Can Altinbay

Default Fine dining in Indy

Can someone suggest a place to eat in Indianapolis that would be "classy" -
excellent food with class service, for a special occasion such as a
birthday?

I just moved here from Denver, where that place would be Tante Louise, if
that information would help someone.
Note that Denver hsa several pricey restaurants, but TL is in a class by
itself. Other places in my opinion have failed in one respect or another to
live up to the expectations created by reputation and price.
(In other words, I'm very picky about this.)
Indianapolis has proved to have many great places for regular dining. I'm
hoping there's a great place for "finer" dining.

Brian Seeger

"Can Altinbay" > wrote:

>Can someone suggest a place to eat in Indianapolis that would be "classy" -
>excellent food with class service, for a special occasion such as a
>birthday?

I find when I am in a different city...the wine list really determines the
"class" of the restaurant. Start here with Wine Spectator

http://www.winespectator.com/Wine/Di...rder=rest_name

DineSite might also be helpful

http://dinesite.com/city/city-Indian...state-Indiana/

Brian Seeger

"Can Altinbay" > wrote:

>Can someone suggest a place to eat in Indianapolis that would be "classy" -
>excellent food with class service, for a special occasion such as a
>birthday?

I find when I am in a different city...the wine list really determines the
"class" of the restaurant. Start here with Wine Spectator

http://www.winespectator.com/Wine/Di...rder=rest_name

DineSite might also be helpful

http://dinesite.com/city/city-Indian...state-Indiana/

pltrgyst

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 23:40:20 GMT, Brian Seeger > wrote:

>I find when I am in a different city...the wine list really determines the
>"class" of the restaurant. Start here with Wine Spectator
>
>http://www.winespectator.com/Wine/Di...rder=rest_name

Well, given that Wine Spectator "ratings" are essentially purchased and
unverified advertising credentials, you probably end of dining in a lot of
over-priced or mediocre restaurants. Just IMO, of course. 8

-- Larry

pltrgyst

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 23:40:20 GMT, Brian Seeger > wrote:

>I find when I am in a different city...the wine list really determines the
>"class" of the restaurant. Start here with Wine Spectator
>
>http://www.winespectator.com/Wine/Di...rder=rest_name

Well, given that Wine Spectator "ratings" are essentially purchased and
unverified advertising credentials, you probably end of dining in a lot of
over-priced or mediocre restaurants. Just IMO, of course. 8

-- Larry

Can Altinbay

"Can Altinbay" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Can someone suggest a place to eat in Indianapolis that would be

"classy" -
> excellent food with class service, for a special occasion such as a
> birthday?
>
> I just moved here from Denver, where that place would be Tante Louise, if
> that information would help someone.
> Note that Denver hsa several pricey restaurants, but TL is in a class by
> itself. Other places in my opinion have failed in one respect or another

> live up to the expectations created by reputation and price.
> (In other words, I'm very picky about this.)
> Indianapolis has proved to have many great places for regular dining. I'm
> hoping there's a great place for "finer" dining.

I think I remember reading somewhere that there is a place that has just one
or only a few tables that maybe doesn't have a fixed menu. Does someone
know something like that?

Can Altinbay

"Can Altinbay" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Can someone suggest a place to eat in Indianapolis that would be

"classy" -
> excellent food with class service, for a special occasion such as a
> birthday?
>
> I just moved here from Denver, where that place would be Tante Louise, if
> that information would help someone.
> Note that Denver hsa several pricey restaurants, but TL is in a class by
> itself. Other places in my opinion have failed in one respect or another

> live up to the expectations created by reputation and price.
> (In other words, I'm very picky about this.)
> Indianapolis has proved to have many great places for regular dining. I'm
> hoping there's a great place for "finer" dining.

I think I remember reading somewhere that there is a place that has just one
or only a few tables that maybe doesn't have a fixed menu. Does someone
know something like that?

Can Altinbay

"Brian Seeger" > wrote in message
> "Can Altinbay" > wrote:
>
> >Can someone suggest a place to eat in Indianapolis that would be

"classy" -
> >excellent food with class service, for a special occasion such as a
> >birthday?

