Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default yeast/bacteria balance

That's what I'd read in Peter Reinhart's Bread Baker's Apprentice and ...
somewhere else as well. In any case, it seems to be a sourdough urban
legend, given what everyone has written.

In any case, I like the two I started up (one whole wheat, the other rye)
just fine. :-)

Best,

Jeff
--

TG Wrote:

If this were true, don't you think that Ed Wood would be out of business by
now selling is different starters. If this were true how do you suppose he
manages to keep them all different? From Tasmania, Italy, France and San
Francisco.

What you do with your starter will be more important than it's innate
potential or flavour. I have all but one of Ed's starters ( sent by a
friend, I'm not mad. lol) They really are different to each other given
exactly the same treatment. They all can be both mild and sour depending on
what I do.

Jim

yeast/bacteria balance WRK Sourdough 11 18-09-2006 10:14 PM
yeast/bacteria balance padriac Sourdough 3 17-09-2006 07:11 PM
yeast/bacteria balance Jeff Miller Sourdough 0 14-09-2006 02:34 PM
yeast/bacteria balance Jeff Miller Sourdough 2 13-09-2006 06:05 PM
yeast/bacteria balance Mike Avery Sourdough 1 13-09-2006 09:35 AM