Posted to nyc.food,rec.food.restaurants,nyc.general,soc.culture.arabic,rec.food.cooking

Default What the Hell Is Up with Arab Restaurants????

Good grief, I ask for "grilled chicken salad" -- just as it says on
their menu -- and them two guys ask me, every time, whether I'd like a
sandwich! Does "salad" mean "in a bread" in Morroco???

And how about this other guy here, Zagat-rated and all: he has no menu,
he cooks whatever he feels like! You just walk in and see what's
cooking that day!

And yet another guy -- he's the boss, but he takes an afternoon nap so
the sous-chef takes over (actually, the short-order cook/all-around
kitchen helper) and makes the same dish differently!

And is it me, or does this stuff taste pretty much like most
Mediterranean fare? Okay, not quite Spanish or French or Italian or
Greek or Turkish...but quite close, quite close!

I love it, though. And the women are hot!

Posted to nyc.food,rec.food.restaurants,nyc.general,soc.culture.arabic,rec.food.cooking

On 2006-08-11 18:30:11 -0400, "NYC XYZ" > said:

> Good grief, I ask for "grilled chicken salad" -- just as it says on
> their menu -- and them two guys ask me, every time, whether I'd like a
> sandwich! Does "salad" mean "in a bread" in Morroco???
>
> And how about this other guy here, Zagat-rated and all: he has no menu,
> he cooks whatever he feels like! You just walk in and see what's
> cooking that day!
>
> And yet another guy -- he's the boss, but he takes an afternoon nap so
> the sous-chef takes over (actually, the short-order cook/all-around
> kitchen helper) and makes the same dish differently!
>
> And is it me, or does this stuff taste pretty much like most
> Mediterranean fare? Okay, not quite Spanish or French or Italian or
> Greek or Turkish...but quite close, quite close!
>
> I love it, though. And the women are hot!

What places are you talking about?

--
- Slim

Posted to nyc.food,rec.food.restaurants,nyc.general,soc.culture.arabic,rec.food.cooking

On 11 Aug 2006 15:30:11 -0700, "NYC XYZ" >
wrote:

>Good grief, I ask for "grilled chicken salad" -- just as it says on
>their menu -- and them two guys ask me, every time, whether I'd like a
>sandwich! Does "salad" mean "in a bread" in Morroco???

Ever had a tuna salad sandwich? Most likely, this is a chicken salad -
similar to tuna salad.

jim

Posted to nyc.food,rec.food.restaurants,nyc.general,soc.culture.arabic,rec.food.cooking

NYC XYZ wrote:
> Good grief, [rest of troll snipped]

Don't you just love another troll post.

Posted to nyc.food,rec.food.restaurants,nyc.general,soc.culture.arabic,rec.food.cooking

"NYC XYZ" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Good grief, I ask for "grilled chicken salad" -- just as it says on
> their menu -- and them two guys ask me, every time, whether I'd like a
> sandwich! Does "salad" mean "in a bread" in Morroco???
>
> And how about this other guy here, Zagat-rated and all: he has no menu,
> he cooks whatever he feels like! You just walk in and see what's
> cooking that day!
>
> And yet another guy -- he's the boss, but he takes an afternoon nap so
> the sous-chef takes over (actually, the short-order cook/all-around
> kitchen helper) and makes the same dish differently!
>
> And is it me, or does this stuff taste pretty much like most
> Mediterranean fare? Okay, not quite Spanish or French or Italian or
> Greek or Turkish...but quite close, quite close!

I love Lebanese/Arabic food. Lots of chicken, lamb, hommus, tabouli,
yoghurt, falafel, tahini and salads. They eat so healthily.

By sandwich does he mean rolled in a flat bread? Try it, if so.

Posted to nyc.food,rec.food.restaurants,nyc.general,soc.culture.arabic,rec.food.cooking

Grinner wrote:

> I love Lebanese/Arabic food. Lots of chicken, lamb, hommus, tabouli,
> yoghurt, falafel, tahini and salads. They eat so healthily.

Hmm, I dunno, the sauces seem mighty rich to me! I like the cuisine,
too, but I don't care for couscous at all, though I tolerate it fine
enough.

