Old 26-09-2014, 12:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Martha's "One-Pot" linguini with tomatoes and basil

On a recent episode of "Late Night With Seth Meyers" Martha Stewart
prepared "One-Pot" linguini with tomatoes and basil, which involved
making a quick sauce with cherry onion, garlic, cherry tomatoes, and
basil then adding several cups of water followed by raw linguini.
Simmer until done. The whole dish takes less than ten minutes.

I've posted a clip in alt.binaries.multimedia cooking:
Linkto-NZB: http://preview.tinyurl.com/ksv4q94

I once saw Emeril do so something like this with lasagna noodles many
years ago. The raw pasta is allegedly cooked in the sauce. I find this
technique hard to believe. Has anyone ever tried it? What's the result
like?

--
Bob
www.kanyak.com

--
Bob
www.kanyak.com

Old 26-09-2014, 12:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Opinicus" wrote in message
On a recent episode of "Late Night With Seth Meyers" Martha Stewart
prepared "One-Pot" linguini with tomatoes and basil, which involved
making a quick sauce with cherry onion, garlic, cherry tomatoes, and
basil then adding several cups of water followed by raw linguini.
Simmer until done. The whole dish takes less than ten minutes.

I've posted a clip in alt.binaries.multimedia cooking:
Linkto-NZB: http://preview.tinyurl.com/ksv4q94

I once saw Emeril do so something like this with lasagna noodles many
years ago. The raw pasta is allegedly cooked in the sauce. I find this
technique hard to believe. Has anyone ever tried it? What's the result
like?

I made spaghetti like that as a kid. The recipe was in the Betty Crocker
Boys and Girls Cookbook. It was okay but I prefer the sauce cooked
separately. And what is cherry onion? I tried to look it up but couldn't
find anything.

Old 26-09-2014, 01:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Sep 2014 04:42:12 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

what is cherry onion?

It's a typo; specifically one-half of a cherry tomato. ;-)

--
Bob
www.kanyak.com
Old 26-09-2014, 02:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Sep 2014 14:14:37 +0300, Opinicus
wrote:

On a recent episode of "Late Night With Seth Meyers" Martha Stewart
prepared "One-Pot" linguini with tomatoes and basil, which involved
making a quick sauce with cherry onion, garlic, cherry tomatoes, and
basil then adding several cups of water followed by raw linguini.
Simmer until done. The whole dish takes less than ten minutes.

I've posted a clip in alt.binaries.multimedia cooking:
Linkto-NZB: http://preview.tinyurl.com/ksv4q94

I once saw Emeril do so something like this with lasagna noodles many
years ago. The raw pasta is allegedly cooked in the sauce. I find this
technique hard to believe. Has anyone ever tried it? What's the result
like?

I'll guess a waste of food... how difficult is it to boil water and
cook pasta, and not like it requires much time either.
Old 26-09-2014, 04:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

On a recent episode of "Late Night With Seth Meyers" Martha Stewart
prepared "One-Pot" linguini with tomatoes and basil, which involved
making a quick sauce with cherry onion, garlic, cherry tomatoes, and
basil then adding several cups of water followed by raw linguini.
Simmer until done. The whole dish takes less than ten minutes.

I've posted a clip in alt.binaries.multimedia cooking:
Linkto-NZB: http://preview.tinyurl.com/ksv4q94

I once saw Emeril do so something like this with lasagna noodles many
years ago. The raw pasta is allegedly cooked in the sauce. I find this
technique hard to believe. Has anyone ever tried it? What's the result
like?

It sounds like a soupy mess to me. I've cooked cherry tomatoes and
they give off a lot of juice. It is hard to believe the amount of
water the recipe says to add would evaporate enough in 9 minutes
(which over cooks the pasta, IMO) to make an acceptable sauce.

Old 26-09-2014, 04:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

Not sure that I disagree, but I do think it depends upon the pasta.
Good quality pasta takes about 11 minutes.
Janet US
Old 26-09-2014, 04:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Sep 2014 09:37:56 -0600, Janet Bostwick
wrote:

Not sure that I disagree, but I do think it depends upon the pasta.
Good quality pasta takes about 11 minutes.

Barilla is good enough for me - I cook it the low number minus a
minute which means 8.

