FoodBanter.com

-   Mexican Cooking (https://www.foodbanter.com/mexican-cooking/)
-   -   Instant masa (https://www.foodbanter.com/mexican-cooking/406830-instant-masa.html)

Gus 21-04-2011 04:24 PM

Instant masa

Does instant masa ever go stale? I have a bag of it that has been
stored in the back of my refrigerator for 4 or 5 years to keep insects
away from it...

Bob 22-04-2011 05:50 PM

Instant masa

gus > wrote in news:bedc8b53-781f-4b89-975b-
:

> Does instant masa ever go stale? I have a bag of it that has been
> stored in the back of my refrigerator for 4 or 5 years to keep insects
> away from it...

Yes it will, sooner or later. If anyone has a source for this in small
quantities, I'd like to know.

David Harmon[_2_] 28-04-2011 12:53 AM

Instant masa

On Fri, 22 Apr 2011 16:50:57 +0000 (UTC) in
alt.food.mexican-cooking, Bob
> wrote,
>gus > wrote in news:bedc8b53-781f-4b89-975b-
:

>> Does instant masa ever go stale? I have a bag of it that has been
>> stored in the back of my refrigerator for 4 or 5 years to keep insects
>> away from it...
>>

>Yes it will, sooner or later. If anyone has a source for this in small
>quantities, I'd like to know.

Grocery stores around here routinely sell just a couple of dollars
worth in a paper bag.

David Harmon[_2_] 15-05-2011 12:26 AM

Instant masa

On Sun, 1 May 2011 15:13:24 -0500 in alt.food.mexican-cooking,
Sqwertz > wrote,
>On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 16:53:59 -0700, David Harmon wrote:
>
>> Grocery stores around here routinely sell just a couple of dollars
>> worth in a paper bag.

>I only pay $2.50 for a 5lb bag factory-sealed bag of MaSeCa. It looks
>like 5lbs - Same size as a bag of flour (or slightly bigger now that
>flour is probably only 4lbs).

Yes, that's what I'm saying. If it's $2.50, quit whining about
needing a smaller size.

OTOH, I saw a 2 lb bag at 99 cents only.

Gus 15-05-2011 02:28 AM

Instant masa

On May 14, 4:26*pm, David Harmon > wrote:

> OTOH, I saw a 2 lb bag at 99 cents only.

Yes, I saw it at my local 99 cents store a few days ago.

sf[_9_] 28-05-2011 12:44 AM

Instant masa

On Sat, 14 May 2011 16:26:35 -0700, David Harmon >
wrote:

> OTOH, I saw a 2 lb bag at 99 cents only.

Good to know. Can't say I've ever seen the small bags, but I don't
look very hard either because I can buy masa already made.

joanwilkins 14-02-2012 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gus (Post 1607021)
Does instant masa ever go stale? I have a bag of it that has been
stored in the back of my refrigerator for 4 or 5 years to keep insects
away from it...

I would pitch the bag and get another bag. You might find yourself dissapointed with the texture and flavor. The masa is cheap and a new bag could be frozen rather than refridgerated with the portion you don't use.

Skagway34 19-03-2012 05:08 PM

Truly incredible and great sharing it is that i ever found
very best work done it is

Skagway

rowleytyrese 02-12-2012 05:40 AM

After many years of relying on this spiritual guide, I began integrating the method into psychotherapy sessions.compact kitchens

Gorio 03-12-2012 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rowleytyrese (Post 1791267)
After many years of relying on this spiritual guide, I began integrating the method into psychotherapy sessions.compact kitchens

I've had some go bad. I pinky tasted /smelled it and it was not good. Just test it with the nose/mouth test and you're good. Trust you.