> By sandwich does he mean rolled in a flat bread? Try it, if so.

Wouldn't that be a Greek gyro, then? =)

No, the guy actually showed me one of them Italian hero sandwich
breads! This has happened on three occasions over about a year, and
I'm just like, jeez, is he joking?

BTW, it was funny around here the past week. Yesterday some guy had a
sign outside one of them cafes about Israeli massacres in Lebanon --
but with pictures of Muslim women in drapes with guns! The previous
two days there was a US Army soldier in front of another cafe down the
block chatting with the Arab waitress!

Posted to nyc.food,rec.food.restaurants,nyc.general,soc.culture.arabic,rec.food.cooking

ensenadajim wrote:

> Ever had a tuna salad sandwich? Most likely, this is a chicken salad -
> similar to tuna salad.
>

> jim

No, though I can easily imagine one!

I'm just a little surprised and annoyed 'cause the menu makes no
mention of "sandwich"...it's described like any other salad. When it
comes (when they "have it" -- never heard of running out of salads!),
it comes with bread, rice (?!), and some kind of tomato and lettuce
thing, not really a salad (they're way too finely chopped up, almost
like a salsa sauce thinggy) but still tasty.

It was funny the "mideast bazaar" mentality here, almost like I'm
haggling over a salad! =)

Posted to nyc.food,rec.food.restaurants,nyc.general,soc.culture.arabic,rec.food.cooking

NYC XYZ wrote:
> Good grief, I ask for "grilled chicken salad" -- just as it says on
> their menu -- and them two guys ask me, every time, whether I'd like a
> sandwich! Does "salad" mean "in a bread" in Morroco???

Morocco is in Africa. It is not an "Arab" country.

> And how about this other guy here, Zagat-rated and all: he has no menu,
> he cooks whatever he feels like! You just walk in and see what's
> cooking that day!

Interesting business plan. But who gives a **** how he decides to run
his business.

> And yet another guy -- he's the boss, but he takes an afternoon nap so
> the sous-chef takes over (actually, the short-order cook/all-around
> kitchen helper) and makes the same dish differently!
>
> And is it me, or does this stuff taste pretty much like most
> Mediterranean fare?

Well, Morocco is on the Mediterranean Sea.

Okay, not quite Spanish or French or Italian or
> Greek or Turkish...but quite close, quite close!
>
> I love it, though. And the women are hot!

That is about the only correct thing you posted!

P.S. Look at a map sometime.
Posted to nyc.food,rec.food.restaurants,nyc.general,soc.culture.arabic,rec.food.cooking

Goddamn youre such a ****ing redneck goomba mook bitch.

-----yttrx

--
http://www.yttrx.net

Posted to nyc.food,rec.food.restaurants,nyc.general,soc.culture.arabic,rec.food.cooking

In nyc.general NYC XYZ > wrote:

> The ones in Astoria. A lot of them, especially the more authentic
> home-cooking ones (so to speak), have menus but don't seem to really
> abide by them!

Ah, my apologies---if you live in Astoria and you arent an overeducated
hipster (which you clearly arent), then you've got to be a fat, greasy
greek bitch.

I had no idea you were greek, my apologies. I didnt mean to get
on your case about the implied developmental retardation that is often
associated with the greek race, through thousands of years of inbreeding
and little boy ****ing. Sorry!

-----yttrx

Posted to nyc.food,rec.food.restaurants,nyc.general,soc.culture.arabic,rec.food.cooking

TheGist wrote:

> P.S. Look at a map sometime.

He probably won't understand. Here's a map of the Arab League Member
Countries (traditionally called the Middle East).
http://www.middleeastnews.com/mapofthearabworld.html

Please note: A country's membership in the League does not mean that
all citizens identify themselves as Arab.

Posted to nyc.food,rec.food.restaurants,nyc.general,soc.culture.arabic,rec.food.cooking

TheGist wrote:

> Morocco is in Africa. It is not an "Arab" country.

Yeah, I know, there are some who'd like to think of themselves as
European.

> Interesting business plan. But who gives a **** how he decides to run
> his business.

