V Crenshaw

Default Need roasted salsa recipe

I live in Texas. I love the salsa's around here that are roasted. Problem
is, I'm not
sure what is exactly roasted, the tomato or peppers or both. There are 2
are places
where I love their salsa, Uncle Julios & Taco Cabanna

Any Texans out there that know what I'm talking about and how to make a
similar
salsa?

David Wright

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 15:52:35 GMT, "V Crenshaw" >
wrote:

>I live in Texas. I love the salsa's around here that are roasted. Problem
>is, I'm not
>sure what is exactly roasted, the tomato or peppers or both. There are 2
>are places
>where I love their salsa, Uncle Julios & Taco Cabanna
>
>Any Texans out there that know what I'm talking about and how to make a
>similar
>salsa?

I usually make my salsas with tomatoes (or tomatillos), serrano
chiles, onions, garlic, cilantro, lime juice and salt. I like to toast
one or more of the tomatoes, chiles, onions and garlic in a dry, cast
iron skillet. Sometimes it's just the tomatoes, sometimes it's all
four. Try different combinations to see what you like -- that's part
of the fun!

David
Cindy Fuller

In article >,
"V Crenshaw" > wrote:

> I live in Texas. I love the salsa's around here that are roasted. Problem
> is, I'm not
> sure what is exactly roasted, the tomato or peppers or both. There are 2
> are places
> where I love their salsa, Uncle Julios & Taco Cabanna
>
> Any Texans out there that know what I'm talking about and how to make a
> similar
> salsa?

I've broiled or grilled the tomatoes, onions, garlic, and peppers for
these salsas.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Thurman

V Crenshaw wrote:
> I live in Texas. I love the salsa's around here that are roasted. Problem
> is, I'm not sure what is exactly roasted, the tomato or peppers or both. There are 2
> are places where I love their salsa, Uncle Julios & Taco Cabanna
>
> Any Texans out there that know what I'm talking about and how to make a
> similar salsa?

Rick Bayless roasts both.

You didn't say where you are located. Seven Salsas Restaurant in
Coppell TX serves a different salsa each day of the week; temperature-
one hot, one cold.

Very good with their signature dish of chipotle chicken breasts.

Thurman

V Crenshaw wrote:
> I live in Texas. I love the salsa's around here that are roasted. Problem
> is, I'm not sure what is exactly roasted, the tomato or peppers or both. There are 2
> are places where I love their salsa, Uncle Julios & Taco Cabanna
>
> Any Texans out there that know what I'm talking about and how to make a
> similar salsa?

Rick Bayless roasts both.

You didn't say where you are located. Seven Salsas Restaurant in
Coppell TX serves a different salsa each day of the week; temperature-
one hot, one cold.

Very good with their signature dish of chipotle chicken breasts.

news.verizon.net

"David Wright" > wrote in message

Try different combinations to see what you like -- that's part
> of the fun!
>
> David

Excellent advice. Keep trying new ideas until you find a method you like.
I roast my chilies and my garlic, but not my tomatoes and tomatillas since I
feel it makes the skin tough to eat. That's just me. One thing to keep in
mind is that when you roast some ingredients, you have to be cautious about
how long you keep them in the fridge after you mix the salsa together.

Rich

news.verizon.net

"David Wright" > wrote in message

Try different combinations to see what you like -- that's part
> of the fun!
>
> David

Excellent advice. Keep trying new ideas until you find a method you like.
I roast my chilies and my garlic, but not my tomatoes and tomatillas since I
feel it makes the skin tough to eat. That's just me. One thing to keep in
mind is that when you roast some ingredients, you have to be cautious about
how long you keep them in the fridge after you mix the salsa together.

