Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default guacamole

The real deal. Prepared at Dos Caminos in NYC.
http://realmeals.tv/pro-meals.aspx?b...id=3 67269700

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Apr 17, 9:38 am, wrote:
> The real deal. Prepared at Dos Caminos in NYC.http://realmeals.tv/pro-meals.aspx?b...d=715959423&bc...

I didn't wait for the part where he added the spam.

David

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

dtwright37 wrote:
> On Apr 17, 9:38 am, wrote:
>> The real deal. Prepared at Dos Caminos in NYC.http://realmeals.tv/pro-meals.aspx?b...d=715959423&bc...

> I didn't wait for the part where he added the spam.
>
> David

Great site.. not! it only took 20 minutes to stream a 4 minute video.
Someone should send this guy back to culinary school so he can learn how
to remove an avocado pit the first time.
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Apr 18, 12:46 pm, Sonoran Dude > wrote:
> dtwright37 wrote:
> > On Apr 17, 9:38 am, wrote:
> >> The real deal. Prepared at Dos Caminos in NYC.http://realmeals.tv/pro-meals.aspx?b...d=715959423&bc...

> > I didn't wait for the part where he added the spam.

> > David

> Great site.. not! it only took 20 minutes to stream a 4 minute video.
> Someone should send this guy back to culinary school so he can learn how
> to remove an avocado pit the first time.

The guacamole recipe was OK, however, a molcajete is not a mixing
bowl... it's for grinding ingredients. Listening to the chef telling
that clueless bimbo that it, somehow, affects the flavor of the food
was hard to do. Frankly, my main problem, as someone who spends most
of his time in Mexico, is that in all my years in Mexico, I have never
heard a Mexican pronounce the word as "GWak-a-molie". The only way I
have ever heard it in Mexico is "wak-a-moh-lay". If you look up the
pronunciation on Google, you will see it both ways... but I have never
heard a hard "g" in a "gua" configuration in Mexico.

It reminds me of the Jack in the Box commercial where Jack calls
bruschetta "brew shetta" instead of "bruce Ketta". I don't eat any
dish in a restaurant that the chef cannot pronounce.

Git a rope.

However, out of respect for the poster... the guacamole would have
tasted fine... there are several (many) ways to make it.

Jack

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Apr 19, 12:26�pm, Jack Tyler > wrote:

> Frankly, my main problem, as someone who spends most
> of his time in Mexico, is that in all my years in Mexico, I have never
> heard a Mexican pronounce the word as "GWak-a-molie". *The only way I
> have ever heard it in Mexico is "wak-a-moh-lay". * If you look up the
> pronunciation on Google, you will see it both ways... but I have never
> heard a hard "g" in a "gua" configuration in Mexico.

Guacamole: etymology: Mexican Spanish, from the Nahuatl "ahuacamOlli",
from "ahuacatl" (avocado).

Somebody guessing about how to pronounce "ahuacatl" might come up with
"ah-wha-COT-ul", but they'd be wrong.

In "ahuacatl" the final "tl" sound is more like "thluh". Can you say
"cluh" with your tongue hitting the roof of your mouth behind your
teeth? Soften and shorten the "cluh" and you have "thluh"...

The final "thluh" and "tlee" (tlii) sounds are common among Native
American languages.

A Nahuatl speaker would say "ah-wha-COT-thluh"

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Apr 19, 2:26 pm, Jack Tyler > wrote:

> Frankly, my main problem, as someone who spends most
> of his time in Mexico, is that in all my years in Mexico, I have never
> heard a Mexican pronounce the word as "GWak-a-molie". The only way I
> have ever heard it in Mexico is "wak-a-moh-lay". If you look up the
> pronunciation on Google, you will see it both ways... but I have never
> heard a hard "g" in a "gua" configuration in Mexico.
> Jack

I agree. My mother spent her formative years in Mexico (but left
before I came around, dang it!) and I never heard her say that word
other than how you described it. Same for the word for water. It was
"ah-wah," not "aug-wa."

David

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Apr 19, 5:30 pm, dtwright37 > wrote:
> On Apr 19, 2:26 pm, Jack Tyler > wrote:
>

> > Frankly, my main problem, as someone who spends most
> > of his time in Mexico, is that in all my years in Mexico, I have never
> > heard a Mexican pronounce the word as "GWak-a-molie". The only way I
> > have ever heard it in Mexico is "wak-a-moh-lay". If you look up the
> > pronunciation on Google, you will see it both ways... but I have never
> > heard a hard "g" in a "gua" configuration in Mexico.
> > Jack

> I agree. My mother spent her formative years in Mexico (but left
> before I came around, dang it!) and I never heard her say that word
> other than how you described it. Same for the word for water. It was
> "ah-wah," not "aug-wa."
>
> David

P.S. She lived with her family in Wah-tah-la-HAR-ah.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On 19 Apr 2007 12:26:52 -0700, Jack Tyler
> wrote:

> Frankly, my main problem, as someone who spends most
>of his time in Mexico, is that in all my years in Mexico, I have never
>heard a Mexican pronounce the word as "GWak-a-molie". The only way I
>have ever heard it in Mexico is "wak-a-moh-lay". If you look up the
>pronunciation on Google, you will see it both ways... but I have never
>heard a hard "g" in a "gua" configuration in Mexico.

I agree, Jack - it's grating to the ears to hear something so common
badly mispronounced. But I guess it's a fact of life in the US where
many don't speak other languages - things get americanized. Someone
who speaks spanish would know how to pronounce it correctly.

>It reminds me of the Jack in the Box commercial where Jack calls
>bruschetta "brew shetta" instead of "bruce Ketta". I don't eat any
>dish in a restaurant that the chef cannot pronounce.
>
>Git a rope.

I live in Italy and I hear this all the time, but you can't expect
everyone to speak Italian correctly. Even though it's like the sound
of fingernails on a blackboard to me to hear it spoken incorrectly, I
can't expect everyone to know the language. BUT as you said, a chef
making an Italian dish should know how to pronounce it.

jim

Guacamole James Silverton[_4_] General Cooking 23 28-02-2013 11:04 PM
Guacamole Bryan[_6_] General Cooking 13 18-12-2012 06:47 AM
Guacamole Janet Wilder[_1_] Recipes (moderated) 0 16-05-2008 03:41 AM
Guacamole Dip Travis and Jenn Bartimus Recipes (moderated) 0 05-07-2006 02:08 AM
Guacamole Charles Gifford Mexican Cooking 16 14-03-2005 04:14 PM