Posted to rec.food.restaurants

Default Music for lunch, dinner and after hours

Note: Sub Rosa is a 'virtual' restaurant in Dundee, Oregon. Food and
music.... only available online. Each month we change out music for
the lunch, dinner and late night crowd. Here's this months setlist.

The Sub Rosa archives contain music that we simply just couldn't get
out of our heads. Usually it is tunes from months past that we've
either posted before or played 'in-house' at our divey little
restaurant that are finally seeing the light of day. This month we are
in a soul, blues and funk mode as summer ends and fall beckons.

http://www.subrosa.arbre.us/SubRosaMusicArchive.html

For lunch in September, dial in for two live songs from the Sons of
Champlin in Petaluma, California on March 10, 2006. The stage banter
is hilarious.

Does anyone remember the Seattle funk band Ballin'jack? We posted
'Found A Child' one of the most sampled hip hop tunes ever. This
has funk written all over it.

'Bamboozled By Love' was one of Frank Zappa's blues blow outs...
only Frank couldn't leave a piece alone for very long... he'd
rearrange it if only because he was bored by what he'd done before.
And his band... tight, tight, tight.

Jamal's version of 'Long Tall Sally' is nice. He slides in the
back door and surprises you with this one. Then an early Mike Finnigan
lends his B3 to 'Somebody Help Me'. For another helping of B3,
check out these two tunes by an early Billy Joel band called The
Hassles. On the song 'When I Got Home' you'd swear you were
listening to 'Hard Days Night' era Beatles. Nice organ there
Billy.

Okay... enough Michael Jackson jokes... not really. This is a parody
that is worth listening to. Its too bad Jacko went alien on us. He
was a terrific artist in his day. How far the mighty fall.

Remember Fleetwood Mac when they were simply a blues band? 'Then
Plays On' was in transition between their rollicking blues period and
the Stevie Nicks pop era. Moody and wonderful.

The Jimi Hendrix is from the original Electric Ladyland sessions. This
piece made up the bulk of the Rainy Day, Dream Away song. And on
Hammond B3... Mike Finnigan. Jeez Louise that man got around.

For dinner, don't miss a jazz medley by the Geoff Palmer Quartet.
Can your vibe player do THAT?!

Food drives us. Alcohol fuels us. But the thumping heart of Sub Rosa is
in the music. We spin music for each meal. Arrive hungry and dial into
the groove.

On the main music page this month, I fell into a mode of women who rock
and didn't pull out of that nosedive until the end.

http://www.subrosa.arbre.us/SubRosaMusic.html

Melissa Etheridge nails Janis Joplin's 'Piece of My Heart'.
Bonnie Raitt 'Can Find My Way Home' from the early 70's is
priceless. Carol King wrote the original 'Take A Giant Step',
which the Monkees made famous. This track is off the original acetate
and it sounds like it too. Don't snicker now... the Britney Spears
flamenco remix of 'I'm Not A Girl, Not Yet A Woman' is really
quite good. After a slew of women... we end up with Green Day doing
'We Are The Champions' and a Moby remix of Joy Division's gothic
monster 'New Dawn Fades'.

For dinner time, the Nat King Cole's version of L.O.V.E sung in
French is a delight and after hours... just for grins, the 'bacon
remix' of Vanilla Ice's 'Ice Ice Baby' is done tongue in cheek
with a side of bacon. Very funny.

The September playlist for Sub Rosa was a blast to put together. Hope
you like it.