Rich

Roasted Salsa

Ingredients
Plum Tomatoes 1.5 pounds
Jalapeno Chillies 3 stems removed (or for mellow 2 Pablanos,
for hotter 3 Serranos, for volcanic 2-3 orange/red habaneros)
White Onion 1/2 small, sliced 1/4 inch thick
Garlic 4 cloves, peeled
Cilantro 1/3 cup, chopped and loosely packed
Water 1/4 cup
Salt 1 tsp or more
Cider Vinegar 1.5 tsp

Line a baking sheet with foil and put the tomatoes and peppers on it.
Heat the broiler, set the pan 4 inches under it.
Heat the Tomatoes and peppers for 6-7 minutes until darly roasted and
blacked in spots,
the skins will split and curl.
Turn them all over with tongs and cook 6-7 minutes more.
Set aside to cool.
Set the oven to 425 DegrF
On a similar baking sheet put the onions (split into rings) and garlic.
Cook about 15 minutes turning once or twice. The onions should be browned
and wilted, char'd in spots. The garlic will be soft and browned.
Cool onions to room temp which happens pretty fast.
Put onions, garlic and peppers in food processor and finely shop. You will
probably have to scrap down a few times. Pour off into a bowl.
Put tomatoes and juice from baking sheet into food processor and 1/3 of
cilantro. Coarsely puree. Pour into bowl with peppers and onions.
Add enough water to give salsa an easily spoonable consistency.
Stir in cilantro.
Season with salt and vinegar
Cooling it down: If to hot!
Add another 1.5 pounds of tomatoes. To be sure it's mild cut the peppers in
half and clean.
Use whole Poblano peppers instead which are generally much milder but
flavorful. After cooking these remove the skins, pull the stem and the seed
pod and cut them open and rinse out the remaining seeds. The seeds have the
heat.
_________________

Fire-Roasted Salsa

1 large onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
5 cloves garlic, peeled and cut in half
4 jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced (use rubber gloves when handling hot
peppers)
8 plum tomatoes, cored and cut in half
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 long green chiles, seeded and diced
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 small bunch fresh cilantro, finely chopped
1 cup water
Salt and pepper, to taste
In a large, heavy heatproof pan, spread the onion, garlic, jalapenos, and
tomatoes. Drizzle olive oil over all. Place pan under the broiler and cook
until tomatoes are charred, about 8 minutes. Remove and cool to room
temperature.
Place mixture in a blender or food processor. Add lime juice, cumin,
cilantro and water. Process until well combined and slightly chunky, but not
completely liquified. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
________________

Roasted Tomatillo Salsa

Ingredients

8 oz (2.5 cups) tomatillos, husked, rinsed, and dried
2 tsp plus 1 tbs olive oil
1 poblano chile or other mild green chile such as Anaheim, rosted, peeled,
seeded, and finely chopped
1 tbs finely chopped red onion
2 tbs fresh cilantro
1 tsp chopped gralic
1 tbs fresh lime juice
1 tsp seeded and minced canned chipoltle in adobo, or more to taste

Instructions

Preheat the oven to 400F. Toss the tomatillos with 2 teaspoons of olive oil
in a saute pan or small metal pan (like a pie plate) and place in the oven,
tossing them around a couple time until softened and lightly browned here
and there, about 10 minutes. Allow the tomatillos to cool slightly, then put
them on a cutting board and chop coarsely. put the tomatillos in a sieve and
drain off all the liquid. Combine the drained tomatillos, roasted chile,
oions, cilantro, garlic lime juice, chipotle and the remaining 1 tsb olive
oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. It's best to use the salsa the
same day, but it can be kept, covered, in the refrigerator for 2 days.
____________________

Enjoy:
Chef R. W. Miller
Marriott Resorts & Hotels
"V Crenshaw" > wrote in message
om...
> [...]

1 tsp chopped gralic
1 tbs fresh lime juice
1 tsp seeded and minced canned chipoltle in adobo, or more to taste

Instructions

Preheat the oven to 400F. Toss the tomatillos with 2 teaspoons of olive oil
in a saute pan or small metal pan (like a pie plate) and place in the oven,
tossing them around a couple time until softened and lightly browned here
and there, about 10 minutes. Allow the tomatillos to cool slightly, then put
them on a cutting board and chop coarsely. put the tomatillos in a sieve and
drain off all the liquid. Combine the drained tomatillos, roasted chile,
oions, cilantro, garlic lime juice, chipotle and the remaining 1 tsb olive
oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. It's best to use the salsa the
same day, but it can be kept, covered, in the refrigerator for 2 days.

"V Crenshaw" > wrote in message
om...
> [...]

