Recipes (moderated) (rec.food.recipes) A moderated forum. The purpose of rec.food.recipes is for posting recipes and recipe requests only. It is for the *sharing* of recipes among the readers.

Jean B.

Default Pumpkin Chiffon Pie

"Dick Kohlstrand" > wrote:
>I'm looking for a recipe for Pumpkin Chiffon pie.. I remember my mother
>used

to make these pies and they were so much better than just a regular
>pumpkin

pie.. Would sure appreciate hearing from someone who has a good >recipe.

Dick, we have enjoyed this recipe for decades. Please give it a try and,
if you remember, tell me what you think of it. Note that in the past few
years I have realized that not only do you have to make the crust from
scratch, but you have to at least include SOME Nabisco graham crackers
that you have pounded into crumbs yourself. Unfortunately, the packaged
graham cracker crumbs are much too fine, and, I think, not as flavorful.

Jean B.

Grandma Sloman's Pumpkin Chiffon Pie (10")

In our family, this is variously referred to as "the Cadillac of pies" or
just "THE pie." It is the pie I (b. 1950) was brought up with, and it was
rare, until recent years, to see recipes for pumpkin chiffon pies. It was
(and is) mandatory in our family on all fall and winter holidays (though I
DO try to switch to Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie for Easter). Enjoy it! Jean B.

3 eggs, separated
1 cup sugar, divided
1 can "One Pie" pumpkin (used to be 16 oz, now generally 15 oz, but either
is okay)
1/2 cup milk (evaporated is okay)
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp gelatin (nb: 1 pkg is now less than this; use 1 Tbsp)
1/4 cup cold water
graham cracker crust (see below)

To slightly beaten egg yolks, add 1/2 cup sugar (see comment below),
pumpkin, milk, spices, and salt. Cook, stirring, in a double boiler over
boiling water til thickened. (It sometimes seems almost impossible to
tell when this occurs. I might just give up when the mixture starts
steaming!) Add the gelatin, which has been softened in the water. Mix
thoroughly and cool in refrigerator. When it begins to thicken, stir in
the remaining 1/2 cup sugar. (You need to check its progress
occasionally. Once it starts to thicken around the edges, it can thicken
up too much very quickly.) Then fold in the stiffly beaten egg whites.
(Well, I probably stir about 1/4 cup sugar into the pumpkin mixture and
beat the rest with the whites so they'll be more stable.) Pour into
graham cracker crust and chill til firm.
Serve topped with very lightly sweetened whipped cream (I think using
confectioner's sugar makes this more stable) and candied ginger (cut in
about 1/8-1/4" dice).

Graham Cracker Crust:
2 cups graham cracker crumbs (see preface to recipe)
1/2 cup melted butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon

Mix all ingredients well. Pat into a 10" pie pan, Bake 10-15 minutes at
300 F. Cool. Jean B. via rfr

--
Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia Hill at .
Archives: