Linda

Default Hot Dog a la Mexicana

I have eaten many of these myself when I was living in Tucson.

Excerpt taken from: http://nschool.org/mexico/recipeframeset.htm

HOT DOG a la Mexicana

Why offer a recipe
for a hot dog along
with recipes for
authentic Sonoran foods?

The reason is simple.

Mexicans have taken the
humble hot dog to a new
level of culinary art.

Although seldom prepared in
homes, "Hot Doggeros" with
small carts appear on most
street corners in the evening.

Each has his (occasionally her)
own specialty but the basic
ingredients are the same.

As for me, I have always tolerated
hot dogs and found them best when
I am really hungry, but the Mexican
style hot dog has changed that.

I and my whole family really enjoy
them.

The biggest problem that you will
encounter in preparing these hot
dogs is finding the rolls.

Standard hot dog buns are just not going to work.

Even the gourmet buns that I have seen in the U.S. are inadequate. The
Mexican bun is like a large, oblong parker house role. In fact the
version
for hamburger rolls is called "pan Virginia" suggesting the origin of
the
relatively sweet and tender roll. It is not pan birote, a very
different
kind of roll. The Mexican bun (left in
the photo) is distinctly oversized for the hot dog ... a necessity
to accomodate all of the garnishes that are applied. The bread
itself is delicious, ... far superior to the standard hot dog bun.

If you have a recipe for Parker House rolls, just make them
in the shape of a big hot dog bun.

Start with a good hot dog. One favorite in Mexico is the Rosarito brand
which used to be available in the U.S. It is almost equal
in quality to Oscar Mayer.

I recommend standard size hot dogs ... not ball park types.

Wrap the dog in bacon and cook it over charcoal ... Mesquite is
best if you can find it.

Spread Mayonnaise, ketchup, and mustard (if you want it) all over
the inside of the split roll and then add the weenie which should
almost
disappear.

Now garnish generously with some or all of the following. The first
ingredients are more or less required:

Shredded lettuce
Chopped fresh tomato
Cheese (shredded jack, cottage, or liquid nacho type),
Guacamole,
Avocado slices,
Mushrooms,
Jalapeños,
Chopped onions, Thinly sliced red onions in lemon juice,
Pinto beans (whole or refried),
Kernels of cooked corn,
Chopped tripas or chopped beef

I need a dozen napkins to eat a hot dog like this but Mexicans who are
professionals at eating standing up on street corners can down the
whole
thing without the slightest sign of food all over the
face and clothing ...
the way I end up.

Guacamole: Take a ripe avocado, peel it and remove
the seed. Add a little squirt of lemon juice, salt and
pepper and water (less is better). Some Sonoran cooks
add queso de casa (drained cottage cheese is close)
Crush the avocado with a fork and mix until lumpy. Put
the seed in the mixture to help prevent browning.

DesertDad

Right on Linda! I posted about this in the last year and remember some
feedback. I took a friend to Rocky Pointe who is a Brazilian who lived in
New York for many years. After a few too many Tecate's we went down on the
strip and got some dogs about 2AM. Besides having the munchies this guy was
going crazy about the dog.
This article doesn't really mention the Mayonnaise connection correctly. The
Mexican Mayo is made with lime juice not lemon and I feel that is one of the
key ingredients.

The fresh roasted jalapeno is the key too... not pickled but a semi cooked
salted jalapeno makes it the best!

Brad

"Linda" > wrote in message
> [...]
> Mushrooms,
> Jalapeños,
> Chopped onions, Thinly sliced red onions in lemon juice,
> Pinto beans (whole or refried),
> Kernels of cooked corn,
> Chopped tripas or chopped beef
>
> I need a dozen napkins to eat a hot dog like this but Mexicans who are
> professionals at eating standing up on street corners can down the
> whole
> thing without the slightest sign of food all over the
> face and clothing ...
> the way I end up.
>
> Guacamole: Take a ripe avocado, peel it and remove
> the seed. Add a little squirt of lemon juice, salt and
> pepper and water (less is better). Some Sonoran cooks
> add queso de casa (drained cottage cheese is close)
> Crush the avocado with a fork and mix until lumpy. Put
> the seed in the mixture to help prevent browning.

