FoodBanter.com

-   Sourdough (https://www.foodbanter.com/sourdough/)
-   -   Dough not rising...why? (https://www.foodbanter.com/sourdough/50124-dough-not-rising-why.html)

blondmom 01-01-2005 08:11 PM

Dough not rising...why?

Im making cinnamin rolls. These need to set and rise.
Im have been having problems in last several batches getting them to rise.

Im using fresh yeast and I put them in warm 95F degree oven (lowest it will
go and recipe says set in 85)F.

Do you have any clues for me to try to see if I can get a new batch to
raise?

Thank you for any tips!

Ernie 01-01-2005 09:12 PM

"blondmom" > wrote in message
> Im making cinnamin rolls. These need to set and rise.
> Im have been having problems in last several batches getting them to rise.
>
> Im using fresh yeast and I put them in warm 95F degree oven (lowest it

will
> go and recipe says set in 85)F.
>
> Do you have any clues for me to try to see if I can get a new batch to
> raise?
>
> Thank you for any tips!

You are running very close to the temperature that kills yeast.
Ernie

Ernie 01-01-2005 09:12 PM

Karen 01-01-2005 10:08 PM

blondmom wrote the following on 1/1/2005 3:11 PM:

> Im using fresh yeast and I put them in warm 95F degree oven (lowest
> it will go and recipe says set in 85)F.

I set my oven to warm for 5 minutes, turn it off and then put the dough
in to rise. Otherwise the oven gets too hot. The oven will stay warm for
several hours as long as I don't open the door again.

An alternative is to put a container of boiling water in a cooler or
microwave, and put the dough in with that to rise. Do not turn the
microwave on while the dough is in there.

--
Karen R.
Instructions for de-spam-trapping my address are contained in the address

Pan Ohco 01-01-2005 10:20 PM

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 22:08:04 GMT, Karen
> wrote:

>blondmom wrote the following on 1/1/2005 3:11 PM:
>
>> Im using fresh yeast and I put them in warm 95F degree oven (lowest
>> it will go and recipe says set in 85)F.

>I set my oven to warm for 5 minutes, turn it off and then put the dough
>in to rise. Otherwise the oven gets too hot. The oven will stay warm for
>several hours as long as I don't open the door again.
>
>An alternative is to put a container of boiling water in a cooler or
>microwave, and put the dough in with that to rise. Do not turn the
>microwave on while the dough is in there.

I found that if I put the light on in the oven, that will warm up the
oven enough,to rise the dough

Pan Ohco

The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.
Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a
Book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
--Assyrian stone tablet, c. 2800 B.C.

blondmom 01-01-2005 11:38 PM

yea...I think thats ourproblem. When I set the oven to warm, the elements
are on or off and it get to 170 for a few minutes before it settles down to
95 so it mush have killed the yeast. Just using light bulb is good idea.
We tried it again by not turning on oven and it worked fine this time.
thanks again

hlink.net...

blondmom 01-01-2005 11:38 PM

yea...I think thats ourproblem. When I set the oven to warm, the elements
are on or off and it get to 170 for a few minutes before it settles down to
95 so it mush have killed the yeast. Just using light bulb is good idea.
We tried it again by not turning on oven and it worked fine this time.
thanks again

hlink.net...

ellen wickberg 02-01-2005 01:05 AM

in article StDBd.7674$yW5.5926@fed1read02, blondmom at
wrote on 1/1/05 12:11 PM:

> Im making cinnamin rolls. These need to set and rise.
> Im have been having problems in last several batches getting them to rise.
>
> Im using fresh yeast and I put them in warm 95F degree oven (lowest it will
> go and recipe says set in 85)F.
>
> Do you have any clues for me to try to see if I can get a new batch to
> raise?
>
> Thank you for any tips!

this is a sourdough group, why not try rec.food.baking?
Ellen

blondmom 02-01-2005 02:05 AM

why dont you try some sweet rolls.....to brighten up your sour pus