Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
oskar

Default Chochoyotes?

I have been looking for the meaning of this name. The "yote" on the end
means that it's a sort of humble "chocho". I think "chocha" means
something like "sweet cake" in Spanish and it had been used to describe
certain aspects of delectable senoritas, but that's as far as I should
go with that line of thought.

Maybe a "chochoyote" is a humble nixtamal cake? That's my best guess.

A chochoyote is a Mexican dumpling, best made of the pre-mixed masa
dough that you get in supermarkets. Add 4 tablespoons of oil or lard to
1-1/2 cups of the masa and roll
little balls about an inch in diameter. Traditionally, a little dent in
made in each chochoyote with the thumb, but I don't know why.

The chochoyote is then dropped in the pot where whatever you are
cooking is almost finished, just like dumplings.

(I remember the first time I tried to make chicken dumpling soup. I
also had my home made egg noodles cooking and, as I tried to get the
dumpling consistency just right, my noodles softened and fell apart).

I can't tell you exactly how long to cook the chochoyotes, either, but
it is something that will take experience, as vegetables may overcook
and soften or shimp may overcook and get tough. You might even consider
cooking your chochoyotes in hot water, then reserving them to drop into
your caldo or sopa or mole to avoid problems mentioned above.

I was reading about adding chochoyotes to a thin black bean soup, that
sounds easy to make. Boil the beans with typical chiles and spices,
cool them off and run them through a blender and then add enough of the
reserved liquid to get the desired consistency and cook the chochoyotes
right in the resulting sopa.

You could add various little surprises to the chochoyotes, like you
might conceal a bit of garlic or green onion in them, or you might add
certain spices to some of the chochoyotes and different spices to the
others to surprise dinner guests with the flavors.