Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
Gus Gus is offline

Default Instant masa

Does instant masa ever go stale? I have a bag of it that has been
stored in the back of my refrigerator for 4 or 5 years to keep insects
away from it...
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Fri, 22 Apr 2011 16:50:57 +0000 (UTC) in
alt.food.mexican-cooking, Bob
:

>> Does instant masa ever go stale? I have a bag of it that has been
>> stored in the back of my refrigerator for 4 or 5 years to keep insects
>> away from it...
>>

>Yes it will, sooner or later. If anyone has a source for this in small
>quantities, I'd like to know.

Grocery stores around here routinely sell just a couple of dollars
worth in a paper bag.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Sun, 1 May 2011 15:13:24 -0500 in alt.food.mexican-cooking,
Sqwertz > wrote,
>On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 16:53:59 -0700, David Harmon wrote:
>
>> Grocery stores around here routinely sell just a couple of dollars
>> worth in a paper bag.

>I only pay $2.50 for a 5lb bag factory-sealed bag of MaSeCa. It looks
>like 5lbs - Same size as a bag of flour (or slightly bigger now that
>flour is probably only 4lbs).

Yes, that's what I'm saying. If it's $2.50, quit whining about
needing a smaller size.

OTOH, I saw a 2 lb bag at 99 cents only.
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
Gus Gus is offline

On May 14, 4:26*pm, David Harmon > wrote:

> OTOH, I saw a 2 lb bag at 99 cents only.

Yes, I saw it at my local 99 cents store a few days ago.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Sat, 14 May 2011 16:26:35 -0700, David Harmon >
wrote:

> OTOH, I saw a 2 lb bag at 99 cents only.

Good to know. Can't say I've ever seen the small bags, but I don't
look very hard either because I can buy masa already made.

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus View Post
Does instant masa ever go stale? I have a bag of it that has been
stored in the back of my refrigerator for 4 or 5 years to keep insects
away from it...
I would pitch the bag and get another bag. You might find yourself dissapointed with the texture and flavor. The masa is cheap and a new bag could be frozen rather than refridgerated with the portion you don't use.
Member

Truly incredible and great sharing it is that i ever found
very best work done it is

____________
Skagway
Banned

After many years of relying on this spiritual guide, I began integrating the method into psychotherapy sessions.compact kitchens
Senior Member

Location: WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowleytyrese View Post
After many years of relying on this spiritual guide, I began integrating the method into psychotherapy sessions.compact kitchens
I've had some go bad. I pinky tasted /smelled it and it was not good. Just test it with the nose/mouth test and you're good. Trust you.

Masa Harina! news General Cooking 16 12-07-2010 02:42 AM
corn masa mix? kuvasz guy General Cooking 4 27-11-2006 03:48 AM
Instant E.coli and Instant Salmonella Tests [email protected] General Cooking 1 26-09-2006 05:12 AM
Masa for Tamales Ernie Mexican Cooking 0 15-01-2005 06:43 PM
help with "masa" Frogleg Mexican Cooking 3 14-10-2003 04:03 PM