FoodBanter.com

-   Preserving (https://www.foodbanter.com/preserving/)
-   -   second request sunflower seeds (https://www.foodbanter.com/preserving/133553-second-request-sunflower-seeds.html)

[email protected] 28-08-2007 03:48 AM

second request sunflower seeds

any input on harvesting and roasting or drying sunflower seeds?

Melba's Jammin' 28-08-2007 05:05 AM

second request sunflower seeds

In article .com>,
wrote:

> any input on harvesting and roasting or drying sunflower seeds?

I don't think I've ever seen the topic here before. I wonder if one of
the gardening groups (maybe rec.gardens.edible) would have info or a
better pointer.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - Fair baking

The Joneses[_1_] 28-08-2007 06:31 AM

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article .com>,
> wrote:
>
>> any input on harvesting and roasting or drying sunflower seeds?

> I don't think I've ever seen the topic here before. I wonder if one of
> the gardening groups (maybe rec.gardens.edible) would have info or a
> better pointer.
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ

We did, once a long while ago.
I seem to remember reading a story on peanuts where they were salted en
shell by soaking the dried peanuts in a brine. The brine got absorbed thru
the shell, and lo, salted in the shell. And roasted. or something, checking
with peanut site might help.
One year the ds & I harvested huge (bigger than a hubcap) sunflower heads
and hung them upside down in the attic to dry loosely wrapped in brown paper
bags. Some of the d__n seeds got all stuck in the flaps of the bags. Loose
is the key here and very dry as there is so much moisture in the heads they
will rot if not enuf dry air movement.
And long before harvest, cover the flowers with netting to keep the birds
off, but let the bugs in, which pollinizations and seeds.
There. Now go to bed.
Edrena