> I find when I am in a different city...the wine list really determines the
> "class" of the restaurant. Start here with Wine Spectator

http://www.winespectator.com/Wine/Di...taurant_Index/
1,1244,,00.html?restaurant=&city=indianapolis&stat e=&thiszip=&thisdist=0&for
eigncountry=&pricing=&cuisine=&awardlevel=&corkage =&rowincrement=25&rowbegin
=1&rowend=0&sortorder=rest_name

I'll check it out. Despite the other response to this, there is always
information you can get from things like this.

> DineSite might also be helpful
>
> http://dinesite.com/city/city-Indian...state-Indiana/

I've been there. Trying to figure out how to get the real dope when the
reviews are all over the map. But for a couple of places, the opinion seems
to be pretty much that the food is ordinary. Again, any information is
good. After a while, you can start getting a good picture.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Can Altinbay

"Brian Seeger" > wrote in message
> "Can Altinbay" > wrote:
>
> >Can someone suggest a place to eat in Indianapolis that would be

"classy" -
> >excellent food with class service, for a special occasion such as a
> >birthday?

> I find when I am in a different city...the wine list really determines the
> "class" of the restaurant. Start here with Wine Spectator

http://www.winespectator.com/Wine/Di...taurant_Index/
1,1244,,00.html?restaurant=&city=indianapolis&stat e=&thiszip=&thisdist=0&for
eigncountry=&pricing=&cuisine=&awardlevel=&corkage =&rowincrement=25&rowbegin
=1&rowend=0&sortorder=rest_name

I'll check it out. Despite the other response to this, there is always
information you can get from things like this.

> DineSite might also be helpful
>
> http://dinesite.com/city/city-Indian...state-Indiana/

I've been there. Trying to figure out how to get the real dope when the
reviews are all over the map. But for a couple of places, the opinion seems
to be pretty much that the food is ordinary. Again, any information is
good. After a while, you can start getting a good picture.

Thanks for the suggestions.

The Ranger

Can Altinbay > asked in message
ink.net...
> Can someone suggest a place to eat in Indianapolis
> that would be "classy" - excellent food with class
> service, for a special occasion such as a birthday?

[snip]

If you are a AAA member, you can use their tour book to help weed
out the less-desirable places.

The Ranger

The Ranger

Can Altinbay > asked in message
ink.net...
> Can someone suggest a place to eat in Indianapolis
> that would be "classy" - excellent food with class
> service, for a special occasion such as a birthday?

[snip]

If you are a AAA member, you can use their tour book to help weed
out the less-desirable places.

The Ranger

Charles Demas

In article >,
The Ranger > wrote:
>Can Altinbay > asked in message
link.net...
>> Can someone suggest a place to eat in Indianapolis
>> that would be "classy" - excellent food with class
>> service, for a special occasion such as a birthday?

>[snip]
>
>If you are a AAA member, you can use their tour book to help weed
>out the less-desirable places.

Yes, the best restaurants in the tour book for a given area have
always been good/great restaurants, not cutting edge or trendy,
but solid fine dining.

Chuck Demas

--
Eat Healthy | _ _ | Nothing would be done at all,
Stay Fit | @ @ | If a man waited to do it so well,
| \___/ | http://world.std.com/~cpd
Melba's Jammin'

In article . net>, "Can
Altinbay" > wrote:

> Can someone suggest a place to eat in Indianapolis that would be
> "classy" - excellent food with class service, for a special occasion
> such as a birthday?

I asked a friend who used to live there; here's her reply to me:

"Probably one of the more elegant, but pricey, restaurants is actually
in the suburb of Carmel, The Glass Chimney. The Majestic is downtown
and I've had excellent meals there - also a bit pricey and the
atmosphere is fun while somehow managing to be "classy," as well. It
has a renovated (and well done renovation) downtown warehouse feel to
it that is just fun. St. Elmo's steakhouse has been around forever and
is an Indianapolis institution. St. Elmo's has a turn of the
(19th/20th) century atmosphere. Not really "classy," IMHO, but has a
certain historical presence."
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 7/4/04.

