Old 09-11-2003, 06:05 PM
Linda

Default Another version

Excellent, I love this website, thanks so much!
Linda

"Rolly" wrote in message
om...
Here is a Doña Martha picture story of a slightly different version of
this salsa which she calls Salsa Casera.

http://rollybrook.com/liquid_fire.htm

Old 09-11-2003, 06:33 PM
Frogleg

On 9 Nov 2003 08:34:50 -0800, (Rolly) wrote:

Froglag asked:

What's that arrangement the tomato is toasting on?

It's a little grill that was made for her by her husband who has a
welding shop. It's very handy for toasting little things.

And this is laid on top of a gas stove burner?

I'm going to stop whining about "not enough counter space," too.

It looks as if Doña Martha cooks about 10 times better in a quarter
the space.

Actually she has quite a lot of counter space in this kitchen. There
are some wider views of it in the Tamales story. This is not her
kitchen; it belongs to one of her grand daughters. She is living here
temporarily while her house is being remodeled.

Yep. Looked at the tamale page, and it appears the kitchen 'growed.'
Thanks for the detail.

There is a picture
story of the remodeling unfolding on my website. There is also a
long, detailed picture story of the building of the house she is
living/cooking in now. Do a little exploring of the website; you may
be surprised by what you find at
www.Rollybrook.com

Just spent a fair amount of time on it this morning. :-) In addition
to my first visit. remodel -- it's probably too late (and too
early) now, but for us non-construction types, Before and After pics
of rooms and features would be awfully interesting. Particularly in
the kitchen. I much regret that I have only incidental glimpses in
photos of my kitchen before re-do (4.5' of counter space in pink
Formica.)
Old 10-11-2003, 12:31 AM
David Wright

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 20:23:08 -0600, "William Jennings"
wrote:

I'll be in Austin next week a few days and would have no problem meeting
him for lunch if he likes. I would not make hasty
judgements about folks on a ng,. some might really surprise you.

From what he wrote before, doc, I believe he lives in Waco.

David
Old 10-11-2003, 02:17 AM
William Jennings

wrote:

I'll be in Austin next week a few days and would have no problem

meeting
him for lunch if he likes. I would not make hasty
judgements about folks on a ng,. some might really surprise you.

From what he wrote before, doc, I believe he lives in Waco.

David

We call that Wacky Waco which I avoid if I can. Sometimes drive though
on the way to Dallas but I seldom
stop unless I need gas..

doc

Old 10-11-2003, 03:59 AM
David Wright

On Sun, 9 Nov 2003 19:17:02 -0600, "William Jennings"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I'll be in Austin next week a few days and would have no problem

meeting
him for lunch if he likes. I would not make hasty
judgements about folks on a ng,. some might really surprise you.

From what he wrote before, doc, I believe he lives in Waco.

David

We call that Wacky Waco which I avoid if I can. Sometimes drive though
on the way to Dallas but I seldom
stop unless I need gas..

doc

Speaking of hasty judgments, maybe "Wacky Waco" is one, especially if
you know nothing about the town.

David

Old 10-11-2003, 06:44 AM
Jim Lane

wrote:

. ..

wrote:

I'll be in Austin next week a few days and would have no problem

meeting

him for lunch if he likes. I would not make hasty
judgements about folks on a ng,. some might really surprise you.

From what he wrote before, doc, I believe he lives in Waco.

David

We call that Wacky Waco which I avoid if I can. Sometimes drive though
on the way to Dallas but I seldom
stop unless I need gas..

doc

Speaking of hasty judgments, maybe "Wacky Waco" is one, especially if
you know nothing about the town.

David

And you do? Or are you making a judgement yourself? Double standard in
play, I'm betting.

jim

Old 10-11-2003, 07:48 AM
William Jennings

"David Wright" wrote in message

We call that Wacky Waco which I avoid if I can. Sometimes drive

though
on the way to Dallas but I seldom
stop unless I need gas..

doc

Speaking of hasty judgments, maybe "Wacky Waco" is one, especially if
you know nothing about the town.

David

I was in Waco that Sunday morning February, 1993 the Branch Davidian's
were raided. David Koresh was on tv for the three days I was there and
long after. I was conducting research which required reviewing chain of
title and deed information for the past 50 years. Waco was an important
town in the days of the cattle drives because of the suspension bridge
built across the Brazos River in 1870. It was an important town during
the Western movement and part of the Chisolm Trail.

In 1992 I was involved in large land acquisitions and environmental
accessments for the superconducting super collider. Much time was spent
in Waco and the surrounding towns over eight months.

More recently we have learned of the Baylor Un.Dean/ basketball coach
affair and the Carlton Dotson case involving the murder of Patrick
Dennehy.

