Rolly

Default Another version

Here is a Doņa Martha picture story of a slightly different version of
this salsa which she calls Salsa Casera.

http://rollybrook.com/liquid_fire.htm
David Wright

On 8 Nov 2003 13:07:02 -0800, (Rolly) wrote:

>Here is a Doņa Martha picture story of a slightly different version of
>this salsa which she calls Salsa Casera.

http://rollybrook.com/liquid_fire.htm

Thanks, again, Rolly, and again thanks to Doņa Marta.

What a difference between your contributions and the "contributions"
of that group I think of as "A1 and the Clones."

David
William Jennings

"David Wright" > wrote in message
> On 8 Nov 2003 13:07:02 -0800, (Rolly) wrote:
>
> >Here is a Doņa Martha picture story of a slightly different version

of
> >this salsa which she calls Salsa Casera.

http://rollybrook.com/liquid_fire.htm

> Thanks, again, Rolly, and again thanks to Doņa Marta.
>
> What a difference between your contributions and the "contributions"
> of that group I think of as "A1 and the Clones."
>
> David

Amen.

doc

Jim Lane

William Jennings wrote:
> "David Wright" > wrote in message
>
>>On 8 Nov 2003 13:07:02 -0800, (Rolly) wrote:
>>

>>>Here is a Doņa Martha picture story of a slightly different version

> of
>
>>>this salsa which she calls Salsa Casera.

http://rollybrook.com/liquid_fire.htm

>>Thanks, again, Rolly, and again thanks to Doņa Marta.
>>
>>What a difference between your contributions and the "contributions"
>>of that group I think of as "A1 and the Clones."
>>
>>David

> Amen.
>
> doc

Just pity the poor fool (A-1 and his sock puppets), he needs
professional help and evidently cannot afford it on his retirtement pay.
Hmmm, maybe that's why he is retired, eh?

jim

William Jennings

"Jim Lane" > wrote in message

> Just pity the poor fool (A-1 and his sock puppets), he needs
> professional help and evidently cannot afford it on his retirtement

pay.
> Hmmm, maybe that's why he is retired, eh?

I don't know about all that. You would think there would be very little
in the way of direct intent or ulterior motives
in mexican recipes. Some folks are just more creative than others, then
again, A1 may just like ****ing a few people off.

I'll be in Austin next week a few days and would have no problem meeting
him for lunch if he likes. I would not make hasty
judgements about folks on a ng,. some might really surprise you.

I once knew the most uncouth, mannerless wealthly old coot. Fact is I
got to know him very well. I asked him one time just why he was so
offensive. He quitely explained he was old, fat and ulgy, the only
thing most people wanted from him was money or "something". This was
the truth an I understood it. He said he did it "because he could"....
an I understand that.

A1 cheerfully refunds our money.:-)

Hasty Judgements, A True Story

An excellent example of why judging solely by what's on the surface is a
bad thing

A lady in a faded gingham dress and her husband, dressed in a homespun

threadbare suit, stepped off the train in Boston, and walked timidly

to the Harvard campus and without an appointment into the president's

outer office. The secretary could tell in a moment that such

backwoods, country hicks had no business at Harvard and probably

didn't even deserve to be in Cambridge. She frowned.

"We want to see the president", the man said softly.

"He'll be busy all day," the secretary snapped.

"We'll wait," the lady replied.

For hours, the secretary ignored them, hoping that the couple would

finally become discouraged and go away. They didn't. And the

secretary grew frustrated and finally decided to disturb the

president, even though it was a chore she always regretted to do.

"Maybe if they just see you for a few minutes, they'll leave," she

told him. And he sighed in exasperation and nodded. Someone of his

importance obviously didn't have the time to spend with them, but he

detested gingham dresses and homespun suits cluttering up his outer

office.

The president, stern-faced with dignity, strutted toward the couple.

The lady told him, "We had a son that attended Harvard for one year.

He loved Harvard. He was happy here. But about a year ago, he was

accidentally killed, and my husband and I would like to erect a

memorial to him, somewhere on campus".

The president wasn't touched - he was shocked.

"Madam," he said gruffy, "We can't put up a statue for every person

who attended Harvard and died. If we did, this place would look like

a cemetery".

