Recipes (moderated) (rec.food.recipes) A moderated forum. The purpose of rec.food.recipes is for posting recipes and recipe requests only. It is for the *sharing* of recipes among the readers.

Member

Default Best omelette

I found this recipe whilst looking for new and interesting ways to cook an omelette (lifelong favourite of mine). I found this on the peppadew website, which I discovered thanks to Lottie73's recipes on this forum (thanks Lottie). I had a jar of peppadew peppers in the cupboard anyway, so thought 'why not'?
it really was delicious and I felt it would be wrong of me to keep it to myself, so here it is:

These are the ingredients for two:

4 rashers of bacon, diced
1 red onion, diced
1 red pepper, diced
125g of mushrooms, sliced
15 – 20 mild peppadews, diced
4 eggs
4 tbspns milk
grated cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to season

1. Prepare ingredients, then heat a little oil in a suitable flat pan and preheat the grill.

2. Beat the eggs together with the milk.

3. Cook the diced red onion and bacon until they start to brown; then add the Peppadews, red pepper, mushrooms and seasoning to taste, then cook for a few minutes longer.

4. Pour the egg and milk mixture over the cooked ingredients, then grate cheddar cheese over the top to cover the surface evenly.

5. Cook until the top surface starts to thicken. Now carefully place under a hot grill and cook until the top surface bubbles and starts to brown.

6. Allow to brown to suit your taste, then serve whilst hot.

What are your favourite omelettes? I'm always looking for new things to do with it.
Member

Great recipe, I'd never thought of putting Peppadew in an omelette. Here's my favourite omelette recipe:

4 eggs
1/4 cup milk
1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 dash herbs (basil, thyme, sage, rosemary, etc.)
1 pinch black pepper
1/4 cup approx. mushroom (best when marinated in red wine)
1/4 cup approx. cheese (feta great, avoid Swiss)
1/4 cup approx. vegetable (onion, pepper, broccoli, etc.)

Directions
1. Whisk eggs, add milk, soy sauce and lemon juice.

2. Heat 1/2 tbs olive oil and 1/2 tbs butter on medium heat.

3. Sauté herbs for about 1 minute.

4. Pour in egg, turn heat to high until egg starts to bubble, then return to medium heat.

5. After egg starts to gel, lift up edge of eggs and pour wet egg under, working around the edge.

6. When all egg liquid gone, put cheese, veggies on top, cover and put on low heat for about 2 minutes, then fold.

And there you have it