FoodBanter.com

-   Preserving (https://www.foodbanter.com/preserving/)
-   -   Light colored cherries for Brandied Cherries? (https://www.foodbanter.com/preserving/8848-light-colored-cherries-brandied.html)

DavidJ01 04-07-2004 06:53 PM

Light colored cherries for Brandied Cherries?

I've got about 40-50 lbs of Rainier cherries that I picked up for pennies on
the lb and now I'm trying to figure out what to do with them all. I
currently have aproximately 10 lbs finishing up in the dehydrator, and I'll
probably put another batch in later today. BTW, Rainier cherries are bright
yellow & red and are very sweet!

Anyway, I was wondering about the effect of using a light colored cherry for
making brandied cherries? My concern is that after pitting the cherries,
the flesh of the fruit starts to darken and may very well have an
undesireable appearance. Perhaps thats what BBB calls for dark cherries?

Could I possibly use whole cherries and just make sure I prick them?

Thanks

David...

DavidJ01 04-07-2004 07:20 PM

Light colored cherries for Brandied Cherries?

And as a follow up, as I've never canned cherries before, is *any* blemish
on the fruit undesireable? What happens if a cherry with a nick or a rough
patch on the skin ends up in a jar?

It's a lot easier with larger fruits such as peaches or plums to avoid that
possibility, but with cherries it seems like it may be more likely.

Thanks again,

David...

ellen wickberg 04-07-2004 08:40 PM

Light colored cherries for Brandied Cherries?

in article 2uXFc.7321$JR4.1872@attbi_s54, DavidJ01 at
wrote on 4/7/04 10:53 AM:

> I've got about 40-50 lbs of Rainier cherries that I picked up for pennies on
> the lb and now I'm trying to figure out what to do with them all. I
> currently have aproximately 10 lbs finishing up in the dehydrator, and I'll
> probably put another batch in later today. BTW, Rainier cherries are bright
> yellow & red and are very sweet!
>
> Anyway, I was wondering about the effect of using a light colored cherry for
> making brandied cherries? My concern is that after pitting the cherries,
> the flesh of the fruit starts to darken and may very well have an
> undesireable appearance. Perhaps thats what BBB calls for dark cherries?
>
> Could I possibly use whole cherries and just make sure I prick them?
>
> Thanks
>
> David...

Or maybe because most sweet cherries sold are bings?
Ellen

Pennyaline 05-07-2004 03:01 AM

Light colored cherries for Brandied Cherries?

"ellen wickberg" added:
> wrote on 4/7/04 10:53 AM:
> > Anyway, I was wondering about the effect of using a light colored cherry

for
> > making brandied cherries? My concern is that after pitting the

cherries,
> > the flesh of the fruit starts to darken and may very well have an
> > undesireable appearance. Perhaps thats what BBB calls for dark

cherries?

> > Could I possibly use whole cherries and just make sure I prick them?

> Or maybe because most sweet cherries sold are bings?

Your pitted light cherries will show less browning if you toss them with
lemon juice as you work. The same darkening happens to darks, but it's less
obvious.

I have just enough light and dark sweet cherries left over this year, not
enough for a jar of each but too much to ignore. They look striking together
now, so I'm mixing the two together for a few smaller jars of brandied
sweets. Hopefully, they'll look as pretty a year from now.

Blanche Nonken 05-07-2004 03:13 PM

"DavidJ01" > wrote:

> Anyway, I was wondering about the effect of using a light colored cherry for
> making brandied cherries? My concern is that after pitting the cherries,
> the flesh of the fruit starts to darken and may very well have an
> undesireable appearance. Perhaps thats what BBB calls for dark cherries?

I find myself wondering what colors I'd get if I used a cherry/blueberry
mix. :)

DavidJ01 05-07-2004 07:07 PM

Light colored cherries for Brandied Cherries?

I was thinking about using lemon, but wasn't quite sure how to use it with
such a small fruit. Maybe I'll mix up a batch of ascorbic acid, same as
what I usually do with peaches.

I bet your jars of mixed cherries look great !

David...

"Pennyaline" > wrote in
message ...

DavidJ01 05-07-2004 07:07 PM

Light colored cherries for Brandied Cherries?

Depends on the color of the cherries I guess.... You will try and let us
all know won't you?? :-)

DavidJ01 05-07-2004 07:07 PM

Light colored cherries for Brandied Cherries?

I guess that's a reasonable assumption.

Blanche Nonken 05-07-2004 10:25 PM

"DavidJ01" > wrote:

> Depends on the color of the cherries I guess.... You will try and let us
> all know won't you?? :-)

Sure, soon as I find light cherries I can afford. :-) Blueberries this
close to Hammonton, NJ are dirt cheap.