"Oh, no," the lady explained quickly, "We don't want to erect a

statue. We thought we would like to give a building to Harvard.

The president rolled his eyes. He glanced at the gingham dress and

homespun suit, then exclaimed, "A building! Do you have any earthly

idea how much a building costs? We have over seven and a half million

dollars in the physical plant at Harvard."

For a moment the lady was silent. The president was pleased. He

could get rid of them now.

And the lady turned to her husband and said quietly, "Is that all it

costs to start a University? Why don't we just start our own?" Her

husband nodded. The president's face wilted in confusion and

bewilderment.

And Mr. and Mrs. Leland Stanford walked away, traveling to Palo Alto,

California where they established the University that bears their

name, a memorial to a son that Harvard no longer cared about.

doc

Jim Lane

William Jennings wrote:

> "Jim Lane" > wrote in message
>
>>Just pity the poor fool (A-1 and his sock puppets), he needs
>>professional help and evidently cannot afford it on his retirtement

> pay.
>
>>Hmmm, maybe that's why he is retired, eh?

> I don't know about all that. You would think there would be very little
> in the way of direct intent or ulterior motives
> in mexican recipes. Some folks are just more creative than others, then
> again, A1 may just like ****ing a few people off.
>

> I'll be in Austin next week a few days and would have no problem meeting
> him for lunch if he likes. I would not make hasty
> judgements about folks on a ng,. some might really surprise you.
>
> I once knew the most uncouth, mannerless wealthly old coot. Fact is I
> got to know him very well. I asked him one time just why he was so
> offensive. He quitely explained he was old, fat and ulgy, the only
> thing most people wanted from him was money or "something". This was
> the truth an I understood it. He said he did it "because he could"....
> an I understand that.
>
> A1 cheerfully refunds our money.:-)
>
> Hasty Judgements, A True Story
>
> An excellent example of why judging solely by what's on the surface is a
> bad thing

snip

I doubt the comparison would come close - having heard the Stanford
story years ago, I'm still betting A-1 needs a shrink for his multiple
personalities and sock puppets.

jim

William Jennings

"Jim Lane" > wrote in message

I'm still betting A-1 needs a shrink for his multiple personalities and
sock puppets.

Hell Jim, I need a shrink and so does my dog.... but we aren't going.
:-)

doc

Jim Lane

William Jennings wrote:
> "Jim Lane" > wrote in message
>
> I'm still betting A-1 needs a shrink for his multiple personalities and
> sock puppets.
>
> Hell Jim, I need a shrink and so does my dog.... but we aren't going.
> :-)
>
> doc

You have multiple personalitites and sock puppets too?

;-)

jim

William Jennings

"Jim Lane" > wrote in message

> > Hell Jim, I need a shrink and so does my dog.... but we aren't

going.
> > :-)

> You have multiple personalitites and sock puppets too?
>
> ;-)

I call them facets of personality and we all seem to get along,.....
more could emerge. I make fritters out of sock puppets. It's a joy in
the kitchen, drowning them in green sauce and hearing them scream, after
a brief resuscitation I deep fry them in grape seed oil........

Presto Chango, crispy Taco's Marionetas del Calcetín con queso.....

This is not real Tex-Mex but an old Texican recipe I share with you.
Beware, cats love them also which may call for Taco de Gato. My cat who
(yes, "who") is, I am convinced, telepathic, is already eyeing me rather
suspiciously as I write this.
Come to think of it, there is a recipe for cat-sup, but it takes rather
a lot of tomatoes. My copy of Larousse suggests that cats be left for
emergencies, such as siege and famine. They claim that the creatures
are tough and taste like duck. Oh well,
something for a genteel enlightened table conversation another time.

I hope I have answered your questions.

What a way to start the week...... an indication of things to come? A1,
interested in lunch Tuesday?

doc

Charles Gifford

"Rolly" > wrote in message
om...
> Here is a Doņa Martha picture story of a slightly different version of
> this salsa which she calls Salsa Casera.
>
> http://rollybrook.com/liquid_fire.htm

Thank you Rolly! I really appreciate your posts with Dona Martha's recipes
and the pictures. This is a little too fiery for me but I might make it for
friends!

Thanks again!