1 tsp chopped gralic
1 tbs fresh lime juice
1 tsp seeded and minced canned chipoltle in adobo, or more to taste

Instructions

Preheat the oven to 400F. Toss the tomatillos with 2 teaspoons of olive oil
in a saute pan or small metal pan (like a pie plate) and place in the oven,
tossing them around a couple time until softened and lightly browned here
and there, about 10 minutes. Allow the tomatillos to cool slightly, then put
them on a cutting board and chop coarsely. put the tomatillos in a sieve and
drain off all the liquid. Combine the drained tomatillos, roasted chile,
oions, cilantro, garlic lime juice, chipotle and the remaining 1 tsb olive
oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. It's best to use the salsa the
same day, but it can be kept, covered, in the refrigerator for 2 days.

"V Crenshaw" > wrote in message
om...
> I live in Texas. I love the salsa's around here that are roasted.

Problem
> is, I'm not
> sure what is exactly roasted, the tomato or peppers or both. There are 2
> are places
> where I love their salsa, Uncle Julios & Taco Cabanna
>
> Any Texans out there that know what I'm talking about and how to make a
> similar
> salsa?

Orchidguy

Roasted Tomatoe Salsa
4 tomatoes roasted
3 cloves fresh garlic or you can roast it as well (minced)
2 roasted jalapeno peppers
1 medium onion , minced
1-2 pobalano or other chili peppers roasted
salt and pepper to taste
juice of 1/2 a lime
1 tsp of olive oil
1 small handfull of chopped cilantro
To roast tomatoe I usually do it on the grill , but you can do it in the
broiler too if you don't want the salsa too aweful hot , remove seeds from
the peppers and choppe them up along with the tomatoes...
mix everything togather, let it set in the refrigerator for a few hours
before serving to meld the flavors, and if you wish you could use tomotillos
in place of tomatoes
Enjoy !
Todd

"news.verizon.net" > wrote in message

> "David Wright" > wrote in message
>
> Try different combinations to see what you like -- that's part
> > of the fun!
> >
> > David

> Excellent advice. Keep trying new ideas until you find a method you like.
> I roast my chilies and my garlic, but not my tomatoes and tomatillas since

> feel it makes the skin tough to eat. That's just me. One thing to keep

in
> mind is that when you roast some ingredients, you have to be cautious

about
> how long you keep them in the fridge after you mix the salsa together.
>
> Rich

Orchidguy

Roasted Tomatoe Salsa
4 tomatoes roasted
3 cloves fresh garlic or you can roast it as well (minced)
2 roasted jalapeno peppers
1 medium onion , minced
1-2 pobalano or other chili peppers roasted
salt and pepper to taste
juice of 1/2 a lime
1 tsp of olive oil
1 small handfull of chopped cilantro
To roast tomatoe I usually do it on the grill , but you can do it in the
broiler too if you don't want the salsa too aweful hot , remove seeds from
the peppers and choppe them up along with the tomatoes...
mix everything togather, let it set in the refrigerator for a few hours
before serving to meld the flavors, and if you wish you could use tomotillos
in place of tomatoes
Enjoy !
Todd

"news.verizon.net" > wrote in message

> "David Wright" > wrote in message
>
> Try different combinations to see what you like -- that's part
> > of the fun!
> >
> > David

> Excellent advice. Keep trying new ideas until you find a method you like.
> I roast my chilies and my garlic, but not my tomatoes and tomatillas since

> feel it makes the skin tough to eat. That's just me. One thing to keep

in
> mind is that when you roast some ingredients, you have to be cautious

about
> how long you keep them in the fridge after you mix the salsa together.
>
> Rich

BigDog

V Crenshaw wrote in alt.food.mexican-cooking

> I live in Texas. I love the salsa's around here that are roasted.
> Problem is, I'm not
> sure what is exactly roasted, the tomato or peppers or both. There
> are 2 are places
> where I love their salsa, Uncle Julios & Taco Cabanna
>
> Any Texans out there that know what I'm talking about and how to make
> a similar
> salsa?

I like to smoke my tomatos or tomatillos,peppers, onion
and garlic on the smoker (grill) for about an hour.
Really adds a nice flavor.

--
BigDog
To E-mail me, you know what to do.