Most diners do.

> Well, Morocco is on the Mediterranean Sea.

Ayup.

> That is about the only correct thing you posted!
>
> P.S. Look at a map sometime.

Maps are pretty arbitrary, don't you think?

Posted to nyc.food,rec.food.restaurants,nyc.general,soc.culture.arabic,rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Good grief,

[...]

> I love it, though. And the women are hot!

I really didn't want to respond to this thread because it's
populated with bigots, nimrods and bigoted nimrods, so why bother?
(The OP, btw, didn't seem to fit into either of those categories
particularly, judging especially from his trenchant and well-observed
sign-off).

But for others who don't fall into those categories and who
are genuinely interested in the NYC food scene: One of the great
thrills of dining in NYC is that many places cater almost exclusively
to fellow nationals, because many, many nationalities have expatriate
communities here. That's an advantage because the fare is authentic
and compares favorably to food back home. If I'm Lebanese, say, and I
go into a local Lebanese place and the food is poor compared to what I
was raised with, the word of mouth in the community will close that
place in short order. The trade-off is that these places are
accustomed to not having to explain their offerings, how to eat them,
etc. Most such places will inform you if you care to ask politely, and
if their language abilities are up to it. It helps to either do
research or make friends with a national (taking someone to lunch or
dinner in such a circumstance is a win-win for both sides).

Anyone who doesn't want to bother doing a little "homework"
still has the option in NYC of going to more "mainstream" places that
cater to a more "non-ethnic" audience. Most such places are reviewed
extensively in various media, so all those troubling issues are
resolved for them. The food may or may not be deracinated,
watered-down versions of the real thing, but maybe that's OK.

If that's still too uncertain, one can go to the "Chinatown
Express" at the mall, or move to Des Moines or whatever.

DGI
Posted to nyc.food,rec.food.restaurants,nyc.general,soc.culture.arabic,rec.food.cooking

NYC XYZ wrote:
> ensenadajim wrote:
>> Ever had a tuna salad sandwich? Most likely, this is a chicken salad -
>> similar to tuna salad.
>>

>> jim

> No, though I can easily imagine one!
>
> I'm just a little surprised and annoyed 'cause the menu makes no
> mention of "sandwich"...it's described like any other salad. When it
> comes (when they "have it" -- never heard of running out of salads!),
> it comes with bread, rice (?!), and some kind of tomato and lettuce
> thing, not really a salad (they're way too finely chopped up, almost
> like a salsa sauce thinggy) but still tasty.
>
> It was funny the "mideast bazaar" mentality here, almost like I'm
> haggling over a salad! =)

You just need to read the rest of the menu where you will find a chicken salad
sandwich listed ... hence the question

Posted to nyc.food,rec.food.restaurants,nyc.general,soc.culture.arabic,rec.food.cooking

NYC XYZ wrote:

> Damn, no wonder [rest of troll snipped]

Don't you just hate troll posts ...

Posted to nyc.food,rec.food.restaurants,nyc.general,soc.culture.arabic,rec.food.cooking

"ensenadajim" > wrote in message
> On 11 Aug 2006 15:30:11 -0700, "NYC XYZ" >
> wrote:
>>
>>Good grief, I ask for "grilled chicken salad" -- just as it says on
>>their menu -- and them two guys ask me, every time, whether I'd like a
>>sandwich! Does "salad" mean "in a bread" in Morroco???

> Ever had a tuna salad sandwich? Most likely, this is a chicken salad -
> similar to tuna salad.

Maybe, but I doubt it will be chicken salad as you are familiar with it.
For one thing, mayonnaise is European. It probably does not feature much
in Middle-Eastern cooking.

But they may have Americanized somewhat. Who knows?

Posted to nyc.food,rec.food.restaurants,nyc.general,soc.culture.arabic,rec.food.cooking

"NYC XYZ" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Grinner wrote:
>>

>> I love Lebanese/Arabic food. Lots of chicken, lamb, hommus, tabouli,
>> yoghurt, falafel, tahini and salads. They eat so healthily.