John Droge

"Linda" > wrote in message
> I have eaten many of these myself when I was living in Tucson.
>
> Excerpt taken from: http://nschool.org/mexico/recipeframeset.htm

Thanks for the site--they look and sound fantastic whish they made these in
Denver
I'm gonna have to try that with NY made (the regional packing houses change
the recipes) Hebrew National or Nathan's dogs. IMHO Oscar Mayer hot dogs are
second tier.
Have you had a Chicago style dog made with a Vienna Beef dog? -- they're
fine too.
John

D.Currie

"John Droge" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> "Linda" > wrote in message
> > I have eaten many of these myself when I was living in Tucson.
> >
> > Excerpt taken from: http://nschool.org/mexico/recipeframeset.htm

> Thanks for the site--they look and sound fantastic whish they made these

in
> Denver

Longmont. Marco's Hot Dogs. Only open after 6pm. Not all the toppings,
listed, but with ketchup, mustard, mayo, tomato, onion, pinto beans, cheese.
Peppers and relish and hot sauces available for you to add on.

> I'm gonna have to try that with NY made (the regional packing houses

change
> the recipes) Hebrew National or Nathan's dogs. IMHO Oscar Mayer hot dogs

are
> second tier.
> Have you had a Chicago style dog made with a Vienna Beef dog? -- they're
> fine too.

Now you're killing me. I'm from Chicago, and there's nothing like a Vienna
dog! And pizza. and Italian beef sandwiches with sweet & hot.

sigh.

John Droge

"D.Currie" > wrote in message

> "John Droge" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
> >
> > "Linda" > wrote in message
> > > I have eaten many of these myself when I was living in Tucson.
> > >
> > > Excerpt taken from: http://nschool.org/mexico/recipeframeset.htm

> > Thanks for the site--they look and sound fantastic whish they made these

> in
> > Denver

> Longmont. Marco's Hot Dogs. Only open after 6pm. Not all the toppings,
> listed, but with ketchup, mustard, mayo, tomato, onion, pinto beans,

cheese.
> Peppers and relish and hot sauces available for you to add on.
>
> > I'm gonna have to try that with NY made (the regional packing houses

> change
> > the recipes) Hebrew National or Nathan's dogs. IMHO Oscar Mayer hot dogs

> are
> > second tier.
> > Have you had a Chicago style dog made with a Vienna Beef dog? -- they're
> > fine too.

> Now you're killing me. I'm from Chicago, and there's nothing like a Vienna
> dog! And pizza. and Italian beef sandwiches with sweet & hot.
>
> sigh.

Mustard's Last Stand unless they closed the one on the Diagonal. The one in
Boulder is still open, had 2 last week. I'll hit Longmont next, where's
Marco's, is it on Main? I'm in Broomfield. Mustard's does Italian beef too,
but I don't like sweet peppers so can't testify to them.
John

D.Currie

"John Droge" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> "D.Currie" > wrote in message
> >
> > "John Droge" > wrote in message
> > ink.net...
> > >
> > > "Linda" > wrote in message

> > > Thanks for the site--they look and sound fantastic whish they made

these
> > in
> > > Denver

> > Longmont. Marco's Hot Dogs. Only open after 6pm. Not all the toppings,
> > listed, but with ketchup, mustard, mayo, tomato, onion, pinto beans,

> cheese.
> > Peppers and relish and hot sauces available for you to add on.
> >
> > > I'm gonna have to try that with NY made (the regional packing houses

> > change
> > > the recipes) Hebrew National or Nathan's dogs. IMHO Oscar Mayer hot

dogs
> > are
> > > second tier.
> > > Have you had a Chicago style dog made with a Vienna Beef dog? --

they're
> > > fine too.

> > Now you're killing me. I'm from Chicago, and there's nothing like a

Vienna
> > dog! And pizza. and Italian beef sandwiches with sweet & hot.
> >
> > sigh.

> Mustard's Last Stand unless they closed the one on the Diagonal. The one

in
> Boulder is still open, had 2 last week.

I've been to the one in Boulder. They're pretty close, and taste better the
longer I've been away from Chicago

I'll hit Longmont next, where's
> Marco's, is it on Main?

On 17th, just east of Main. In the parking lot of Elia's Burritos. WHen
Elia's closes, Marco pulls the wagons out and starts cooking in the parking
lot. Opens at 6pm, closed Sundays.

I've never eaten at Elia's, but we've become regulars at Marco's.

enjoy!