Charlie

Frogleg

On 8 Nov 2003 13:07:02 -0800, (Rolly) wrote:

>Here is a Doņa Martha picture story of a slightly different version of
>this salsa which she calls Salsa Casera.

http://rollybrook.com/liquid_fire.htm

Looks well worth trying. The pictures are *so* helpful.

What's that arrangement the tomato is toasting on? Maybe you could do
a photo essay on 'kitchen equipment'? I recognize the m'wave and
blender. :-) I'm going to stop whining about "not enough counter
space," too. It looks as if Doņa Martha cooks about 10 times better in
a quarter the space.
Thurman

Rolly wrote:

> Here is a Doņa Martha picture story of a slightly different version of
> this salsa which she calls Salsa Casera.
>
> http://rollybrook.com/liquid_fire.htm

Very nice photography.

Could you provide some information about the grill used for
roasting the tomato? I've not seen anything like that.

Rolly

My original post was intended to be a reply to Rich McCormack's post
"Salsa de chile arbor." I guess I pushed the wrong button, and it
became a separate post. Oh, the wonders of the computer gods!

Froglag asked:

> What's that arrangement the tomato is toasting on?

It's a little grill that was made for her by her husband who has a
welding shop. It's very handy for toasting little things.

> I'm going to stop whining about "not enough counter space," too.

It looks as if Doņa Martha cooks about 10 times better in a quarter
the space.

Actually she has quite a lot of counter space in this kitchen. There
are some wider views of it in the Tamales story. This is not her
kitchen; it belongs to one of her grand daughters. She is living here
temporarily while her house is being remodeled. There is a picture
story of the remodeling unfolding on my website. There is also a
long, detailed picture story of the building of the house she is
living/cooking in now. Do a little exploring of the website; you may
be surprised by what you find at www.Rollybrook.com
Shelora

rolly,
How many chiles de arbol does the recipe call for?
Thanks and the photos are great.

Frogleg > wrote in message >. ..
> On 8 Nov 2003 13:07:02 -0800, (Rolly) wrote:
>
> >Here is a Doņa Martha picture story of a slightly different version of
> >this salsa which she calls Salsa Casera.

http://rollybrook.com/liquid_fire.htm

> Looks well worth trying. The pictures are *so* helpful.
>
> What's that arrangement the tomato is toasting on? Maybe you could do
> a photo essay on 'kitchen equipment'? I recognize the m'wave and
> blender. :-) I'm going to stop whining about "not enough counter
> space," too. It looks as if Doņa Martha cooks about 10 times better in
> a quarter the space.

Linda

"David Wright" > wrote in message
> On 8 Nov 2003 13:07:02 -0800, (Rolly) wrote:
>
> >Here is a Doņa Martha picture story of a slightly different version of
> >this salsa which she calls Salsa Casera.

http://rollybrook.com/liquid_fire.htm

> Thanks, again, Rolly, and again thanks to Doņa Marta.
>
> What a difference between your contributions and the "contributions"
> of that group I think of as "A1 and the Clones."
>
> David

Ditto

Linda

Linda

Excellent, I love this website, thanks so much!
Linda

"Rolly" > wrote in message
om...
> Here is a Doņa Martha picture story of a slightly different version of
> this salsa which she calls Salsa Casera.
>
> http://rollybrook.com/liquid_fire.htm

Frogleg

On 9 Nov 2003 08:34:50 -0800, (Rolly) wrote:

>Froglag asked:
>
>> What's that arrangement the tomato is toasting on?

>It's a little grill that was made for her by her husband who has a
>welding shop. It's very handy for toasting little things.

And this is laid on top of a gas stove burner?

>> I'm going to stop whining about "not enough counter space," too.

>It looks as if Doņa Martha cooks about 10 times better in a quarter
>the space.
>
>Actually she has quite a lot of counter space in this kitchen. There
>are some wider views of it in the Tamales story. This is not her
>kitchen; it belongs to one of her grand daughters. She is living here
>temporarily while her house is being remodeled.

Yep. Looked at the tamale page, and it appears the kitchen 'growed.'
Thanks for the detail.

>There is a picture
>story of the remodeling unfolding on my website. There is also a
>long, detailed picture story of the building of the house she is
>living/cooking in now. Do a little exploring of the website; you may
>be surprised by what you find at
www.Rollybrook.com

Just spent a fair amount of time on it this morning. :-) In addition
to my first visit. remodel -- it's probably too late (and too
early) now, but for us non-construction types, Before and After pics
of rooms and features would be awfully interesting. Particularly in
the kitchen. I much regret that I have only incidental glimpses in
photos of my kitchen before re-do (4.5' of counter space in pink
Formica.)
David Wright

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 20:23:08 -0600, "William Jennings"
> wrote:

>I'll be in Austin next week a few days and would have no problem meeting
>him for lunch if he likes. I would not make hasty
>judgements about folks on a ng,. some might really surprise you.

From what he wrote before, doc, I believe he lives in Waco.

David
William Jennings

"David Wright" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 20:23:08 -0600, "William Jennings"
> > wrote:
>

> >I'll be in Austin next week a few days and would have no problem

meeting
> >him for lunch if he likes. I would not make hasty
> >judgements about folks on a ng,. some might really surprise you.

> From what he wrote before, doc, I believe he lives in Waco.
>
> David

We call that Wacky Waco which I avoid if I can. Sometimes drive though
on the way to Dallas but I seldom
stop unless I need gas..

doc

David Wright

On Sun, 9 Nov 2003 19:17:02 -0600, "William Jennings"
> wrote:

>"David Wright" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 20:23:08 -0600, "William Jennings"
>> > wrote:
>>

>> >I'll be in Austin next week a few days and would have no problem

>meeting
>> >him for lunch if he likes. I would not make hasty
>> >judgements about folks on a ng,. some might really surprise you.

>> From what he wrote before, doc, I believe he lives in Waco.
>>
>> David

>We call that Wacky Waco which I avoid if I can. Sometimes drive though
>on the way to Dallas but I seldom
>stop unless I need gas..
>
>doc

Speaking of hasty judgments, maybe "Wacky Waco" is one, especially if
you know nothing about the town.

David

Jim Lane

David Wright wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Nov 2003 19:17:02 -0600, "William Jennings"
> > wrote:
>

>>"David Wright" > wrote in message
. ..

>>meeting

>>>From what he wrote before, doc, I believe he lives in Waco.
>>>
>>>David

>>We call that Wacky Waco which I avoid if I can. Sometimes drive though
>>on the way to Dallas but I seldom
>>stop unless I need gas..
>>
>>doc

> Speaking of hasty judgments, maybe "Wacky Waco" is one, especially if
> you know nothing about the town.
>
> David

And you do? Or are you making a judgement yourself? Double standard in
play, I'm betting.

jim

William Jennings

"David Wright" > wrote in message

> >We call that Wacky Waco which I avoid if I can. Sometimes drive

though
> >on the way to Dallas but I seldom
> >stop unless I need gas..
> >
> >doc

> Speaking of hasty judgments, maybe "Wacky Waco" is one, especially if
> you know nothing about the town.
>
> David

I was in Waco that Sunday morning February, 1993 the Branch Davidian's
were raided. David Koresh was on tv for the three days I was there and
long after. I was conducting research which required reviewing chain of
title and deed information for the past 50 years. Waco was an important
town in the days of the cattle drives because of the suspension bridge
built across the Brazos River in 1870. It was an important town during
the Western movement and part of the Chisolm Trail.

In 1992 I was involved in large land acquisitions and environmental
accessments for the superconducting super collider. Much time was spent
in Waco and the surrounding towns over eight months.

More recently we have learned of the Baylor Un.Dean/ basketball coach
affair and the Carlton Dotson case involving the murder of Patrick
Dennehy.

If I'm hungry in Waco I'll drive to the near by small town of West and
have an official Texas state Czech kolache. There is great BBQ in
Taylor, Texas or I can drive on in to Austin and enjoy good Vietnamese,
Thai or Salvadorian food. A Salvadorian sampler plate, with a "tamale",
"quesadillas", fried plantains and fried yucca. They serve a very good
sopao de Mariscos an allow you to have a semi-decent meal without seeing
people in bad K-Mart designer polyester fashions.

Nuff' said on hasty judgements? Would you like to discuss "Keep Austin
Weird"? http://www.keepaustinweird.com/

I find when the going gets weird the weird turn Pro.

doc

William Jennings

"Jim Lane" > wrote in message

> > Speaking of hasty judgments, maybe "Wacky Waco" is one, especially

if
> > you know nothing about the town.
> >
> > David
> >

> And you do? Or are you making a judgement yourself? Double standard in
> play, I'm betting.

So far as I gather David is in San Antonio where I also keep a place,
although I'm seldom there. He might have grown up in or around Waco and
taken offense at my off hand remark. He assumed I may not have known
anything about Waco. In fact when I returned from Southeast Asia in 68'
I was in the hospitial at Fort Hood for six months, went to Waco esp. to
eat
at a fair German place in the old Holiday Inn.

I had a contractor who was from Waco working on a couple places I have
in the Hill Country. He did dirt work, put in driveways, cleared areas
along the river and yacked a lot. That fellow had a lot of stories
about growing up in Waco.

I travel a great deal both in an out of Texas. The Central region,
Coastal planes and Boarder-Plex from Brownsville to
Del Rio I know particularly well. What's happened to small towns and
regional food is depressing. Fast food has replaced
many of the local eateries, Wal-Mart has run many small town stores out
of business and the kids leave town after high school.
In some towns a prison facility or grocery store may be the largest
employer, this is sad. Of one thing you can be sure, doc can always
find the nearest good place to eat be it a taco shack. I might go on to
say; an a few places, in this ever increasing cut'-n-dried state, where
a little magic exist.

What the Hell, I just wanted to know a little more about lingua. :-)

doc

David Wright

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 00:48:00 -0600, "William Jennings"
> wrote:

>"David Wright" > wrote in message
.. .

>> >We call that Wacky Waco which I avoid if I can. Sometimes drive

>though
>> >on the way to Dallas but I seldom
>> >stop unless I need gas..
>> >
>> >doc

>> Speaking of hasty judgments, maybe "Wacky Waco" is one, especially if
>> you know nothing about the town.
>>
>> David
>>

>I was in Waco that Sunday morning February, 1993 the Branch Davidian's
>were raided.

[snip good story]
>Nuff' said on hasty judgements? Would you like to discuss "Keep Austin
>Weird"? http://www.keepaustinweird.com/
>
> I find when the going gets weird the weird turn Pro.
>
>doc

I haven't spent significant time in Waco since the early '60s, but
quite a bit from the late '30s up till then. Waco was where my dad was
raised and where my grandparents and assorted great aunts and uncles
lived. So, Whacky wasn't my image of Waco, but I can see how it might
be if I'd had your experiences there.

There was another person around here who knew Waco from years back and
even knew the one-block-long street my family's house was on. We had a
brief OT discussion about Waco around the time A1 made his appearance,
which is why I remember where he said he lives.

David, an old pro!
William Jennings

"David Wright" > wrote in message

> I haven't spent significant time in Waco since the early '60s, but
> quite a bit from the late '30s up till then. Waco was where my dad was
> raised and where my grandparents and assorted great aunts and uncles
> lived. So, Whacky wasn't my image of Waco, but I can see how it might
> be if I'd had your experiences there.
>
> There was another person around here who knew Waco from years back and
> even knew the one-block-long street my family's house was on. We had a
> brief OT discussion about Waco around the time A1 made his appearance,
> which is why I remember where he said he lives.
>
> David, an old pro!

The late 30's? Hey, did you ever meet Bonnie & Clyde? I heard some of
those old stories around Italy and Ennis county.

David, Waco wasn't wacky back then. You must also know the spooky, VA
Mental Hospital is there now.

< We had a
> brief OT discussion about Waco around the time A1 made his appearance,
> which is why I remember where he said he lives.>

I guess that explains it... A1 resides in Semi-Happy Wacky.

It works for me, does it work for you? :-)

doc

David Wright

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 10:23:48 -0600, "William Jennings"
> wrote:

>"David Wright" > wrote in message
.. .

>> I haven't spent significant time in Waco since the early '60s, but
>> quite a bit from the late '30s up till then. Waco was where my dad was
>> raised and where my grandparents and assorted great aunts and uncles
>> lived. So, Whacky wasn't my image of Waco, but I can see how it might
>> be if I'd had your experiences there.
>>
>> There was another person around here who knew Waco from years back and
>> even knew the one-block-long street my family's house was on. We had a
>> brief OT discussion about Waco around the time A1 made his appearance,
>> which is why I remember where he said he lives.
>>
>> David, an old pro!

