krusty kritter

Default Caldo de Mariscos (Seafood Soup)---how long should the oysters be cooked?

Caldo de Mariscos (Seafood Soup)
Ingredientes: (Ingredients
1/2 libra de camarones (1/2 pound of shrimp)
3 docenas de ostiones sin conchas (3 dozen? oysters without shells)
1 libra de almejas en sus conchas (1 pound of clams in their shells)
2 filetes de pescado (2 fillets of fish)
1/2 cebolla (1/2 an onion)
5 dientes de ajo (5 cloves of garlic)
1 taza de vino blanco (1 cup of white wine)
1 hoja de laurel (1 bay leaf)
1 pizca de albaca seca (1 pinch of dried basil)
1/2 cucharadita de achiote (1/2 a teaspoon of achiote)
1 cucharada de concentrado de camaron (1 tablespoon of shrimp
concentrate)
1 pizca de sal (1 pinch of salt)

Prepararacion: (Preparation
En una cacerola con 6 taza de aqua cocine las almejas y el pescado con
el ajo, cebolla, laurel, el achiote disuelto con 3 cucharadas de vino.

(In a casserole filled with 6 cups of water, cook the clams, fish,
garlic, onion bay leaf, and the achiote dissolved in 3 tablespoons of
wine.)

Baje el fuego, agregue el vino y la sal y dejelo por 15 minutos.

(Lower the flame, add the wine and the salt and leave it for 15
minutes.)

Agreque los camarones, el concentrado de camaron, el albaca, y tengalos
a fuego lento por otros 10 minutos.

(Add the shrimp, the shrimp concentrate, the basil, and keep it over a
slow fire for 10 more minutes.)

It just doesn't say *when* to add the oysters in this recipe!
And, I'm wondering how to clean the oysters of the contents of their
digestive tracts. I've never eaten a *raw* oyster in my life, and don't
ever plan to, after having seen the brown stuff ooze out of fried
breaded oysters at a seafood buffet...

Hmmm. I can get abalone. Maybe abalone would be a good substitute for
the notorious oyster...