FoodBanter.com

-   Preserving (https://www.foodbanter.com/preserving/)
-   -   Downside of ambitious jamming (https://www.foodbanter.com/preserving/444078-downside-ambitious-jamming.html)

Gloria P 22-07-2018 06:41 PM

Downside of ambitious jamming

Yesterday I went to store my new batch of apricot jam in the basement
pantry. I found so many jars that should have been eaten, donated,or
thrown out, dating back to 2002. I cleaned out the shelf, finding 51
jars of jam, chutney, and pickles that were outdated, discolored, and
just plain inedible. DH helped me empty them out into gallon ziplock
bags which went into the trash. I suspect a lot of the apricot were from
years when our trees had a bumper crop.

The upside is that I now have 51 clean, empty jars to give away to the
neighborhood beekeeper and a boatload of rings. (We threw away the
lids, of course.) I still have cases of empty old pint and quart jars
from the "olden days" when we had a big garden and the energy to preserve.

gloria p

songbird 22-07-2018 08:26 PM

gloria p wrote:

> Yesterday I went to store my new batch of apricot jam in the basement
> pantry. I found so many jars that should have been eaten, donated,or
> thrown out, dating back to 2002. I cleaned out the shelf, finding 51
> jars of jam, chutney, and pickles that were outdated, discolored, and
> just plain inedible. DH helped me empty them out into gallon ziplock
> bags which went into the trash. I suspect a lot of the apricot were from
> years when our trees had a bumper crop.

:) i have a box of older jars of things i've not
eaten which will get fed back to the worms this winter
when i don't have as much natural forage for them
to munch on.

why not bury it in the garden?

> The upside is that I now have 51 clean, empty jars to give away to the
> neighborhood beekeeper and a boatload of rings. (We threw away the
> lids, of course.) I still have cases of empty old pint and quart jars
> from the "olden days" when we had a big garden and the energy to preserve.

we're running out of quart jars already and haven't
gotten started on tomatoes yet. a while ago we gave
away many cases of jars full of goodies and rarely
have any of those jars come back.

songbird

Melba's Jammin' 28-08-2018 02:31 AM

On 2018-07-22 17:41:45 +0000, gloria p said:

> Yesterday I went to store my new batch of apricot jam in the basement
> pantry. I found so many jars that should have been eaten, donated,or
> thrown out, dating back to 2002. I cleaned out the shelf, finding 51
> jars of jam, chutney, and pickles that were outdated, discolored, and
> just plain inedible. DH helped me empty them out into gallon ziplock
> bags which went into the trash. I suspect a lot of the apricot were
> from years when our trees had a bumper crop.
>
> The upside is that I now have 51 clean, empty jars to give away to the
> neighborhood beekeeper and a boatload of rings. (We threw away the
> lids, of course.) I still have cases of empty old pint and quart jars
> from the "olden days" when we had a big garden and the energy to
> preserve.
>
> gloria p

Too bad you didn't send me a jar when you made it.

Barb
www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013