>The late 30's? Hey, did you ever meet Bonnie & Clyde? I heard some of
>those old stories around Italy and Ennis county.

Hey, I was born in '37 ... I said I was there, but didn't claim to
remember anything about those visits. I do have a few family photos
from then (Yes, other people, there were cameras in those days!), but
that's about it.

>David, Waco wasn't wacky back then. You must also know the spooky, VA
>Mental Hospital is there now.
>
>< We had a
>> brief OT discussion about Waco around the time A1 made his appearance,
>> which is why I remember where he said he lives.>

>I guess that explains it... A1 resides in Semi-Happy Wacky.
>
>It works for me, does it work for you? :-)

Absolutely! ;-)

>doc

David
The Ranger

David Wright > admitted in message
[snip]
> Hey, I was born in '37 ... I said I was there, but didn't claim to
> remember anything about those visits. I do have a few family
> photos from then (Yes, other people, there were cameras in
> those days!), but that's about it.

[snip]

Fifteen years earlier and they'd've still been using natural pigments and
cave walls along some river to record those times. (Or so my Father-unit
once stated to my gasp at learning when he was born.) <EG>

ObMexicanFood: From
<
http://www.thatsmyhome.com/texmex/main/verdes.htm

ENCHILADAS VERDES

INGREDIENTS:
Green Tomatillo Sauce:
1 pound tomatillos
2 garlic cloves
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 onion, finely chopped
Salt, to taste Pepper, to taste
Enchiladas:
Vegetable oil for frying
12 corn tortillas, homemade or store bought
2 cups shredded cooked chicken or shredded queso (Chihuahua or
Monterey Jack cheese)
3/4 cup sour cream
Chopped cilantro

METHOD:
To make the sauce, soak the tomatillos in a bowl of cold water to loosen the
husks. Drain, and peel off the husks.

Place the tomatillos and garlic in a saucepan with water to cover the
tomatillos halfway and bring to a boil. Boil until the tomatillos are soft,
about 10 minutes. Drain. Transfer the tomatillos and garlic to a blender and
blend to a purée.

Heat the 2 tablespoons of oil in a medium-size saucepan over medium heat.
Add the puréed tomatillos and the onion, and season with salt and pepper.
Bring to a simmer, and simmer for about 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, pour 1/2 inch of vegetable oil into a large skillet and heat over
medium-high heat until hot. One at a time, dip the tortillas into the hot
oil to soften them, just a few seconds. Transfer to paper towels to drain.

Fill the center of the tortillas with the chicken or cheese and fold over
the sides. Place seam side down on individual plates and top with the warm
sauce. Garnish with the sour cream and cilantro.

Note: You can also use the sauce as a dipping sauce for tortilla chips or as
a salsa in other dishes: Add 1 serrano chile, finely chopped, and 1 to 2
tablespoons chopped cilantro, to taste.

Makes 6 servings.

Source: 'Los Barrios Family Cookbook

The Ranger
[NOTES: I would substitute Canola Oil for the Vegetable Oil and Creme
Fraiche for the Sour Cream.]

William Jennings

"The Ranger" > wrote in message

<snip>

> Fifteen years earlier and they'd've still been using natural pigments

and
> cave walls along some river to record those times. (Or so my

Father-unit
> once stated to my gasp at learning when he was born.) <EG>

Oh, so you are from Paint Rock, Texas?

Enchiladas recipe looks good.

Thanks,

doc

> ObMexicanFood: From
> <
> http://www.thatsmyhome.com/texmex/main/verdes.htm
>
> ENCHILADAS VERDES
>
> INGREDIENTS:
> Green Tomatillo Sauce:
> 1 pound tomatillos
> 2 garlic cloves
> 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
> 1/2 onion, finely chopped
> Salt, to taste Pepper, to taste
> Enchiladas:
> Vegetable oil for frying
> 12 corn tortillas, homemade or store bought
> 2 cups shredded cooked chicken or shredded queso (Chihuahua or
> Monterey Jack cheese)
> 3/4 cup sour cream
> Chopped cilantro
>
> METHOD:
> To make the sauce, soak the tomatillos in a bowl of cold water to

loosen the
> husks. Drain, and peel off the husks.
>
> Place the tomatillos and garlic in a saucepan with water to cover the
> tomatillos halfway and bring to a boil. Boil until the tomatillos are

soft,
> about 10 minutes. Drain. Transfer the tomatillos and garlic to a

blender and
> blend to a purée.
>
> Heat the 2 tablespoons of oil in a medium-size saucepan over medium

heat.
> Add the puréed tomatillos and the onion, and season with salt and

pepper.
> Bring to a simmer, and simmer for about 5 minutes.
>
> Meanwhile, pour 1/2 inch of vegetable oil into a large skillet and

heat over
> medium-high heat until hot. One at a time, dip the tortillas into the

hot
> oil to soften them, just a few seconds. Transfer to paper towels to

drain.

> Fill the center of the tortillas with the chicken or cheese and fold

over
> the sides. Place seam side down on individual plates and top with the

warm
> sauce. Garnish with the sour cream and cilantro.
>
> Note: You can also use the sauce as a dipping sauce for tortilla chips

or as
> a salsa in other dishes: Add 1 serrano chile, finely chopped, and 1 to

2
> tablespoons chopped cilantro, to taste.
>
> Makes 6 servings.
>
> Source: 'Los Barrios Family Cookbook
>
> The Ranger
> [NOTES: I would substitute Canola Oil for the Vegetable Oil and Creme
> Fraiche for the Sour Cream.]

William Barfieldsr

"William Jennings" > wrote in message =
>=20
> "David Wright" > wrote in message
>=20
> >(snip)=20

> David, Waco wasn't wacky back then. You must also know the spooky, =

VA
> Mental Hospital is there now.

The VA hospital has been there may years and the government is trying to =
close it down, but the veterans are fighting to keep it open.=20
I think you will find the biggest mental hospital in Austin. I think it =
is terrible that you would make fun of people that can't help =
themselves. Do you have jokes about terminally ill cancer patients? How =
about the babies in the burn units.

--=20
William Barfieldsr
> < We had a
> > brief OT discussion about Waco around the time A1 made his =

appearance,
> > which is why I remember where he said he lives.>

>=20
> I guess that explains it... A1 resides in Semi-Happy Wacky.
>=20
> It works for me, does it work for you? :-)
>=20
> doc
>=20

Jim Lane

William Barfieldsr wrote:

> "William Jennings" > wrote in message ...
>
>>"David Wright" > wrote in message
. ..

>>>(snip)

>>David, Waco wasn't wacky back then. You must also know the spooky, VA
>>Mental Hospital is there now.
>>

> The VA hospital has been there may years and the government is trying to close it down, but the veterans are fighting to keep it open.
> I think you will find the biggest mental hospital in Austin. I think it is terrible that you would make fun of people that can't help themselves. Do you have jokes about terminally ill cancer patients? How about the babies in the burn units.

Nah, just mentalmidgets like you, A-1.

jim

Douglas S. Ladden

William Barfieldsr on 11 Nov 2003 suggested:

> I think you will find the biggest mental hospital in Austin.

This one is too easy.

> I think it is terrible that you would make fun of people that can't help
> themselves.

You would. Humor is how many people deal with things, and in fact,
laughter is anecdotally proven to help people in many ways.

> Do you have jokes about terminally ill cancer patients?

In fact, I do. I have several, and getting more every day!

> How about the babies in the burn units.

Not yet. But I could work on some, if you'd like.

OBTopic: I am really craving some Tacos al Pastor con Queso, the way
they are made at Mario's Tacos in Los Reyes, Mexico. They are incredibly
delicious, and well-served.

--Douglas
Douglas S. Ladden

William Barfieldsr on 11 Nov 2003 suggested:

> I think you will find the biggest mental hospital in Austin.

This one is too easy.

> I think it is terrible that you would make fun of people that can't help
> themselves.

You would. Humor is how many people deal with things, and in fact,
laughter is anecdotally proven to help people in many ways.

> Do you have jokes about terminally ill cancer patients?

In fact, I do. I have several, and getting more every day!

> How about the babies in the burn units.

Not yet.