Recipes (moderated) (rec.food.recipes) A moderated forum. The purpose of rec.food.recipes is for posting recipes and recipe requests only. It is for the *sharing* of recipes among the readers.

Posted to rec.food.recipes

Default Chicken Under a Brick

Chicken Under a Brick

Serves 2 --but can be easily multiplied
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees

Advance prep: This dish calls from some equipment from the garden. You
actually do need a brick or flat rock that you have cleaned, dried and
covered thoroughly in aluminum foil. The weight on top of the chicken
while it's cooking is what makes the fabulous, crispy crust. For the
pan I use cast iron. You need something sturdy and non-stick that can
handle 400 degree heat in your oven. One option instead of a brick is
to use another, smaller cast iron pan and rest it on top of the
chicken instead of the brick. Most folks who have one cast iron pan
have a set of them so this is definitely an option.

I promise, this is worth it. This will be the crispiest, and moistest
chicken you've ever had.

2 organic chicken breast halves with bone in, skin on. (Traditional
Chicken Under a Brick recipes would call for half chickens; including
dark meat but for dietary purposes let's just focus on white meat)
Olive oil spray
1/2 tsp of chopped herbs. I just use the Italian blend from a jar
2 Tbsp of olive oil
Salt (preferably sea salt)

You'll need an oven-proof pan. I use my medium cast iron pan for this
dish. You need a pan that can go from stove top to oven and this one
is perfect. Don't try to use a non-stick pan. It won't work.

Wash and thoroughly dry your chicken pieces. Spray the skin side with
olive oil spray and then dust with your Italian herbs/spices or
chopped herbs. Now grate a generous amount of sea salt over the skin
side of the chicken. The secret to this dish is the crusty topping the
chicken will have and French Bistro cooking is not afraid of salt on
special occasions. You choose when to stop grating the salt. You know
your taste.

Heat the 2 Tbsp of olive oil in your pan on medium high. When it's hot
but not burning add the chicken, skin-side down. It will immediately
start to spit and bubble. Cover with your brick or another cast iron
pan. You need weight on the chicken. Turn the heat down to medium-low.
Cook on medium- low for 12 - 15 minutes. During this time the fat in
the chicken skin will break down and help form your crust. It will
give you a texture sort of like crispy-fried bacon. The fat on the oil
with the pressure is where the magic occurs.

After the time has passed carefully remove your weight and turn your
chicken over. Set the weight aside, safely, and transfer your chicken
to the oven. Bake at 375 for another 12 - 15 minutes. Check the
chicken to make sure it's done by putting a small slice into the
thickest part. The juices should be clear; not pink. The time needed
will depend on how large your chicken breast pieces are. I use large
ones for this simple dish.

I serve this with simple, fork-smashed, boiled red potatoes topped
with butter and zucchini cut into chunks and sauteed in a drizzle
Italian salad dressing and olive oil. Authentic, twice as fast as a
regular roasted chicken and crispy and juicy. Let me say it again.
Crispy and juicy. Serve immediately. If you wait you'll start to lose
the crispy.

--
Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia D. Hill at .
Archives:

Recipe: Chicken under a brick Anthony Ferrante[_2_] General Cooking 7 11-07-2008 06:21 AM
Lynne's Carrabba's Style Brick Roasted Chicken Lynne Sherlund-Dupuis Recipes (moderated) 0 27-07-2007 10:51 PM
BBQ Brick Dondie Barbecue 0 09-05-2007 06:08 AM
Rye Brick BestBread Sourdough 6 07-05-2006 09:53 PM