Linda

"D.Currie" > wrote in message

> "John Droge" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
> >
> > "D.Currie" > wrote in message
> > >
> > > "John Droge" > wrote in message
> > > ink.net...

> these
> > > in
> > >
> > > Longmont. Marco's Hot Dogs. Only open after 6pm. Not all the toppings,
> > > listed, but with ketchup, mustard, mayo, tomato, onion, pinto beans,

> > cheese.
> > > Peppers and relish and hot sauces available for you to add on.

houses
> > > change

> dogs
> > > are

> they're
> > >
> > > Now you're killing me. I'm from Chicago, and there's nothing like a

> Vienna
> > > dog! And pizza. and Italian beef sandwiches with sweet & hot.
> > >
> > > sigh.

> > Mustard's Last Stand unless they closed the one on the Diagonal. The one

> in
> > Boulder is still open, had 2 last week.

> I've been to the one in Boulder. They're pretty close, and taste better

the
> longer I've been away from Chicago
>
> I'll hit Longmont next, where's
> > Marco's, is it on Main?

> On 17th, just east of Main. In the parking lot of Elia's Burritos. WHen
> Elia's closes, Marco pulls the wagons out and starts cooking in the

parking
> lot. Opens at 6pm, closed Sundays.
>
> I've never eaten at Elia's, but we've become regulars at Marco's.
>
> enjoy!

O.k. this is waaay off base, but if I can get my opinion in, I like New York
Style kraut dogs.

Linda

DesertDad

If you go to Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point) Sonora try the guy who sets up
next to the Tecate Store by the railroad tracks on the strip heading out to
the Plaza las Glorias...

Brad

"Linda" > wrote in message

> "D.Currie" > wrote in message
> >
> > "John Droge" > wrote in message
> > ink.net...

http://nschool.org/mexico/recipeframeset.htm

> > these

toppings,
> > > cheese.

> houses

hot
> > dogs

> > they're

> > Vienna

> > > Mustard's Last Stand unless they closed the one on the Diagonal. The

one
> > in
> > > Boulder is still open, had 2 last week.

> > I've been to the one in Boulder. They're pretty close, and taste better

> the
> > longer I've been away from Chicago
> >
> > I'll hit Longmont next, where's
> > > Marco's, is it on Main?

> > On 17th, just east of Main. In the parking lot of Elia's Burritos. WHen
> > Elia's closes, Marco pulls the wagons out and starts cooking in the

> parking
> > lot. Opens at 6pm, closed Sundays.
> >
> > I've never eaten at Elia's, but we've become regulars at Marco's.
> >
> > enjoy!
> >

> O.k. this is waaay off base, but if I can get my opinion in, I like New

York
> Style kraut dogs.
>
> Linda

A1 WBarfieldsr

"DesertDad" > wrote in message
> If you go to Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point) Sonora try the guy who sets up
> next to the Tecate Store by the railroad tracks on the strip heading out

> the Plaza las Glorias...
>

> Brad

Tucson.

> http://nschool.org/mexico/recipeframeset.htm
> > > > > >

> > O.k. this is waaay off base, but if I can get my opinion in, I like New

> York
> > Style kraut dogs.
> >
> > Linda

Ok, Mrs. Linda, really there are certainly more appropriate sites for this
sort of food. Such as, rec.food.recipes, alt.food.cooking,or
alt.creative-cooking.
William Barfieldsr

Jim Lane

A1 WBarfieldsr wrote:

> "DesertDad" > wrote in message
>
>>If you go to Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point) Sonora try the guy who sets up
>>next to the Tecate Store by the railroad tracks on the strip heading out

>>the Plaza las Glorias...
>>

>>Brad

> Tucson.

>>http://nschool.org/mexico/recipeframeset.htm
>>
>>>O.k. this is waaay off base, but if I can get my opinion in, I like New

>>York
>>
>>>Style kraut dogs.
>>>
>>>Linda
>>>

> Ok, Mrs. Linda, really there are certainly more appropriate sites for this
> sort of food. Such as, rec.food.recipes, alt.food.cooking,or
> alt.creative-cooking.
> William Barfieldsr

Off your meds, A-1?

jim

A1 WBarfieldsr

LMAO
--
William Barfieldsr
"Jim Lane" > wrote in message
> A1 WBarfieldsr wrote:
>

> > "DesertDad" > wrote in message
> >
> >>If you go to Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point) Sonora try the guy who sets

up
> >>next to the Tecate Store by the railroad tracks on the strip heading

out

> >>the Plaza las Glorias...
> >>

> >>Brad

> > Tucson.

> >>http://nschool.org/mexico/recipeframeset.htm

New

> >>York

> > Ok, Mrs. Linda, really there are certainly more appropriate sites for

this
> > sort of food. Such as, rec.food.recipes, alt.food.cooking,or
> > alt.creative-cooking.
> > William Barfieldsr
> >

> Off your meds, A-1?
>

> jim

Linda

"A1 WBarfieldsr" > wrote in message

> "DesertDad" > wrote in message
> > If you go to Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point) Sonora try the guy who sets up
> > next to the Tecate Store by the railroad tracks on the strip heading out

> > the Plaza las Glorias...
> >

> > Brad

> Tucson.

> > http://nschool.org/mexico/recipeframeset.htm
> > > > > > >

> > > O.k. this is waaay off base, but if I can get my opinion in, I like

New
> > York
> > > Style kraut dogs.
> > >
> > > Linda
> > >

> Ok, Mrs. Linda, really there are certainly more appropriate sites for

this
> sort of food. Such as, rec.food.recipes, alt.food.cooking,or
> alt.creative-cooking.
> William Barfieldsr

It said it was off base, besides, I didn't post a recipe for New York Kraut
dogs.

Linda

Jim Lane

A1 WBarfieldsr wrote:
> LMAO

Glad they haven't destroyed your sense of humor!

jim

DesertDad

"Linda" > wrote in message

> "A1 WBarfieldsr" > wrote in message
> >

> > "DesertDad" > wrote in message
> > > If you go to Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point) Sonora try the guy who sets

up
> > > next to the Tecate Store by the railroad tracks on the strip heading

out
> > > the Plaza las Glorias...
> > >

> > > Brad

> > Tucson.

> > > http://nschool.org/mexico/recipeframeset.htm

> New
> > > York

> > Ok, Mrs. Linda, really there are certainly more appropriate sites for

> this
> > sort of food. Such as, rec.food.recipes, alt.food.cooking,or
> > alt.creative-cooking.
> > William Barfieldsr
> > >

> It said it was off base, besides, I didn't post a recipe for New York

Kraut
> dogs.
>
> Linda

If A1 would actually go to Mexico and try a hot dog he may reconsider his
reply. I had visited for years before trying a hot dog down there because
there are so many "authentic" choices on the streets but I'm glad I did. Now
I look forward to visiting my favorite hot dog stand and will try many more.

Brad

A1 WBarfieldsr

Linda, I'm sorry for that remark. It was in fun I assure you. It seems
allot of people here are just way too serious about this Mexican food
thing. If you are a chef in an restaurant that is suppose to serve only
"Authentic Mexican" meals as opposed to having a diverse menu, I can see
how serving German Sausage and Kraut or moose steaks would go against the
grain. This is why there are so many different kinds of eating
establishments in America. Having said that, I'll bet you can still get a
good hamburger in the finest Italian restaurant in NYC, or a bowl of hot
chili in a restaurant in main. Variety is the spice of life, that's why
there are so many different cook books.
--
William Barfieldsr

like
> > New

> > > Ok, Mrs. Linda, really there are certainly more appropriate sites

for
> > this
> > > sort of food. Such as, rec.food.recipes, alt.food.cooking,or
> > > alt.creative-cooking.
> > > William Barfieldsr
> > > >

> > It said it was off base, besides, I didn't post a recipe for New York

> Kraut
> > dogs.
> >
> > Linda
> >

> If A1 would actually go to Mexico and try a hot dog he may reconsider his
> reply. I had visited for years before trying a hot dog down there because
> there are so many "authentic" choices on the streets but I'm glad I did.

Now
> I look forward to visiting my favorite hot dog stand and will try many

more.

> Brad

Seafood's Lobster Mexicana Community guy Mexican Cooking 22 15-11-2006 08:44 PM
Looking for Good Recipe for Bistec a la Mexicana Junior Moore Mexican Cooking 1 25-04-2006 03:26 PM
Pumpkin Chili Mexicana Duckie ® Recipes 0 08-11-2005 04:08 PM
Pork Loin Mexicana Duckie ® Recipes 0 24-06-2005 11:30 PM
Arroz a La Mexicana (Mexican Rice with Vegetables) MrFalafel Vegan 0 06-10-2003 12:17 PM