> Hmm, I dunno, the sauces seem mighty rich to me! I like the cuisine,
> too, but I don't care for couscous at all, though I tolerate it fine
> enough.
>
>> By sandwich does he mean rolled in a flat bread? Try it, if so.

> Wouldn't that be a Greek gyro, then? =)

I have seen those in Israeli (or do I mean Moroccan?) restaurants,
though they call it a "lafa." I love those. Try them with chummus or at
least with tahini on it, wrapped around beef. It is delish!

Posted to nyc.food,rec.food.restaurants,nyc.general,soc.culture.arabic,rec.food.cooking

"NYC XYZ" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> And is it me, or does this stuff taste pretty much like most
> Mediterranean fare? Okay, not quite Spanish or French or Italian or
> Greek or Turkish...but quite close, quite close!

I'm a little confused. Did you say "Arab" food? In the first place,
those are not at all close to ...

Never mind, there is simply just too much to say that I don't know where
to begin.

Posted to nyc.food,rec.food.restaurants,nyc.general,soc.culture.arabic,rec.food.cooking

"TheGist" > wrote in message
> NYC XYZ wrote:
>> Good grief, I ask for "grilled chicken salad" -- just as it says on
>> their menu -- and them two guys ask me, every time, whether I'd like
>> sandwich! Does "salad" mean "in a bread" in Morroco???

> Morocco is in Africa. It is not an "Arab" country.

I don't know. That seems like an awfully difficult thing to pin down
exactly.

I think the majority of citizens in Morocco consider it to be an Arab
country. It is a member of the Arab League, a member of the Arab Maghreb
Union, and a member of the Organization of the Islamic Conference. It is
NOT a member of the African Union, if that means anything.

Most Moroccans are of Arab stock, or of Berber stock, and many of them
are both. Their official language is Arabic, although 40% of the people
also speak at least one of the three dialects of Berber. According to
the CIA World Factbook, at
https://www.cia.gov/cia/publications...k/geos/mo.html , over 99% of
the people are "Arab-Berber."

Mordechai

Posted to nyc.food,rec.food.restaurants,nyc.general,soc.culture.arabic,rec.food.cooking

"NYC XYZ" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Grinner wrote:
>>

>> I love Lebanese/Arabic food. Lots of chicken, lamb, hommus, tabouli,
>> yoghurt, falafel, tahini and salads. They eat so healthily.

> Hmm, I dunno, the sauces seem mighty rich to me! I like the cuisine,
> too, but I don't care for couscous at all, though I tolerate it fine
> enough.
>
>> By sandwich does he mean rolled in a flat bread? Try it, if so.

> Wouldn't that be a Greek gyro, then? =)

Similar I guess, as too is the Greek yeeros to a Lebanese kebab roll. Though
the Greeks tend to add paprika and capsicum (a mild pepper).

Posted to nyc.food,rec.food.restaurants,nyc.general,soc.culture.arabic,rec.food.cooking

(yttrx) wrote:

>>>Ah, my apologies---if you live in Astoria and you arent an overeducated
>>>hipster (which you clearly arent), then you've got to be a fat, greasy
>>>greek bitch.
>>>
>>>I had no idea you were greek, my apologies. I didnt mean to get
>>>on your case about the implied developmental retardation that is often
>>>associated with the greek race, through thousands of years of inbreeding
>>>and little boy ****ing. Sorry!
>>>

>>>-----yttrx
>>>

>> Hey, fairly well-spoken considering you are the output of such a
>> situation. You make your momma proud, don't you?
>>

>> jim
>>

>Maaan, ive said it before, and ill say it again. I'll throw down
>with any of you bitchass mother****ers, any monday night you want.
>
>Again, I'm always at the horseshoe bar, 7&B. ****head up there is
>a pussy and never showed up.
>
>And again, I'm the guy covered with tattoos whos bigger than you.
>

>-----yttrx

Right, you arer a pimple-faced momma's boy and you know it. Were you
such a badass, you wouldn't have to say anyhting about being one.

