Recipes (alt.food.recipes) An alternative recipe newsgroup. For the posting and sharing of recipes.

Member

Location: Brisbane
Default Goan Fish Curry

For more recipes like this visit The Curry Pot

Goan fish Curry is a rich and dry curry that works well with dark oily fish like Mackerel, Salmon and even shark. The temperature can be adjusted by altering the number of chillies added however we would never recommend reducing the amount suggested. They are after all a flavor enhancer.

Ingredients

Goan Fish Curry Powder

* 6 - 12 Dry Chillies, with seeds removed if you must reduce the heat.
* 2 Teaspoons of Coriander Seeds
* Tablespoon of Cumin Seeds
* 1/2 Teaspoon of ground Turmeric
* Teaspoon of Brown Mustard Seeds
* 1/2 Teaspoon of Garam Masala

Blended Ingredients

* 1 Peeled Tomato
* 2 Brown Onions
* 8 Cloves of garlic
* 1 inch of Ginger
* 6 Chillies

Other Ingredients

* 1 tablespoon of Ghee or Vegetable Oil.
* 3-4 Fish Steaks
* Sliced Onion
* 3 tablespoons of Coconut Cream
* 1/2 Cup of Tamarind Water (1 and 1/2 teaspoons of dissolved pulp)

Instructions

Dry fry whole spices in a frypan until pungent, then transfer to a mortar and pestle, grind and place aside. Blend, blended ingredients until smooth and place aside. Add ghee and sliced onion to a large frypan and brown the onion. Once brown pour in blended ingredients and fry for approx. 20 minutes until a thick curry paste is formed and oil seperates from the mixture. Add Tamarind water, ground spices and coconut cream to form the sauce. Add Fish steaks and simmer gently until cooked through. Season with lots of salt to balance the fried onion. Serve with fresh lime, corriander and chilli on a bed of rice.
Member

Location: Adelaide

Looks terrific. I will definately make this and probably use flake. Do you use a proprietry garam masala or do you make your own?

Cheers

Incidently I have just joined and I am from Adelaide.