Chucky

Default Achiote?

What exactly is achiote other than ground annatto seed? I picked up a packet
at my Mexican meat market and while it seems to smell somewhat like American
barbecue sauce, when I used it it did not seem to taste the same.

I'm only familiar with annatto as a coloring ingredient in American food, I
can't recall seeing it being used for flavoring. I mixed my achiote with a
bit of vinegar and it stunk to high heaven, but the package also suggested
I mix it with olive oil. I live on the Mexican border and in my experience
I cannot remember eating Mexican food with achiote in it, so it might be
something more common in the interior.

Ernie

"Chucky" > wrote
> What exactly is achiote other than ground annatto seed? I picked up a

packet
> at my Mexican meat market and while it seems to smell somewhat like

American
> barbecue sauce, when I used it it did not seem to taste the same.

Achiote Yucatan-style paste made from ground annatto seeds, spices and lime
juice or vinegar.

Ernie

Ernie

"Chucky" > wrote
> What exactly is achiote other than ground annatto seed? I picked up a

packet
> at my Mexican meat market and while it seems to smell somewhat like

American
> barbecue sauce, when I used it it did not seem to taste the same.

Achiote Yucatan-style paste made from ground annatto seeds, spices and lime
juice or vinegar.

Ernie

Orchidguy

it is more commonly used in Cuban or Puerto Rican dishes, and used widley in
Carribbean cookery.
Bright Days & Good eats !
Todd
"Chucky" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> What exactly is achiote other than ground annatto seed? I picked up a

packet
> at my Mexican meat market and while it seems to smell somewhat like

American
> barbecue sauce, when I used it it did not seem to taste the same.
>
> I'm only familiar with annatto as a coloring ingredient in American food,

> can't recall seeing it being used for flavoring. I mixed my achiote with

> bit of vinegar and it stunk to high heaven, but the package also suggested
> I mix it with olive oil. I live on the Mexican border and in my

experience
> I cannot remember eating Mexican food with achiote in it, so it might be
> something more common in the interior.

Jim Lane

Orchidguy wrote:
> it is more commonly used in Cuban or Puerto Rican dishes, and used widley in
> Carribbean cookery.
> Bright Days & Good eats !
> Todd
> "Chucky" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
>
>>What exactly is achiote other than ground annatto seed? I picked up a

> packet
>
>>at my Mexican meat market and while it seems to smell somewhat like

> American
>
>>barbecue sauce, when I used it it did not seem to taste the same.
>>
>>I'm only familiar with annatto as a coloring ingredient in American food,

>>can't recall seeing it being used for flavoring. I mixed my achiote with

>>bit of vinegar and it stunk to high heaven, but the package also suggested
>>I mix it with olive oil. I live on the Mexican border and in my

> experience
>
>>I cannot remember eating Mexican food with achiote in it, so it might be
>>something more common in the interior.

Apologies for jumping in here, but if the OP lives in the San Diego or
Imperial Country-Baja region, you can find several restaurants that use
achiote. Don't know where his border region in, but it is not Baja.

Of course, he would have to go to those places that use schiote to find
it in use. Corner taco carts wouldn't suffice. ;->

jim

Achiote Paste Gunner Mexican Cooking 0 05-12-2006 04:17 AM
achiote: what does one do with it? [email protected] General Cooking 20 04-01-2004 11:30 PM