But I see you continue making your momma proud of her darling moron.

jim

Posted to nyc.food,rec.food.restaurants,nyc.general,soc.culture.arabic,rec.food.cooking

(yttrx) wrote:

>>> Hey, fairly well-spoken considering you are the output of such a
>>> situation. You make your momma proud, don't you?
>>>

>>> jim
>>>

>>Maaan, ive said it before, and ill say it again. I'll throw down
>>with any of you bitchass mother****ers, any monday night you want.
>>
>>Again, I'm always at the horseshoe bar, 7&B. ****head up there is
>>a pussy and never showed up.
>>
>>And again, I'm the guy covered with tattoos whos bigger than you.
>>

>>-----yttrx
>>

> Right, you arer a pimple-faced momma's boy and you know it. Were you
> such a badass, you wouldn't have to say anyhting about being one.
>
> But I see you continue making your momma proud of her darling moron.
>

> jim

Guess I'll see you there then, right bitch?

-----yttrx

--
http://www.yttrx.net

Posted to nyc.food,rec.food.restaurants,nyc.general,soc.culture.arabic,rec.food.cooking

ensenadajim wrote:

> Right, you arer a pimple-faced momma's boy and you know it. Were you
> such a badass, you wouldn't have to say anyhting about being one.
>
> But I see you continue making your momma proud of her darling moron.
>

> jim

Don't encourage him. This lamer challenges me to look for him in some
bar -- after I tell him which gym I go to and when to find me.
However, he's now made a hobby out of following me around usenet!

So don't encourage him. Next thing you know, he'll have booked a
Poconos motel for the two of you for the weekend!

Posted to nyc.food,rec.food.restaurants,nyc.general,soc.culture.arabic,rec.food.cooking

In nyc.general NYC XYZ > wrote:

> ensenadajim wrote:
>>

>> Right, you arer a pimple-faced momma's boy and you know it. Were you
>> such a badass, you wouldn't have to say anyhting about being one.
>>
>> But I see you continue making your momma proud of her darling moron.
>>

>> jim

> Don't encourage him. This lamer challenges me to look for him in some
> bar -- after I tell him which gym I go to and when to find me.
> However, he's now made a hobby out of following me around usenet!

Goddamn youre such a redneck greek goomba daygo bitch, aintcha.

Actually in all seriousness I have nothing against you at all--in fact
we're very much the same.

The biggest difference I think is that im exactly like this in real
life, and you're a little pussy bitch.

-----yttrx

--
http://www.yttrx.net

Posted to nyc.food,rec.food.restaurants,nyc.general,soc.culture.arabic,rec.food.cooking

Bailey Legull wrote:

> Hey, I go to Astoria all the time, but rarely eat there. Just too hard
> to tell which places are good and which aren't. I get spanikopita at a
> place by the 30th Street N-train stop, and the world's best feta from
> the Greek market a couple blocks away.
>
> So, which is the best place to eat? I LOVE places like Mamoun's in
> NYC, with takeout falafel, but cozy little places with tables are good
> too.

Sorry, can't help you there. As is probably evident, I'm just a casual
diner when it comes to Arab cuisine (indeed, some have objected to the
broadly-applied "Arab" label). The great thing about most of them is
that they're like typical Korean restauranteurs, open until three or
four in the morning.

Kabab Cafe on Steinway Street and 25th Avenue is highly rated.
Expensive, though, considering the locale (~$25 entrees -- and they're
not "hungry man" portions, either). But the guy's got talent! Even
his desserts are great and creative. His brother owns the other joint
three or four doors up the block! They're the guys featured in the
book "Crossing the Boulevard" about Queens, the most diverse place on
the whole planet (it's true -- I don't mean ethnic enclaves but really
mixed-up; I've got Croats, Russians, Bulgarians, Italians, Irish,
Chinese, Koreans, Pakis, a Sikh, and of course all kinds of hispanics
in my building alone).

But, oh, they're not one of those open until three in the morning. Too
Zagat-rated for that, I guess! (Actually, it's 'cause the brothers
cook everything themselves and need a break some time!)

Posted to nyc.food,rec.food.restaurants,nyc.general,soc.culture.arabic,rec.food.cooking

Mordechai Housman wrote:

> I'm a little confused. Did you say "Arab" food? In the first place,
> those are not at all close to ...
>
> Never mind, there is simply just too much to say that I don't know where
> to begin.

