Recipes (moderated) (rec.food.recipes) A moderated forum. The purpose of rec.food.recipes is for posting recipes and recipe requests only. It is for the *sharing* of recipes among the readers.

Posted to rec.food.recipes

Default Mary Filmore's Sweet Potato Casserole

For the last few years I have been trying to make a sweet potato casserole
which is sweet enough for my family to like on Thanksgiving but low enough
in calories so I don't feel guilty eating it. Here is the casserole I
used this Thanksgiving

Mary Filmore's Sweet Potato Casserole

2 sweet potatoes
1/4` tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 cup crushed pineapple
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup butter, melted

Pierce the sweet potatoes and bake them at 350 until they are very tender.
Let cool. I usually do this the day before. Peel off the skin and put the
sweet potatoes through a potato ricer or mash them. Add the spices,
pineapple, brown sugar and butter and mix. Spoon in to a small casserole
dish . Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until heated through. This recipe
can be doubled and cooked in an 8 x 8" dish.

Variation 1: Place a layer of marshmallows over the top before baking.
Cook until marshmallows are melted and starting to brown.

Variation 2: Nut Topping

1 cup pecans, finely chopped
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup butter
3/4 cup flour
1 cup brown sugar

Cut butter into flour to make coarse crumbs. Stir in brown sugar,
cinnamon, and nuts. Sprinkle over top of casserole before baking.

--
Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia D. Hill at .
Archives: