Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default Tampico

Recently it was copied in this NG that Tampiquena is Flank steak

To correct the gringo mythology as copied from internet sources and badly
translated Newspapers, and other sources he failed to quote; Carne
Tampiquena,Carne a la Tampiquena, Meat in the style of Tampico is not one of
a certain cut, as translated in this NG but one of the many Carne Asado
recipe styles that abound through out all of Mexico from Campeche to
Sonora. It is no different than Polpette alla Napoletana ( Neapolitan
Meatballs ) can be made in NY or LA just as well in Naples if the similar
main ingredients can be had.

It can be any cut of Beef. Carne. Asado de Tampico is the branding of a
style in the region yet appears it is mostly meat from the top side of the
beef the Loin rather than the Bottom chest, the Plate. So Google for
recipes if you do not have cookbooks. Meantime her are a couple:

http://www.bookofrai.com/my_weblog/2...od_of_tam.html

Carne Asada a La Tampiqueña - Tampico Steak
2 pounds fillet( not to be confused with Flank) steak, cut into 12 about
1/4-inch thick and 6 inch long
pieces
4 tablespoons lime juice
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 chili anchos (dry red hot pepper), soaked overnight and drained
1 large tomato, chopped
5 cloves garlic, crushed
1 small onion, chopped
6 small pieces of a rubbery type of cheese*, lightly fried
3 small limes, cut in half
6 tortillas, corn or wheat, six-inch in diameter, fried 20 seconds on each
side
guacamole frijoles de olla (beans in a pot)
6 strips of roasted rajas (hot pepper)
shredded lettuce
Sprinkle steak with lime juice, 1 ½ teaspoon of the salt and pepper,
then allow to stand for an hour or more.
In the meantime, liquefy in a blender chili anchos, tomato, garlic,
onion and remaining salt to make salsa, then set aside.
Grill steak very quickly - a few minutes on each side - then place two
pieces on each plate. Beside the steak, place a piece of the fried cheese,
a half lime, a tortilla dipped in the salsa and folded over, 2 tablespoons
of guacamole, two tablespoons beans, a strip of rojas and some shredded
lettuce. Serve along with cooked rice as a side dish.

Another using Sirloin

Title: Tampican Beef (Carne Tampiquena)
Yield: 1 Servings

Ingredients

6 thin strips sirloin
2 chili anchos
1 sm tomato
1 clove garlic
1/2 onion
6 pieces queso asadero
6 tortillas
2 avocados
1 onion
6 limes
4 tb oil
1 salt

Instructions

Toast, hollow out and soak the chilis. Liquefy them with the tomato,
garlic, onion and salt. Fry until the flavor peaks. Put lime and salt on
the meat. Grill it, or barbecue it, preferably over a high flame. Grill the
cheese very quickly, taking care that it doesn't burn. On each plate, place
a strip of meat, a piece of the grilled cheese, a tortilla dipped in the
salsa and folded over, a half lime, guacamole and slices of onion. Serve
with hot tortillas and beans.

Posted to CHILE-HEADS DIGEST V3 #092

Date: Mon, 2 Sep 1996 11:42:58 -0400

From: (The Meades)

http://translate.google.com/translat...ampiq% 2ehtml

Ingredients:
6 thin strips of aguayón* (sirloin) without flattening
2 Anchos
1 small tomato
1 clove of garlic
1 onion
6 pieces asadero cheese 6 tortillas
2 avocados
1 onion
6 lemons
4 soperas spoonfuls of oil
salt
Procedu
Toast, de vein and soak the chili peppers; mix in the tomato, garlic, the
piece of onion and salt.
season the meat with lemon and salt ; grill, to desired level of preference
over a coal fire. melt the cheese, taking care not to burn.
Place on each plate a strip of meat, a piece of melted cheese, a lightly
fried tortilla folded, a lemon slice , guacamole and sliced onion.
(One uses with hot tortillas and frijoles).

* Aguayon: http://www.usmef.org/IMM/IMM_beef/8_...on_Control.pdf

google the rest of the recipes and style.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Mar 19, 3:23 pm, "Gunner" <gunner@ spam.com> wrote:
> Recently it was copied in this NG that Tampiquena is Flank steak
>
> To correct the gringo mythology as copied from internet sources and badly
> translated Newspapers, and other sources he failed to quote

If that's what it takes to get the recipes and information out, I will
keep making errors, ya pedantic prick. ;-)

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"The Galloping Gourmand" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Mar 19, 3:23 pm, "Gunner" <gunner@ spam.com> wrote:
> > Recently it was copied in this NG that Tampiquena is Flank steak
> >
> > To correct the gringo mythology as copied from internet sources and

badly
> > translated Newspapers, and other sources he failed to quote

> If that's what it takes to get the recipes and information out, I will
> keep making errors, ya pedantic prick. ;-)

Stop it! You are losing whatever credibility you might have had by this
continuous and unending assault on forum members and others.

I don't know about the others, but I'm about to put you on my kill-file. You
are not much fun when all you can do is insult us.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Mar 21, 11:52?am, "Wayne Lundberg" >
wrote:
> "The Galloping Gourmand" > wrote in ooglegroups.com
> > If that's what it takes to get the recipes and information out, I will
> > keep making errors, ya pedantic prick. ;-)

> Stop it! You are losing whatever credibility you might have had by this
> continuous and unending assault on forum members and others.
>
> I don't know about the others, but I'm about to put you on my kill-file. You
> are not much fun when all you can do is insult us.

Who, me? I seem to recall that you kill filed Gunner about two months
ago.

What's fair in this NG? Who gets to attack whom and get away with it?

Who gets to be the pedant and have his pedantry ignored?

Remember what I told you a few days ago about how newsgroups get
dominated by a few individuals that only want to socialize and have no
new information to add to the main topic of the group?

That's what has been going on here for the last two years. If you look
around Usenet, you'll find hundreds or thousands of newsgroups that
have gone extinct, as nobody posts anything but spam to them, after
the active participants gave up trying to share information and made
it into a chat room where the daily badinage gets archived forever.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"The Galloping Gourmand" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Mar 19, 3:23 pm, "Gunner" <gunner@ spam.com> wrote:
>> Recently it was copied in this NG that Tampiquena is Flank steak
>>
>> To correct the gringo mythology as copied from internet sources and badly
>> translated Newspapers, and other sources he failed to quote

" I will keep making errors"

Yea, no sense trying to correct your losing steak now, You have made a
career of it so far

, ya pedantic prick. ;-)

Good to see you learned a new word from Dave