Recipes (moderated) (rec.food.recipes) A moderated forum. The purpose of rec.food.recipes is for posting recipes and recipe requests only. It is for the *sharing* of recipes among the readers.

Julia Dream

Default Japanese Eggplant (2) Collection

Grilled Japanese Eggplant
Yang Chow Eggplant in Hot Spicy Garlic Sauce

> hi all
> I am looking for recipes for Japenese Eggplants I was
> just given a lot and I have never cooked them before
> thanks
> lorrie

Hi there, Lorrie!

We love Japanese eggplant. The flavor is never bitter so it never needs
salting prior to cooking. We have been making them a lot lately because
they have been on sale for .59/lb., and are absolutely beautiful. Here are
two ways we like to enjoy them. The first is grilled; the second is
stir-fried.

First of all, choose firm-fleshed Japanese eggplant with no bruises or
blemishes. They should have a hefty feeling to them and not be too light,
nor should they bend too easily.

Grilled Japanese Eggplant

This is probably our favorite way to enjoy Japanese eggplant. We just did
this a few nights ago on our propane grill with wonderful results. Preheat
the grill on medium heat with the lid on. While preheating, prepare
eggplant. Cut off the stem end and slice eggplant in half lengthwise.
Brush all over with olive oil and sprinkle on seasoning of choice. Basil
is
very good, as is the Mrs. Dash Garlic and Herb blend (which we used the
other night); you can use whatever seasoning you like. You can also brush
the eggplants with an infused olive oil, such as basil or garlic. Also, if
you like balsamic vinegar, the eggplant is very nice when brushed with a
bit
of it. When the grill is ready, place the eggplant on the grill cut side
down, cover, and let grill for about 3-4 minutes but do not allow it to
get
black. Turn eggplant and grill another 2-3 minutes covered. Remove,
sprinkle with coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper, and serve. This
is fantastic when done the night before and served cold or at room
temperature on a picnic, especially if it had been brushed with the
balsamic
vinegar before grilling.

Here is another recipe that I found at www.recipesource.com, and tweaked
my own tastes, which I have used several times with good results. It is
very similar to what I have had at a couple of local Chinese restaurants.

Yang Chow Eggplant in Hot Spicy Garlic Sauce
for the original recipe, go to:
http://www.recipesource.com/ethnic/a...ic-sauce1.html

Vegetable oil (I like peanut oil instead)
1 lb. Japanese eggplant peeled and cut into 3x1-inch pieces (I don't
bother
with peeling them; they look prettier and they don't fall apart)
1/4 teaspoon minced garlic (I use about a tablespoon, but we *love*
garlic)
1/4 teaspoon minced ginger (I use about 1/2 tablespoon)
1/3 lb. ground pork or chicken
1/2 cup shredded bamboo shoots (I haven't added these as of yet)
2 tablespoons cooking wine (I use *real* chinese rice wine, shao xing
wine,
not the cooking wine because it has added salt)
1/3 cup chicken broth
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoons vinegar
chile oil (I prefer to toss in a couple of dried hot Asian peppers, broken
to release the seeds; keep them whole if you don't want it too spicy)
1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch mixed with 3 teaspoons water to make a paste
1 teaspoon minced green onions (I like to use 2-3 green onions, sliced on
the diagonal in 1/2-inch pieces)
5 drops sesame oil

Heat about 1/2 cup of oil in large skillet or wok over high heat (high
heat is best, but work quickly; it helps to have everything ready prior to
starting) . When very hot, add eggplant and fry for 2-3 minutes until
golden. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels. Wipe out wok with paper
towels.

Place wok back on the heat and add 1 teaspoon oil. When hot, add garlic
and ginger and stir-fry for about 20 seconds, not allowing it to get too
brown. Add pork or chicken, bamboo shoots, wine, chicken broth, soy sauce,
sugar, vinegar, and chile oil (or chile pods, if using), cooking and
stirring until sauce boils.

Add eggplant and toss to coat well. Bring to a boil and cook for about 30
seconds more. Add cornstarch/water mixture and stir until thick, about 30
seconds. Turn off heat. Add green onions and sesame oil. Serve with rice.
Serves 2 as a main dish.

--
Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia Hill at .
Archives: