Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
Rich McCormack

Default Sopa Seca (Dry Soup)

Mexican Rice is a sopa seca. Sopa seca can also be made using
pasta or pieces of corn tortilla. Here's one I make using
vermicelli...

Sopa Seca de Vermicelli

1 package (8 ounce) - vermicelli
1 tablespoon - vegetable oil
1/4 cup - chopped white onion
1/4 cup - chopped mild green chile
1 tablespoon - chopped hot red chile
1 - tomato, peeled and seeded
1 clove - minced garlic
2 cups - chicken broth
salt and pepper or other seasoning to taste.

Using a rolling pin, break vermicelli into short (3/4 to 1 inch)
pieces. Heat broth to boiling, remove from heat and set aside.
Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Sauté vermicelli in
hot oil until lightly browned. Push vermicelli to the side of
the pan and add garlic, onion and chiles. Continue sautéing
until veggies are limp. Add chopped tomatoes to pan and stir
to blend vermicelli and veggies. Add hot broth and seasoning
to taste. Cover pan and cook over very low heat until liquid
is almost absorbed. Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.

Rich

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
Jude

*Cover pan and cook over very low heat until liquid
is almost absorbed

About how long? It takes about 20 mins for white rice to absorb the
liquid, 45 for brown rice, would vermicelli be faster than both of
those?

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
Rich McCormack

Jude wrote:
> �Cover pan and cook over very low heat until liquid
> is almost absorbed
>
> About how long? It takes about 20 mins for white rice to absorb the
> liquid, 45 for brown rice, would vermicelli be faster than both of
> those?

When I cook white rice, it usually takes about 25 minutes. I set
a timer for 20 minutes as soon as I cover the pan and lower the
heat. When the timer goes off, I lift the lid for a quick peak.
Sometimes it's done, but most often it needs another 5 minutes.

My Sopa Seca de Vermicelli usually takes a little longer to
absorb the moisture, but I treat it the same as rice and check
at 20 minutes. Sometimes it needs another 5 minutes, sometimes
10 minutes. I think the age of ingredients plays a part here.
Fresher cooks quicker, older takes longer.

Rich