Posted to soc.culture.asian.american,soc.culture.korean,rec.food.restaurants

Default Are Koreans snobs?

helenuhm wrote:
> Walmart sells crap, and you could buy cheap goods (better quality than
> Walmart) on any street corner in Korea without shopping at Walmart.
>
> Korean restaurants are pricy because all the side dishes you get with
> your entre.

I seriously doubt the little appetizers really add to the cost of food.
I think it's simply that Koreans think dining out should cost more
money than McDonald's.

The Chinese, on the other hand, have cutthroat price-cutting mentality.
They feel like they're competing against McDonald's for some reason,
and see their comparative advantage, to borrow the economic term, as
volume: lots of food for $5-10, as opposed to haute-cuisine for $20-30.

Rising Cost of Kimchi Alarms Koreans Victor Sack[_1_] General Cooking 28 22-10-2010 04:20 PM
and you thought the north koreans were all eating grass and bugs... blake murphy[_2_] General Cooking 6 04-08-2010 06:53 PM
Koreans Revolt Against U.S. Beef Mark Thorson General Cooking 9 01-06-2008 07:42 AM
Sushi and Koreans Karuchi Sushi 13 07-12-2007 09:35 PM
Tea snobs - educate me! Gadfly Tea 36 10-01-2005 01:50 PM