Recipes (moderated) (rec.food.recipes) A moderated forum. The purpose of rec.food.recipes is for posting recipes and recipe requests only. It is for the *sharing* of recipes among the readers.

Posted to rec.food.recipes

Default Grilled Red Pepper Basil and Sausage "Grinder" (Sandwich)

Per the request for panini-type sandwiches; this one is pretty much
free-form but here's a favourite version:

Grilled Red Pepper Basil and Sausage "Grinder" (Sandwich)

2 - medium or hot Italian sausages
1 - loaf of panini bread
1 - small package of goat's cheese, softened
1 - handful fresh basil leaves
1 - red pepper
1/4 cup - butter
1 clove - garlic
1/4 tsp dried oregano

First, melt your butter over low heat, finely chop the garlic, and
combine the two along with the oregano.

Next, roast your red pepper. I have a gas cooktop so I simply put a
fresh red pepper directly on the lit burner and turn it frequently
until it's charred all over. I then place it in a paper bag for ten
minutes, after which time the charred skin peels easily and you're left
with a delicious roasted pepper! Then slice into wide strips, removing
the seeds and pith - be wary of the hot juices. Alternatively, the
grilling could take place on your barbeque or under the broiler but the
concept and finishing is the same.

Then, grill your sausages however you see fit and slice at an angle
into half-inch-thick strips and set aside.

Slice your panini in half length-wise to produce two long, flat pieces
and then grill or broil until toasted and then brush with the
garlic-oregano butter. Working quickly (you want the heat of the bread
to help you), spread one slice of bread with the softened goat's
cheese, add a layer of whole basil leaves, then the red pepper strips,
and then the sausage slices. Top with the other slice of bread and cut
in half to make two sandwiches.

Here's where we eat them after giving them a good squeeze to press
everything together, but you could stick them in a panini press for a
few minutes if you so desired. Boy, these are good!

--
Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia Hill at .
Archives: