hb3

Default Flan Question & Request

My sister was recently at an office potluck, and someone brought flan. My
sister described it to me as "the best" flan she ever had. She said it was
"very thick n' creamy", but as far as getting any recipe, the lady had told
her it had to be made with grated orange peels and three milks in it. She
said one of the "milks" is evaporated milk (yessss, the one in that cow
can). That's it???

Hmmm...would someone help out with a reasonable facsimile of a recipe?

Yes...it is flan...not Tres Leches (although it does use three kinds of
milk in the recipe.)

Thanks experts for your help.

regards, hb3
Jay P Francis

Sounds like way too much work to me, and that thing about the three milks adds
a complexity to the recipe that really shouldn't be there. I would recommend,
instead of messing with this, that you pick up a copy of the The Best Recipe
cookbook and follow their creme brulee / flan recipe to the letter. They
tested, as you'll see, all sorts of permutations and variations before
concluding on the method that seemed to produce the best results.
Irma

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 16:35:01 GMT, hb3 > wrote:

>My sister was recently at an office potluck, and someone brought flan. My
>sister described it to me as "the best" flan she ever had. She said it was
>"very thick n' creamy", but as far as getting any recipe, the lady had told
>her it had to be made with grated orange peels and three milks in it. She
>said one of the "milks" is evaporated milk (yessss, the one in that cow
>can). That's it???
>
>Hmmm...would someone help out with a reasonable facsimile of a recipe?
>
>Yes...it is flan...not Tres Leches (although it does use three kinds of
>milk in the recipe.)
>
>Thanks experts for your help.
>
>regards, hb3

Flan

1 can evaporated milk
1 can sweet and condensed milk
150 grm. Philadelphia cheese
4 or 5 eggs.

These are the ingredients of the flan I prepare. I think the cheese is
the ingredient that makes your flan creamy. From this base you can
make your flan the flavor you want, coffee, orange, etc...

I hope it helps you.

Irma.
Blooming Rose News

Try this recipe. It is very creamy, very easy, and very reliable. I find it
better than the more elaborate and tricky recipes.

Easy Cream Cheese Flan

4 LARGE EGGS

1 CAN(S) EVAPORATED MILK

1 CAN(S) EAGLE BRAND MILK

2 TSP VANILLA

6 OZ CREAM CHEESE

1/2 CUP BROWN SUGAR

WATER

PLACE 2 INCHES OF WATER IN A 9 X 13 GLASS PAN AND PLACE IN PREHEATED 350'
OVEN.

PLACE ALL INGREDIENTS EXCEPT BROWN SUGAR AND WATER IN BLENDER AND BLEND
UNTIL SMOOTH AND CREAMY.

PLACE BROWN SUGAR IN BOWL AND ADD JUST ENOUGH WATER TO MAKE A THICK SYRUP.

VERY CAREFULLY POUR THE CREAM CHEESE MIXTURE INTO THE BOWL, BEING SURE NOT
TO MIX THE BROWN SUGAR SYRUP AND THE CHEESE MIXTURE (THE BROWN SUGAR SYRUP
SHOULD STAY ON THE BOTTOM OF THE BOWL AND THE CHEESE MIXTURE SHOULD FLOAT ON
TOP OF IT)

CAREFULLY PLACE BOWL OF CHEESE MIXTURE INTO THE CENTER OF THE HOT WATER PAN
IN OVEN AND BAKE FOR 1 HOUR UNTIL JUST FIRM.

REMOVE FROM OVEN AND ALLOW TO COOL 1 HR. RUN SHARP KNIFE AROUND THE TOP EDGE
OF THE FLAN JUST TO LOOSEN THE CHEESE FROM THE SIDE OF THE BOWL.

PLACE A PLATE UPSIDE DOWN, ON TOP OF THE BOWL AND QUICKLY INVERT BOTH,
ALLOWING FLAN AND CARMEL MIXTURE TO DROP ONTO THE PLATE.

PLACE IN FRIDGE AND ALLOW TO COOL THREE HOURS. CUT INTO SERVING PIECES AND
SERVE, SPOONING CARMEL SAUCE OVER SLICES.

Caramelized Flan Jane[_1_] Recipes (moderated) 0 04-08-2007 06:05 PM
Flan - how much would you expect to pay Dee Dee General Cooking 43 19-04-2007 02:37 PM
Coconut Flan Duckie ® Recipes 0 08-08-2005 01:53 PM
cider question and apple/squash request kalanamak General Cooking 3 03-11-2003 02:46 AM
Recipe Req...Flan Jacquie Mexican Cooking 19 09-10-2003 07:23 PM