Recipes (alt.food.recipes) An alternative recipe newsgroup. For the posting and sharing of recipes.

Duckie ®

Default Baked Potato Salad-----------C2C

Baked Potato Salad

Makes 4 servings

Ingredients:

4 baking potatoes
12 ounces sour cream
3 chopped green onions
4 strips of cooked bacon, chopped
2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
salt
pepper

Preparation:

Scrub four baking potatoes, pierce with fork and microwave on high for
12 minutes or until done. When done, place in large Ziploc bag and
plunge into an ice bath until fully cooled.

Cut potatoes (with skin) into 1/2-inch cubes.

In mixing bowl, combine potato cubes, sour cream, green onion, bacon
and shredded cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste. For added
flavor, add chopped fresh rosemary and chives.

Store in refrigerator. Serve chilled.

Robert Goodman

Duckie ® > wrote in message >. ..

> Scrub four baking potatoes, pierce with fork and microwave on high for
> 12 minutes or until done. When done, place in large Ziploc bag and
> plunge into an ice bath until fully cooled.

> Cut potatoes (with skin) into 1/2-inch cubes.

Does the cold shock make them cut more neatly, or would slow chilling work as well?
Joseph Littleshoes

Robert Goodman wrote:

> Duckie ® > wrote in message >. ..
>
> > Scrub four baking potatoes, pierce with fork and microwave on high for
> > 12 minutes or until done. When done, place in large Ziploc bag and
> > plunge into an ice bath until fully cooled.

> > Cut potatoes (with skin) into 1/2-inch cubes.

> Does the cold shock make them cut more neatly, or would slow chilling work as well?

If "baking potatoes" referes to Idaho or Russet potatoes i stopped using them for potatoe salad a long
time ago and much prefere the small, new red or white potatoes. Once lightly cooked, either nuked or
baked or steamed or boiled they hold their shape better and IMO are better tasteing.
--
JL

Robert Goodman

Joseph Littleshoes > wrote in message >...

> > > Scrub four baking potatoes, pierce with fork and microwave on high for
> > > 12 minutes or until done. When done, place in large Ziploc bag and
> > > plunge into an ice bath until fully cooled.

> > > Cut potatoes (with skin) into 1/2-inch cubes.

> > Does the cold shock make them cut more neatly, or would slow chilling work as well?

> If "baking potatoes" referes to Idaho or Russet potatoes i stopped using them for potatoe salad a long
> time ago and much prefere the small, new red or white potatoes. Once lightly cooked, either nuked or
> baked or steamed or boiled they hold their shape better and IMO are better tasteing.

I prefer the taste of the baking potatoes, but I agree (as noted in my
recently linked recipe) that cut pieces of whites or reds are less
fragile in salad. New potatoes (which are budded eyes) are even
harder.

But I'm still intrigued by the Duckie-posted quick-cool method. That
sort of thing is usually done by people when blanching, to avoid
over-cooking, and seems like a lot of fuss for whole potatoes. The
microwave's heat will maximize at a certain depth in the potato (the
usual statement about cooking from inside out being only APPROXIMATELY
true), and I don't see the quick cooling as compensating the cooking
time at various depths. But being that Idahos are softer than whites,
I was guessing that it was to firm them up before cutting for salad
use.

Robert