Yeah, well, I know, maybe I'm just getting to be prematurely jaded or
something.

Posted to nyc.food,rec.food.restaurants,nyc.general,soc.culture.arabic,rec.food.cooking

(yttrx) wrote:

>>>Maaan, ive said it before, and ill say it again. I'll throw down
>>>with any of you bitchass mother****ers, any monday night you want.
>>>
>>>Again, I'm always at the horseshoe bar, 7&B. ****head up there is
>>>a pussy and never showed up.
>>>
>>>And again, I'm the guy covered with tattoos whos bigger than you.
>>>

>>>-----yttrx
>>>

>> Right, you arer a pimple-faced momma's boy and you know it. Were you
>> such a badass, you wouldn't have to say anyhting about being one.
>>
>> But I see you continue making your momma proud of her darling moron.
>>

>> jim
>>

>Guess I'll see you there then, right bitch?
>

>-----yttrx

If you had half a wit to work with and ANY intelligence at all, you
would know you are on the wrong coast, sfb.

jim

Posted to nyc.food,rec.food.restaurants,nyc.general,soc.culture.arabic,rec.food.cooking

On 13 Aug 2006 19:22:07 -0700, "NYC XYZ" >
wrote:

>ensenadajim wrote:
>>

>> Right, you arer a pimple-faced momma's boy and you know it. Were you
>> such a badass, you wouldn't have to say anyhting about being one.
>>
>> But I see you continue making your momma proud of her darling moron.
>>

>> jim

>Don't encourage him. This lamer challenges me to look for him in some
>bar -- after I tell him which gym I go to and when to find me.
>However, he's now made a hobby out of following me around usenet!
>
>So don't encourage him. Next thing you know, he'll have booked a
>Poconos motel for the two of you for the weekend!

You are probably right, but I doubt he would do anything as he's been
sitting around on a couch with his thumb up his ass and going out
would mean pulling his pleasure center out.

jim

Posted to nyc.food,rec.food.restaurants,nyc.general,soc.culture.arabic,rec.food.cooking

(yttrx) wrote:

>>> Right, you arer a pimple-faced momma's boy and you know it. Were you
>>> such a badass, you wouldn't have to say anyhting about being one.
>>>
>>> But I see you continue making your momma proud of her darling moron.
>>>

>>> jim
>>>

>>Guess I'll see you there then, right bitch?
>>

>>-----yttrx

> If you had half a wit to work with and ANY intelligence at all, you
> would know you are on the wrong coast, sfb.

Uh, no. I'm on the right (and correct) coast, and if you're not here
as well, then theres no reason that I should be talking to you in the
first place---as you have nothing of value to say.

-----yttrx

--
http://www.yttrx.net

Posted to nyc.food,rec.food.restaurants,nyc.general,soc.culture.arabic,rec.food.cooking

(yttrx) wrote:

>>>Guess I'll see you there then, right bitch?
>>>

>>>-----yttrx

>> If you had half a wit to work with and ANY intelligence at all, you
>> would know you are on the wrong coast, sfb.
>>

>Uh, no. I'm on the right (and correct) coast, and if you're not here
>as well, then theres no reason that I should be talking to you in the
>first place---as you have nothing of value to say.
>

>-----yttrx

Evidently, "you are brain dead" flies right over your head.

jim

Posted to nyc.food,rec.food.restaurants,nyc.general,soc.culture.arabic,rec.food.cooking

(yttrx) wrote:

>>> If you had half a wit to work with and ANY intelligence at all, you
>>> would know you are on the wrong coast, sfb.
>>>

>>Uh, no. I'm on the right (and correct) coast, and if you're not here
>>as well, then theres no reason that I should be talking to you in the
>>first place---as you have nothing of value to say.
>>

>>-----yttrx
>>

> Evidently, "you are brain dead" flies right over your head.
>

> jim

Umm..did I or did I not just say that you have nothing of value
to say? Now hush. Grownups talking.