If I'm hungry in Waco I'll drive to the near by small town of West and
have an official Texas state Czech kolache. There is great BBQ in
Taylor, Texas or I can drive on in to Austin and enjoy good Vietnamese,
Thai or Salvadorian food. A Salvadorian sampler plate, with a "tamale",
"quesadillas", fried plantains and fried yucca. They serve a very good
sopao de Mariscos an allow you to have a semi-decent meal without seeing
people in bad K-Mart designer polyester fashions.

Nuff' said on hasty judgements? Would you like to discuss "Keep Austin
Weird"? http://www.keepaustinweird.com/

I find when the going gets weird the weird turn Pro.

doc

Old 10-11-2003, 09:00 AM
William Jennings

"Jim Lane" wrote in message

Speaking of hasty judgments, maybe "Wacky Waco" is one, especially

if
you know nothing about the town.

David

And you do? Or are you making a judgement yourself? Double standard in
play, I'm betting.

So far as I gather David is in San Antonio where I also keep a place,
although I'm seldom there. He might have grown up in or around Waco and
taken offense at my off hand remark. He assumed I may not have known
anything about Waco. In fact when I returned from Southeast Asia in 68'
I was in the hospitial at Fort Hood for six months, went to Waco esp. to
eat
at a fair German place in the old Holiday Inn.

I had a contractor who was from Waco working on a couple places I have
in the Hill Country. He did dirt work, put in driveways, cleared areas
along the river and yacked a lot. That fellow had a lot of stories
about growing up in Waco.

I travel a great deal both in an out of Texas. The Central region,
Coastal planes and Boarder-Plex from Brownsville to
Del Rio I know particularly well. What's happened to small towns and
regional food is depressing. Fast food has replaced
many of the local eateries, Wal-Mart has run many small town stores out
of business and the kids leave town after high school.
In some towns a prison facility or grocery store may be the largest
employer, this is sad. Of one thing you can be sure, doc can always
find the nearest good place to eat be it a taco shack. I might go on to
say; an a few places, in this ever increasing cut'-n-dried state, where
a little magic exist.

What the Hell, I just wanted to know a little more about lingua. :-)

doc

Old 10-11-2003, 03:50 PM
David Wright

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 00:48:00 -0600, "William Jennings"
wrote:

"David Wright" wrote in message
.. .

We call that Wacky Waco which I avoid if I can. Sometimes drive

though
on the way to Dallas but I seldom
stop unless I need gas..

doc

Speaking of hasty judgments, maybe "Wacky Waco" is one, especially if
you know nothing about the town.

David

I was in Waco that Sunday morning February, 1993 the Branch Davidian's
were raided.

[snip good story]
Nuff' said on hasty judgements? Would you like to discuss "Keep Austin
Weird"? http://www.keepaustinweird.com/

I find when the going gets weird the weird turn Pro.

doc

I haven't spent significant time in Waco since the early '60s, but
quite a bit from the late '30s up till then. Waco was where my dad was
raised and where my grandparents and assorted great aunts and uncles
lived. So, Whacky wasn't my image of Waco, but I can see how it might
be if I'd had your experiences there.

There was another person around here who knew Waco from years back and
even knew the one-block-long street my family's house was on. We had a
brief OT discussion about Waco around the time A1 made his appearance,
which is why I remember where he said he lives.

David, an old pro!
Old 10-11-2003, 05:23 PM
William Jennings

"David Wright" wrote in message

I haven't spent significant time in Waco since the early '60s, but
quite a bit from the late '30s up till then. Waco was where my dad was
raised and where my grandparents and assorted great aunts and uncles
lived. So, Whacky wasn't my image of Waco, but I can see how it might
be if I'd had your experiences there.

There was another person around here who knew Waco from years back and
even knew the one-block-long street my family's house was on. We had a
brief OT discussion about Waco around the time A1 made his appearance,
which is why I remember where he said he lives.

David, an old pro!

The late 30's? Hey, did you ever meet Bonnie & Clyde? I heard some of
those old stories around Italy and Ennis county.

David, Waco wasn't wacky back then. You must also know the spooky, VA
Mental Hospital is there now.

We had a
brief OT discussion about Waco around the time A1 made his appearance,
which is why I remember where he said he lives.

I guess that explains it... A1 resides in Semi-Happy Wacky.

It works for me, does it work for you? :-)

doc

Old 10-11-2003, 05:59 PM
David Wright

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 10:23:48 -0600, "William Jennings"
wrote:

"David Wright" wrote in message
.. .

I haven't spent significant time in Waco since the early '60s, but
quite a bit from the late '30s up till then. Waco was where my dad was
raised and where my grandparents and assorted great aunts and uncles
lived. So, Whacky wasn't my image of Waco, but I can see how it might
be if I'd had your experiences there.

