

Will

[email protected] 18-01-2006 04:52 PM

What a CROCK

This is American, your money no good any more.
WHAT?????

john 18-01-2006 08:21 PM

What a CROCK

I bought a big glass crock at Target last Sept. Nice and heavy about
2-3 gallons. Not pottery, but works even better b/c you can see
everything.

Bull J. Moose 19-01-2006 05:01 AM

What a CROCK

On 18 Jan 2006 01:57:15 -0800, wrote:
http://www.allsignsco.com/stoneware.html

FOUND THIS SEARCHING THE NET... YOURE RIGHT... limited to hardly at
all or like matress mack says I really will take youre money...

Bull

[email protected] 19-01-2006 06:29 PM

What a CROCK

I check Wal-mart and found nothing, but never went to Target.
I'll give them a whirl.

Thanks

Skyhooks 20-01-2006 05:09 AM

What a CROCK

wrote:

> lol sorry about the title.....
>
> Anyway, Does anyone know of a place where I can find a CROCK. Not a
> crock pot, but a crock like; for making sauerkraut, or pickles.... Big
> old 4 tone heavier than it looks CROCK. Preferably between 1 and 5
> gallons. These things are extreamly hard to come by. I live down the
> street from Williamsburg potery in Williamsburg, VA and they don't know
> where to find one. HUGE place with BIDILLIONS (my own word) of
> differnent types of pottery, and I get "NOTHING!"
>
> Thanks for any you can send,
>
> CHRIS

Check with local pottery makers/artists in your area, especially if they
can provide a good kiln (which they should have anywhoo!). They may
have or know of some resources that are not commonly known (?). Only a
suggestion.

Skyhooks
h m a r d i s
""aahhtt""
u i u c
""ddoott""
e d u

P.S. As already mentioned, it won't be cheap!