-----yttrx

--
http://www.yttrx.net

Posted to nyc.food,rec.food.restaurants,nyc.general,soc.culture.arabic,rec.food.cooking

David G. Imber wrote:

> I really didn't want to respond to this thread because it's
> populated with bigots, nimrods and bigoted nimrods, so why bother?
> (The OP, btw, didn't seem to fit into either of those categories
> particularly, judging especially from his trenchant and well-observed
> sign-off).

Heh heh...full disclosu I had been thinking of quipping, "no wonder
they can't beat the Israelis!"

> But for others who don't fall into those categories and who
> are genuinely interested in the NYC food scene: One of the great
> thrills of dining in NYC is that many places cater almost exclusively
> to fellow nationals, because many, many nationalities have expatriate
> communities here. That's an advantage because the fare is authentic
> and compares favorably to food back home. If I'm Lebanese, say, and I
> go into a local Lebanese place and the food is poor compared to what I
> was raised with, the word of mouth in the community will close that
> place in short order. The trade-off is that these places are
> accustomed to not having to explain their offerings, how to eat them,
> etc. Most such places will inform you if you care to ask politely, and
> if their language abilities are up to it. It helps to either do
> research or make friends with a national (taking someone to lunch or
> dinner in such a circumstance is a win-win for both sides).

Yes, you are right -- but something like "grilled chicken salad" being
in the menu but when you ask for it the guys are like "???" is just
plain weird. Or something being in the menu but they don't have it
today (and I'm not talking sea-food or a situation like that). Or just
plain sometimes the guy's open, other times not! Though I rather
understand that one...he's a real chef and cooks when he feels like it.

> Anyone who doesn't want to bother doing a little "homework"
> still has the option in NYC of going to more "mainstream" places that
> cater to a more "non-ethnic" audience. Most such places are reviewed
> extensively in various media, so all those troubling issues are
> resolved for them. The food may or may not be deracinated,
> watered-down versions of the real thing, but maybe that's OK.

Yes, of course. Steinway Street (the Arab part) is like a hip place to
go for those who think Greenwich Village or Williamsburg is too
mainstream.

> If that's still too uncertain, one can go to the "Chinatown
> Express" at the mall, or move to Des Moines or whatever.

Well, I wouldn't mind too much an Arab version of it. Actually, I
wonder why no one's ever tried this: a "food of the world" franchise!
But authentic, not something that tastes like "regular American fare,"
only with a dash of exoticism...there are enough "cross-over" dishes in
any cuisine which can be totally authentic but still quite accessible
to most any palate....

> DGI

Posted to nyc.food,rec.food.restaurants,nyc.general,soc.culture.arabic,rec.food.cooking

NYC XYZ wrote:
> Bailey Legull wrote:

> > So, which is the best place to eat? I LOVE places like Mamoun's in
> > NYC, with takeout falafel, but cozy little places with tables are good
> > too.

> Sorry, can't help you there. As is probably evident, I'm just a casual
> diner when it comes to Arab cuisine

Thanks for the reply. Guessed I phrased it wrong. Where was the
grilled chicken salad place? Usually when I'm in Astoria I'm by
myself, running errands, and I'm always on the lookout for stands or
takeout.

One of my favorite Hispanic places is on Broadway near 160th St, I
think. "Tu Sabor Latino." A whole rotisserie chicken for $7, and it's
FANTASTIC, with a weird orange sauce and red onion. They're
Ecuadorian, I guess, and have lots of steam table dishes like baccaolo.

And then in L. A., one of the few things I miss is Zankou chicken.
Absolute HEAVEN. Then in Texas there's a chain called Taco Cabana with
terrific chicken and fantastic salsas. Looove little inexpensive
ethnic holes-in-the-wall.

Posted to nyc.food,rec.food.restaurants,nyc.general,soc.culture.arabic,rec.food.cooking

On 15 Aug 2006 06:45:15 -0700, "NYC XYZ" >
wrote:

>Well, I wouldn't mind too much an Arab version of it. Actually, I
>wonder why no one's ever tried this: a "food of the world" franchise!
>But authentic, not something that tastes like "regular American fare,"
>only with a dash of exoticism...there are enough "cross-over" dishes in
>any cuisine which can be totally authentic but still quite accessible
>to most any palate....