Can Altinbay

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article . net>, "Can
> Altinbay" > wrote:
>
> > Can someone suggest a place to eat in Indianapolis that would be
> > "classy" - excellent food with class service, for a special occasion
> > such as a birthday?

> I asked a friend who used to live there; here's her reply to me:
>
> "Probably one of the more elegant, but pricey, restaurants is actually
> in the suburb of Carmel, The Glass Chimney. The Majestic is downtown
> and I've had excellent meals there - also a bit pricey and the
> atmosphere is fun while somehow managing to be "classy," as well. It
> has a renovated (and well done renovation) downtown warehouse feel to
> it that is just fun. St. Elmo's steakhouse has been around forever and
> is an Indianapolis institution. St. Elmo's has a turn of the
> (19th/20th) century atmosphere. Not really "classy," IMHO, but has a
> certain historical presence."
> --
> -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 7/4/04.

Thanks. I'll look into these.

BB

http://www.palomino.com/

"Can Altinbay" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Can someone suggest a place to eat in Indianapolis that would be

"classy" -
> excellent food with class service, for a special occasion such as a
> birthday?
>
> I just moved here from Denver, where that place would be Tante Louise, if
> that information would help someone.
> Note that Denver hsa several pricey restaurants, but TL is in a class by
> itself. Other places in my opinion have failed in one respect or another

> live up to the expectations created by reputation and price.
> (In other words, I'm very picky about this.)
> Indianapolis has proved to have many great places for regular dining. I'm
> hoping there's a great place for "finer" dining.

BB

http://www.palomino.com/

"Can Altinbay" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Can someone suggest a place to eat in Indianapolis that would be

"classy" -
> excellent food with class service, for a special occasion such as a
> birthday?
>
> I just moved here from Denver, where that place would be Tante Louise, if
> that information would help someone.
> Note that Denver hsa several pricey restaurants, but TL is in a class by
> itself. Other places in my opinion have failed in one respect or another

> live up to the expectations created by reputation and price.
> (In other words, I'm very picky about this.)
> Indianapolis has proved to have many great places for regular dining. I'm
> hoping there's a great place for "finer" dining.

Can Altinbay

"BB" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> http://www.palomino.com/

Thanks for the suggestion. There is also a Palomino in Denver. We never
went. It was my impression that it was a steakhouse. We may check it out
later.

Meanwhile, we found our place - Bijou in Lebanon, about a half hour from
Indy.

Can Altinbay

"BB" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> http://www.palomino.com/

Thanks for the suggestion. There is also a Palomino in Denver. We never
went. It was my impression that it was a steakhouse. We may check it out
later.

Meanwhile, we found our place - Bijou in Lebanon, about a half hour from
Indy.

Barbara

Can Altinbay wrote:

> "BB" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
> > http://www.palomino.com/
> >

> Thanks for the suggestion. There is also a Palomino in Denver. We never
> went. It was my impression that it was a steakhouse. We may check it out
> later.
>
> Meanwhile, we found our place - Bijou in Lebanon, about a half hour from
> Indy.

You may also want to check out Something Different.

http://www.somethingdifferentsnax.com/
Barbara

Can Altinbay wrote:

> "BB" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
> > http://www.palomino.com/
> >

> Thanks for the suggestion. There is also a Palomino in Denver. We never
> went. It was my impression that it was a steakhouse. We may check it out
> later.
>
> Meanwhile, we found our place - Bijou in Lebanon, about a half hour from
> Indy.

You may also want to check out Something Different.

http://www.somethingdifferentsnax.com/

The End of the Fine Dining Restaurant? st.helier[_1_] Wine 4 10-03-2008 05:20 PM
fine dining Brian Christiansen General Cooking 107 19-09-2007 08:07 PM
Fine Dining Pictures Chef Frog Baking 0 10-10-2006 12:21 AM
Fine dining in Charleston, WV Mike Restaurants 1 26-11-2005 03:48 PM
Fine Dining in Milwaukee - Help? enjayare Restaurants 0 01-11-2004 05:18 PM