FoodBanter.com

-   Sourdough (https://www.foodbanter.com/sourdough/)
-   -   Humperdickel, 2nd try -- a mystery for the pros (https://www.foodbanter.com/sourdough/55038-re-humperdickel-2nd-try.html)

Will 25-02-2005 03:51 PM

On 2/25/05 8:41 AM, "Ed Bechtel" > wrote:

> Dick,
> That 2nd loaf looks awesome. I almost want to try baking bread in the
> crockpot but don't have a bread insert. Didn't know there was such a thing.

Ed,

You don't need a bread insert. You can use a loaf pan sealed with aluminum
foil. The pans sit in water and simmer away. I found a standard pan was too
large for these breads for to cook thoroughly and evenly. So Dick has really
got this technique down (i.e.: the 20+ hours cook time) for larger loaves.

After several modestly successful trials in a regular crock pot (Rival
low/high 6 quart oval model, and like Dick's, an old model), I bought an
18qt. GE countertop roaster at Wal-Mart for $29. It allows me to regulate
the temperature from about 90F to 450F. More importantly, it fits four 1/2
size loaf pans or three 3/4 size pans. So your dough volume is there, just
redistributed. Add three or four inches of water, set the temp, and you're
good to go.

I've been thinking about Dick's color issue and speculate this....

The higher temp. sponge fermentation depleted more sugar (he says trial 2
was a fully blown sour). This left less unconverted starch and residual
sugar to convert during the bake with heat. I think the long, slow water
bake allows heat to catalyze the starch/suger reduction rather than the bugs
fermenting it (turns it dark brown). Also at higher temps, the amylase
enzymatic co-process is probably disabled too soon. So I think a soak for
the cracked grain combined with a modest ferment for the sponge might be the
ticket.

Will