Old 26-09-2014, 05:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Opinicus wrote:

On a recent episode of "Late Night With Seth Meyers" Martha Stewart
prepared "One-Pot" linguini with tomatoes and basil, which involved
making a quick sauce with cherry onion, garlic, cherry tomatoes, and
basil then adding several cups of water followed by raw linguini.
Simmer until done. The whole dish takes less than ten minutes.

I've never heard of cherry onions. Just small ones, I guess.

I once saw Emeril do so something like this with lasagna noodles many
years ago. The raw pasta is allegedly cooked in the sauce. I find this
technique hard to believe. Has anyone ever tried it? What's the result
like?

I've tried it. The raw lasagna cooks fine as long as they are covered
in sauce and covered with foil. Normally, I'll cook them first, just
to be safe.

G.
Old 26-09-2014, 05:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/26/2014 6:14 AM, Opinicus wrote:
On a recent episode of "Late Night With Seth Meyers" Martha Stewart
prepared "One-Pot" linguini with tomatoes and basil, which involved
making a quick sauce with cherry onion, garlic, cherry tomatoes, and
basil then adding several cups of water followed by raw linguini.
Simmer until done. The whole dish takes less than ten minutes.

I've posted a clip in alt.binaries.multimedia cooking:

Linkto-NZB: http://preview.tinyurl.com/ksv4q94

I once saw Emeril do so something like this with lasagna noodles many
years ago. The raw pasta is allegedly cooked in the sauce. I find this
technique hard to believe. Has anyone ever tried it? What's the result
like?

It doesn't work well (IMHO) for thick noodles, like lasagna or giant
shells. But elbow macaroni, spaghetti, egg noodles, linguini, etc work
great cooked in the sauce *if* you can get the amount of water right and
you don't mind that the sauce gets a little starchy. (a little starch
in the sauce can be a good thing)

Bob
Old 26-09-2014, 06:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
[...]

It works really well for the Barilla Flat Lasagna Noodles to be cooked in
the sauce at it bakes. it always turns out great. I only use Barilla Pasta
so don't know about other brands.

Cheri

Old 26-09-2014, 07:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Sep 2014 10:25:37 -0700, "Cheri"
wrote:

It works really well for the Barilla Flat Lasagna Noodles to be cooked in
the sauce at it bakes. it always turns out great. I only use Barilla Pasta
so don't know about other brands.

Are you talking about the regular lasagna noodles or no boil? I use
no boil all the time and love it!

Old 26-09-2014, 08:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-09-26 2:05 PM, sf wrote:

It works really well for the Barilla Flat Lasagna Noodles to be cooked in
the sauce at it bakes. it always turns out great. I only use Barilla Pasta
so don't know about other brands.

Are you talking about the regular lasagna noodles or no boil? I use
no boil all the time and love it!

Is there really a difference between the regular and no cook lasagne
noodles. I only make it once every year or two but I stopped cooking
them long before the no cook noodles. The same goes for canelloni and
other stuffed pastas. Just add a little extra sauce and cook them a
little longer.

Old 26-09-2014, 08:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

what is cherry onion?

It's a typo; specifically one-half of a cherry tomato. ;-)

Ohhhhhh. Okay.

Old 26-09-2014, 08:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

On a recent episode of "Late Night With Seth Meyers" Martha Stewart
prepared "One-Pot" linguini with tomatoes and basil, which involved
making a quick sauce with cherry onion, garlic, cherry tomatoes, and
basil then adding several cups of water followed by raw linguini.
Simmer until done. The whole dish takes less than ten minutes.

I've posted a clip in alt.binaries.multimedia cooking:
Linkto-NZB: http://preview.tinyurl.com/ksv4q94

I once saw Emeril do so something like this with lasagna noodles many
years ago. The raw pasta is allegedly cooked in the sauce. I find this
technique hard to believe. Has anyone ever tried it? What's the result
like?

I'll guess a waste of food... how difficult is it to boil water and
cook pasta, and not like it requires much time either.

I could see it if you were in a motel and had only one burner to use or
something. But I only made it the one time when my mom said that it
wouldn't work. It worked but it obviously wasn't memorable as I never did
it again that way.

Old 26-09-2014, 08:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
[...]

I always add a little cooking water to my sauce. Seems to add a bit of
richness.