Recipes (moderated) (rec.food.recipes) A moderated forum. The purpose of rec.food.recipes is for posting recipes and recipe requests only. It is for the *sharing* of recipes among the readers.

Posted to rec.food.recipes

Default Oriental Seaweed Soup

Oriental Seaweed Soup

submitted by butterflydog

1 1/2 oz of dried wakame seaweed
1 carrot shredded or coarse grated
2 cloves garlic minced
1 shallot fine chopped
1 small piece of ginger fine grated
3 Tbsp oriental rice wine vinegar
3 Tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp sugar
1 Tbsp oriental sesame seed oil
4 dried shitake mushrooms, reconstituted
6 to 8 cups of water or vegetable broth
cooked oriental noodles of choice

I always pick up something new when I shop, so this soup recipe is a
combination of ingredients I researched when figuring out how to make a
oriental style seaweed soup. We loved it. Cut dried seaweed into
manageable pieces as they are quite long. Soak in water about 5 minutes or
softened. Rinse well and squeeze out excess moisture from seaweed. In a
soup pot place the ginger, carrots, garlic and shallot with vinegar, soy
sauce , sesame and sugar. Cook and stir over medium heat just to soften
ingredients. Add the water or broth, enough to cover by a few inches,add
reconstituted dried mushrooms and seaweed and bring to a boil and then
simmer about 10 minutes. Correct seasonings if desired. To serve: add
noodles to bowl and ladle in some of the seaweed soup.
No extra salt is added as the seaweed and soy sauce have enough to flavor
soup.
Yield : 6 to 8 servings.

Note: there are a variety of dried seaweeds but I read wakame is great for
making seaweed soup and seaweed salad

http://www.simpleinternet.com/recipes/
International Recipes OnLine
On-Line Culinary Discussion at Food.Chat:
http://www.simpleinternet.com/foodchat/

--
Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia D. Hill at .
http://www.cdkitchen.com/rfr/ http://recipes.alastra.com/

Seaweed in soup zxcvbob General Cooking 5 14-11-2011 06:39 PM
REC: Oriental Lentil Soup Victor Sack[_1_] General Cooking 0 19-09-2010 10:59 PM
REC - Kona McFarmer's Avocado Soup / Oriental Cole Slaw - RFC Cookbook page 37 Rusty[_1_] Recipes 0 09-03-2009 05:59 AM
Seaweed soup Quentin Grady Diabetic 6 14-01-2007 04:55 AM
Oriental Mushroom Soup Richard Lee Holbert Recipes (moderated) 0 18-01-2006 12:30 AM