FoodBanter.com

-   Sourdough (https://www.foodbanter.com/sourdough/)
-   -   to cover or not to cover (https://www.foodbanter.com/sourdough/13109-cover-not-cover.html)

Folsom Cook 29-01-2004 05:23 PM

to cover or not to cover

Does a starter need to breath in the fridge? Can you cover with an airtight
lid (Tupperware)?

--
folsomcook
Please remove "DONOTSPAMME" from address when sending email :-)

Ernie 29-01-2004 07:20 PM

to cover or not to cover

"Folsom Cook" > wrote in message
> Does a starter need to breath in the fridge? Can you cover

with an airtight
> lid (Tupperware)?
> folsomcook

Yes and no. :)
When the starter is in the fridge it is not very active and
therefore uses less oxygen. Eventually it would use up all
available oxygen, but this probably won't happen for a month, at
which time you should feed it again anyway.
Ernie

Kenneth 30-01-2004 02:03 AM

to cover or not to cover

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 17:23:03 GMT, "Folsom Cook"
> wrote:

>Does a starter need to breath in the fridge? Can you cover with an airtight
>lid (Tupperware)?

Howdy,

I keep mine in screw topped (sealed) plastic jars.

With Tupperware, you may find that the lids "blow" off. That would be
of concern only because other things in the fridge might find their
way into the starter...

HTH,

--
Kenneth

Robert Couture 30-01-2004 12:16 PM

to cover or not to cover

"Folsom Cook" > wrote in message news:<XjbSb.138385$sv6.748072@attbi_s52>...
> Does a starter need to breath in the fridge? Can you cover with an airtight
> lid (Tupperware)?

I have been keepīng my regular starter in the fridge in mason jars for
6 years now, quite an airtight lid. I usually bake every week but I
can remember being away for up to two months without baking, coming
back and reviving the starter with no problem.