There was another person around here who knew Waco from years back and
even knew the one-block-long street my family's house was on. We had a
brief OT discussion about Waco around the time A1 made his appearance,
which is why I remember where he said he lives.

David, an old pro!

The late 30's? Hey, did you ever meet Bonnie & Clyde? I heard some of
those old stories around Italy and Ennis county.

Hey, I was born in '37 ... I said I was there, but didn't claim to
remember anything about those visits. I do have a few family photos
from then (Yes, other people, there were cameras in those days!), but
that's about it.

David, Waco wasn't wacky back then. You must also know the spooky, VA
Mental Hospital is there now.

We had a
brief OT discussion about Waco around the time A1 made his appearance,
which is why I remember where he said he lives.

I guess that explains it... A1 resides in Semi-Happy Wacky.

It works for me, does it work for you? :-)

Absolutely! ;-)

doc

David
Old 10-11-2003, 08:21 PM
The Ranger

David Wright admitted in message
[snip]
Hey, I was born in '37 ... I said I was there, but didn't claim to
remember anything about those visits. I do have a few family
photos from then (Yes, other people, there were cameras in
those days!), but that's about it.

[snip]

Fifteen years earlier and they'd've still been using natural pigments and
cave walls along some river to record those times. (Or so my Father-unit
once stated to my gasp at learning when he was born.) EG

ObMexicanFood: From

http://www.thatsmyhome.com/texmex/main/verdes.htm

ENCHILADAS VERDES

INGREDIENTS:
Green Tomatillo Sauce:
1 pound tomatillos
2 garlic cloves
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 onion, finely chopped
Salt, to taste Pepper, to taste
Enchiladas:
Vegetable oil for frying
12 corn tortillas, homemade or store bought
2 cups shredded cooked chicken or shredded queso (Chihuahua or
Monterey Jack cheese)
3/4 cup sour cream
Chopped cilantro

METHOD:
To make the sauce, soak the tomatillos in a bowl of cold water to loosen the
husks. Drain, and peel off the husks.

Place the tomatillos and garlic in a saucepan with water to cover the
tomatillos halfway and bring to a boil. Boil until the tomatillos are soft,
about 10 minutes. Drain. Transfer the tomatillos and garlic to a blender and
blend to a purée.

Heat the 2 tablespoons of oil in a medium-size saucepan over medium heat.
Add the puréed tomatillos and the onion, and season with salt and pepper.
Bring to a simmer, and simmer for about 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, pour 1/2 inch of vegetable oil into a large skillet and heat over
medium-high heat until hot. One at a time, dip the tortillas into the hot
oil to soften them, just a few seconds. Transfer to paper towels to drain.

Fill the center of the tortillas with the chicken or cheese and fold over
the sides. Place seam side down on individual plates and top with the warm
sauce. Garnish with the sour cream and cilantro.

Note: You can also use the sauce as a dipping sauce for tortilla chips or as
a salsa in other dishes: Add 1 serrano chile, finely chopped, and 1 to 2
tablespoons chopped cilantro, to taste.

Makes 6 servings.

Source: 'Los Barrios Family Cookbook

The Ranger
[NOTES: I would substitute Canola Oil for the Vegetable Oil and Creme
Fraiche for the Sour Cream.]

Old 10-11-2003, 08:31 PM
William Jennings

"The Ranger" wrote in message

snip

Fifteen years earlier and they'd've still been using natural pigments

and
cave walls along some river to record those times. (Or so my

Father-unit
once stated to my gasp at learning when he was born.) EG

Oh, so you are from Paint Rock, Texas?

Enchiladas recipe looks good.

Thanks,

doc

Old 11-11-2003, 08:29 PM
William Barfieldsr

"William Jennings" wrote in message =
=20
"David Wright" wrote in message
=20
(snip)=20

David, Waco wasn't wacky back then. You must also know the spooky, =

VA
Mental Hospital is there now.

The VA hospital has been there may years and the government is trying to =
close it down, but the veterans are fighting to keep it open.=20
I think you will find the biggest mental hospital in Austin. I think it =
is terrible that you would make fun of people that can't help =
themselves. Do you have jokes about terminally ill cancer patients? How =
about the babies in the burn units.

--=20
William Barfieldsr

Old 11-11-2003, 11:59 PM
Jim Lane

William Barfieldsr wrote:

"William Jennings" wrote in message ...

"David Wright" wrote in message
. ..

(snip)

David, Waco wasn't wacky back then. You must also know the spooky, VA
Mental Hospital is there now.

The VA hospital has been there may years and the government is trying to close it down, but the veterans are fighting to keep it open.
I think you will find the biggest mental hospital in Austin. I think it is terrible that you would make fun of people that can't help themselves. Do you have jokes about terminally ill cancer patients? How about the babies in the burn units.

Nah, just mentalmidgets like you, A-1.

jim