I agree completely with that. But I have friends who live in
the midwest (including Des Moines, as a matter of fact) and I often
find the parochialism they report they encounter when it comes to food
absolutely staggering!

These are people who came from these areas originally, moved
to NYC then moved back, or were born here and moved to the midwest for
other reasons. If they even manage to find the most prosaic foreign
stuff, like tofu, they're regarded as so weird they may as well be
eating dog food. Or injecting it.

When they get back to NY and I take them to the most common
sort of place here in Chinatown, for instance, they practically weep
with joy.

As for the erratic menu situations you've encountered in
Middle Eastern places here (what started this thread), well, sometimes
erratic is...just what it is. Maybe it's part of the "charm"(?)

DGI

Posted to nyc.food,rec.food.restaurants,nyc.general,soc.culture.arabic,rec.food.cooking

(yttrx) wrote:

>>>Uh, no. I'm on the right (and correct) coast, and if you're not here
>>>as well, then theres no reason that I should be talking to you in the
>>>first place---as you have nothing of value to say.
>>>

>>>-----yttrx
>>>

>> Evidently, "you are brain dead" flies right over your head.
>>

>> jim
>>

>Umm..did I or did I not just say that you have nothing of value
>to say? Now hush. Grownups talking.

Oh, so that's why you are sitting on the staircase looking down at all
of us through the bannister. Off to bed with you and we'll let your
momma know sop she can come and kiss you goodnight, if she's cares
enough to.

jim

Posted to nyc.food,rec.food.restaurants,nyc.general,soc.culture.arabic,rec.food.cooking

Bailey Legull wrote:

> Thanks for the reply. Guessed I phrased it wrong. Where was the
> grilled chicken salad place? Usually when I'm in Astoria I'm by
> myself, running errands, and I'm always on the lookout for stands or
> takeout.

That "grilled chicken salad place" is on the corner of Steinway Street
and 25th Avenue. They are open until three in the morning, sometimes
four if warranted. There are lots of Arab night spots there along
Steinway that open about that late, though I'm not sure if they still
really serve food, they're more like hookah-bars.

There's also one of them foodcarts on the corner of Steinway Street
and, what, 34th Avenue. They go home at eight, nine, but they're
supposed to be very good. I didn't notice much difference myself, but,
like I said, I'm still fairly new to Arab cuisine.

> <SNIP>

Posted to nyc.food,rec.food.restaurants,nyc.general,soc.culture.arabic,rec.food.cooking

David G. Imber wrote:

> I agree completely with that. But I have friends who live in
> the midwest (including Des Moines, as a matter of fact) and I often
> find the parochialism they report they encounter when it comes to food
> absolutely staggering!

In my own family my sister used to like curry, but now she can't stand
it and doesn't remember ever liking it! But I used to *not* like pizza
at all -- "sweet" cheese and "sour" tomato just too weird -- whereas
now I can almost eat it every day!

> These are people who came from these areas originally, moved
> to NYC then moved back, or were born here and moved to the midwest for
> other reasons. If they even manage to find the most prosaic foreign
> stuff, like tofu, they're regarded as so weird they may as well be
> eating dog food. Or injecting it.

Interesting. My social crowd was younger back then, so maybe that had
something to do with the lack of food parochialism. It got to be a
frat-house atmosphere at times, people egging each other on to eat
strange things.

> When they get back to NY and I take them to the most common
> sort of place here in Chinatown, for instance, they practically weep
> with joy.

I know the feeling. Coming home on leave, I felt the same way. Except
I didn't do it for "the most common sort of place" -- something like
Big Wong on Mott Street you can find in most any large US city , even
under a million.

> As for the erratic menu situations you've encountered in
> Middle Eastern places here (what started this thread), well, sometimes
> erratic is...just what it is. Maybe it's part of the "charm"(?)

Yeah, you can say that again...I just went to the "grilled chicken
salad place" again...this time, they want to charge me $20 for a fish
entree, which I'd paid $15 for last time! It was another dude at the
counter...I've noticed this with even the Arab groceries here...they
just make up prices.

I should have haggled!