Recipes (moderated) (rec.food.recipes) A moderated forum. The purpose of rec.food.recipes is for posting recipes and recipe requests only. It is for the *sharing* of recipes among the readers.

Posted to rec.food.recipes

Default Classic Tomato Mozzarella Stacks

Classic Tomato Mozzarella Stacks

By Cait Johnson, author of Witch in the Kitchen

When my sweetheart told me he lives on this luscious Italian dish all
summer, I had to try it. One stop at the Farmers Market and we had all we
needed: a ripe juicy tomato, some creamy mozzarella, and pungent fresh
basil. We made the stacks in no time flat and after one heavenly bite, I
knew why it is his favorite summer meal: Classic Tomato Mozzarella Stacks
are ridiculously simple to make, you dont have to heat up the kitchen to
make them, and they taste like the essence of summer. Divine!

Per person (just multiply to feed the hordes)

1 medium to large ripe tomato (depending on how hungry you are, and if
this is an appetizer or the main meal) cut into 1/4-inch-thick round
slices
2 to 3 thin slices fresh mozzarella cheese
1 fresh basil leaf
Drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil
A few grinds of black pepper and a sprinkling of sea salt to taste
1 slice of baguette (optional, but the bread makes a nice base to soak
up the tomato juices)

Alternate slices of tomato and cheese in a stack and top with a basil
leaf. (If you want to use bread, you can either lightly toast a slice or
leave it plain, and place the stack on top of it.) Drizzle with olive
oil, top with salt and pepper, and serve.

Buon appetito!

--
Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia D. Hill at .
Archives: