Berto

Default need to find goat/chivo

hey ppl ... i'm looking for a restaurant and or farm that serves/sells
goat/chivo ... having a bbq and need to find the main dish ... anyone
know of a place? let me know .. thnx

Wayne Lundberg

"Berto" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> hey ppl ... i'm looking for a restaurant and or farm that serves/sells
> goat/chivo ... having a bbq and need to find the main dish ... anyone
> know of a place? let me know .. thnx

Where are you Berto? Goat meat is really hard to find in the US. Plenty in
Monterrey, Mexico where it is a favorite and worth a trip there just for a
taco or two.

But you mention bbq and to me that is barbacoa, and that is made from lamb.
You can buy leg of lamb in almost any good supermarket.

So... what is the final dish you are looking for? An American bbq such as
spare ribs and a lot of gooey ketchup and honey sauce... a Monterrey Cabrito
al Horno and tacos... Barbacoa estilo Texcoco... or?

Wayne

Chuck Fiedler

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 22:52:31 GMT, "Wayne Lundberg"
> wrote:

>"Berto" > wrote in message
roups.com...
>> hey ppl ... i'm looking for a restaurant and or farm that serves/sells
>> goat/chivo ... having a bbq and need to find the main dish ... anyone
>> know of a place? let me know .. thnx
>>

>Where are you Berto? Goat meat is really hard to find in the US. Plenty in
>Monterrey, Mexico where it is a favorite and worth a trip there just for a
>taco or two.
>
>But you mention bbq and to me that is barbacoa, and that is made from lamb.
>You can buy leg of lamb in almost any good supermarket.
>
>So... what is the final dish you are looking for? An American bbq such as
>spare ribs and a lot of gooey ketchup and honey sauce... a Monterrey Cabrito
>al Horno and tacos... Barbacoa estilo Texcoco... or?
>
>Wayne

Well, I'm not an expert in Mexican food but there is a grocery place
on 75 near Spring Valley in Richardson that sells cabrito. I think
that means goat meat, no?

Chuck Fiedler

Wayne Lundberg

Yep.

"Chuck Fiedler" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 22:52:31 GMT, "Wayne Lundberg"
> > wrote:
>

> >"Berto" > wrote in message
> roups.com...
> >> hey ppl ... i'm looking for a restaurant and or farm that serves/sells
> >> goat/chivo ... having a bbq and need to find the main dish ... anyone
> >> know of a place? let me know .. thnx
> >>

> >Where are you Berto? Goat meat is really hard to find in the US. Plenty

in
> >Monterrey, Mexico where it is a favorite and worth a trip there just for

> >taco or two.
> >
> >But you mention bbq and to me that is barbacoa, and that is made from

lamb.
> >You can buy leg of lamb in almost any good supermarket.
> >
> >So... what is the final dish you are looking for? An American bbq such as
> >spare ribs and a lot of gooey ketchup and honey sauce... a Monterrey

Cabrito
> >al Horno and tacos... Barbacoa estilo Texcoco... or?
> >
> >Wayne
> >

> Well, I'm not an expert in Mexican food but there is a grocery place
> on 75 near Spring Valley in Richardson that sells cabrito. I think
> that means goat meat, no?
>
> Chuck Fiedler

Sonoran Dude

Berto wrote:
> hey ppl ... i'm looking for a restaurant and or farm that serves/sells
> goat/chivo ... having a bbq and need to find the main dish ... anyone
> know of a place? let me know .. thnx

The best goat is that you get right from the farmer. Try contacting your
local feed coop or livestock store to find if they know of anyone
raising goats in your area and contact them. The best goat is the grass
fed home grown variety. The farmers are very skilled at preparing the
goat themselves and the meat is less stressed when killed by those who
raised the goat rather than strangers or a packing plant.

kriyamanna

Sonoran Dude wrote:

> The best goat is that you get right from the farmer. Try contacting your
> local feed coop or livestock store to find if they know of anyone
> raising goats in your area and contact them. The best goat is the grass
> fed home grown variety. The farmers are very skilled at preparing the
> goat themselves and the meat is less stressed when killed by those who
> raised the goat rather than strangers or a packing plant.

In your experience, do a lot of Anglos raise and butcher goats for
meat?

I'm not trying to start a racist debate here or be judgemental or
pretend that Anglo culture is superior to Mexican culture, but it just
seems to me that only Mexicans would actually butcher a goat for the
meat. I've eaten birria made with goat before, in SoCal taquerias and I
like it if it's made with young goat or lamb. That birria I got at Los
Burritos in Hollywood was made from an old billygoat and was greasy and
gamey tasting, but the birria de chivo I ate in Ventura across from the
mission was good.

It seems to me like Anglos keep goats for pets for their children (or
for their own inner child) or for the milk, not for the meat. My mother
used to buy goat milk when I was a child and churn it for the goat
butter, but I never ate goat meat until I was middle aged.

My Mexican neighbors raise goats and they have "se vende chivos"
signs out along the highway. The population around here is probably
2/3rds Mexican. As I drive along the roads of the rural San Joaquin
valley, I can see many small herds of goats in pens on little
rancherias that have tumbledown barns and sheds. Goats are just
everywhere.

There are just too many to be pets. The Mexicans must be eating a lot
of goat around here. I shall have to explore some more taquerias to see
what's on the menu...

JB

I've not posted before but in certain parts of the midwest i.e.: northeast
Missouri, many Anglos raise meat goats now and sell them on hoof to mostly
the Mexican population which, from what I understand, many times butcher the
goats there on the property themselves. This sustainable niche market is
gaining popularity among the Anglo farmers trying to find ways to keep
ahead.
JB

"kriyamanna" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Sonoran Dude wrote:
>
> > The best goat is that you get right from the farmer. Try contacting your
> > local feed coop or livestock store to find if they know of anyone
> > raising goats in your area and contact them. The best goat is the grass
> > fed home grown variety. The farmers are very skilled at preparing the
> > goat themselves and the meat is less stressed when killed by those who
> > raised the goat rather than strangers or a packing plant.

> In your experience, do a lot of Anglos raise and butcher goats for
> meat?
>
> I'm not trying to start a racist debate here or be judgemental or
> pretend that Anglo culture is superior to Mexican culture, but it just
> seems to me that only Mexicans would actually butcher a goat for the
> meat. I've eaten birria made with goat before, in SoCal taquerias and I
> like it if it's made with young goat or lamb. That birria I got at Los
> Burritos in Hollywood was made from an old billygoat and was greasy and
> gamey tasting, but the birria de chivo I ate in Ventura across from the
> mission was good.
>
> It seems to me like Anglos keep goats for pets for their children (or
> for their own inner child) or for the milk, not for the meat. My mother
> used to buy goat milk when I was a child and churn it for the goat
> butter, but I never ate goat meat until I was middle aged.
>
> My Mexican neighbors raise goats and they have "se vende chivos"
> signs out along the highway. The population around here is probably
> 2/3rds Mexican. As I drive along the roads of the rural San Joaquin
> valley, I can see many small herds of goats in pens on little
> rancherias that have tumbledown barns and sheds. Goats are just
> everywhere.
>
> There are just too many to be pets. The Mexicans must be eating a lot
> of goat around here. I shall have to explore some more taquerias to see
> what's on the menu...

kriyamanna

JB wrote:
> I've not posted before but in certain parts of the midwest i.e.: northeast
> Missouri, many Anglos raise meat goats now and sell them on hoof to mostly
> the Mexican population which, from what I understand, many times butcher the
> goats there on the property themselves. This sustainable niche market is
> gaining popularity among the Anglo farmers trying to find ways to keep
> ahead.
> JB

What county in NE Missouri is that? My great great grandfather
pioneered Scotland county in 1842. I've never been back there,
though...

WALLACE sCOT

On 29 Aug 2005 10:51:22 -0700, "Berto" >
wrote:

>hey ppl ... i'm looking for a restaurant and or farm that serves/sells
>goat/chivo ... having a bbq and need to find the main dish ... anyone
>know of a place? let me know .. thnxTry looking in you backyard.look in the street we call it roadkill

I see anaother bigot has checked in changing topic lines instead of
body replies. SO, Wallace, got anything to contribute at all, or are
you just another lowlife bigot?

jim

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 19:11:59 GMT, WALLACE sCOT >
wrote:

>On 29 Aug 2005 10:51:22 -0700, "Berto" >
>wrote:
>
>>hey ppl ... i'm looking for a restaurant and or farm that serves/sells
>>goat/chivo ... having a bbq and need to find the main dish ... anyone
>>know of a place? let me know .. thnxTry looking in you backyard.look in the street we call it roadkill

JB

"kriyamanna" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> JB wrote:
> > I've not posted before but in certain parts of the midwest i.e.:

northeast
> > Missouri, many Anglos raise meat goats now and sell them on hoof to

mostly
> > the Mexican population which, from what I understand, many times butcher

the
> > goats there on the property themselves. This sustainable niche market is
> > gaining popularity among the Anglo farmers trying to find ways to keep
> > ahead.
> > JB

> What county in NE Missouri is that? My great great grandfather
> pioneered Scotland county in 1842. I've never been back there,
> though...

Scotland County, yes, I lived there for about 25 years, my family was from
there, originally. I've recently moved to central Iowa. It's a small world.

The meat goat niche market has been going on for at least 7 or 8 years in
Putnam, Schuyler, Scotland and many other counties in Missouri as well as
Iowa and gaining momentum to regions north. This maybe more widespread, this
is only the areas I know of for sure. Meat goats are becoming very popular
as is the meat sheep variety (can't recall the spelling right now). There
has been a section devoted to meat goats for many years in the Missouri
Livestock Symposium.
JB

Sonoran Dude

kriyamanna wrote:

> In your experience, do a lot of Anglos raise and butcher goats for
> meat?

Yes they do.
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 13:12:35 -0700, Sonoran Dude
> wrote:

>kriyamanna wrote:
>

>> In your experience, do a lot of Anglos raise and butcher goats for
>> meat?
>>

>Yes they do.

Here in Queens, NY you can buy goat meat in about every butcher shop
and chain grocery. Granted, living in the most ethnically diverse
county in the US has it's advantages
.. Are "Anglos" (such an offensive, racist term) eating more goat meat
than in the past is not really the question here. The real question
is whether or not Americans are eating more goat, and the answer is,
obviously, yes!
Mediterranean Americans eat a lot of goat and lamb, as do Central
and South Americans, Caribbean Islanders, and Asian Indians.
I've never really thought of goat as an "exotic" meat, even growing
up and living in the the Midwest. While my mother never prepared goat
for our family, it was readly available in Ohio and, even, in
predominantly "scandihoovian" Minnesota. It was just seen as an
inferior alternative to beef and pork--an "Anglo" bias, I suppose.
Personally, I love goat and never really thought about Americans
keeping goats as pets for their children. I am not disputing this
fact, but I'm just wondering where in the US that this is prevalent?
Don't get me wrong, I love playing with goats at the various
childrens' zoos here in NYC, But like the potbelly pig, I can't help
but rub their head and tell them, I just ate their cousins in a birani
or with swiss on rye.